Home & Garden

Gas for Lawnmower - Shell 91 or Chevon 94?

• Last Updated:
  • May 23rd, 2018 1:05 pm
Deal Expert
Jul 5, 2004
27438 posts
6807 upvotes
BeapChastard wrote: I've been using 87 (with ethanol) in my cheap poulan pro lawn mower for years and it still runs fine. Explain that if you're so smart.
My grandmother has smoked for over 60 years and doesn't have lung cancer. Clearly smoking doesn't cause lung cancer.

Or perhaps anecdotal evidence clearly isn't evidence of anything.
Deal Addict
Mar 28, 2011
2144 posts
2604 upvotes
Toronto
I use shell 91 in both snow blower and lawn mower (both a Briggs Stratton)

The snow blower has an electric start so it’s easy but the lawn mower takes a few pulls each spring and burns white and black smoke for a minute and all is good (took 10 pulls this spring lol and I was about to dump the fuel and try with fresh 91 but the 10th pull worked)

I do use fuel stabilizer though and mix in the tank while in storage (store the mower in a shed and the blower in the garage

Never drained in the last 4 years and I just top up the engine oil (the lawnmower was a top up engine from Briggs and the snowblower oil level was still good and not dark)
Deal Addict
Dec 23, 2015
2472 posts
1906 upvotes
Newmarket, ON
To empty the tank, all you do is put a container under the carburetor then unscrew the screw in the bottom of the carb (not the one at the very bottom but the one facing diagonally) and all the fuel drains out thru there. If you empty all the fuel, there is no need to use stabilizer, and there is nothing left to gunk up the carb. This is what I have been doing for years and every spring my lawn mower starts without a problem and every winter my snow blower starts without a problem. I've never used anything but 87.
Deal Guru
Nov 18, 2005
11955 posts
3699 upvotes
Kingston
rotjong wrote: If your lawn mower is a high performance machine and cost you a half million bucks, put in high octane fuel, If your machine is a Canadian tire, homedepot or Lowes special less then $500 just use regular fuel.
+1 + fuel stablizer which addresses the ethanol but at a lot cheaper price.
I also agree with the post on running the machine dry in the fall then adding fresh gas in the spring.