• Dec 10th, 2016 12:34 pm
Tags:
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jan 13, 2007
1469 posts
310 upvotes

gas leaks in the house?

Had enbridge head over to my house when I smelt gas, and they confirmed it was a gas leak. they said they cannot identify the leak, but turned off the gas supply. They asked us to get our own contractor to come out and confirm where the leak is to fix it.

this is the first time this has happened, anyone know of any good contractors, how much they charge (which is obviously besides the point as safety is first). And how does one identify where the leak is coming from?
10 replies
Deal Addict
Oct 13, 2014
1566 posts
873 upvotes
Just Moved To Somewh…
I can probably suggest various methods to detect the leak without using specialized equipment (soapy water test), however seeing as the gas itself was shut off you will have to get a gas fitter to do any repairs before you can have the gas turned back on. Just call some of your local HVAC companies and plumbers that have gas certification. Unfortunately without a location I can not even begin to make a suggestion as to what company.
“Before one can have a Clue they must first accumulate 10 Inklings. That said, all it takes is one bad post and you erase all Clues accumulated'"
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jan 13, 2007
1469 posts
310 upvotes
Sorry location is mimico - south Etobicoke
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jan 13, 2007
1469 posts
310 upvotes
Anyone know if home insurance covers fixing or gas leaks?
Deal Addict
Mar 8, 2002
4223 posts
853 upvotes
Ottawa
utopianbl wrote:
Dec 9th, 2016 12:16 pm
Anyone know if home insurance covers fixing or gas leaks?
Some home insurers or mortgage companies have an add-on plan that covers emergency home repairs, but it costs extra.

Just use Google or the Yellowpages.ca site to find a local HVAC contractor. Any of them will be TSSA approved to work on gas piping.
Deal Addict
Feb 4, 2015
4261 posts
1269 upvotes
Canada, Eh!!
Surprised enbridge did not attempt to find source of leak especially in winter.

Was the smell all over house, only basement, only furnace room?

Any recent renos or replacement [hot water tank, furnace, stove, added gas line]?
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jan 13, 2007
1469 posts
310 upvotes
georvu wrote:
Dec 9th, 2016 9:00 pm
Surprised enbridge did not attempt to find source of leak especially in winter.

Was the smell all over house, only basement, only furnace room?

Any recent renos or replacement [hot water tank, furnace, stove, added gas line]?
Yeah that's what the contractor said - no real renos recently. But the culprit the water tank was replaced last year. But I find it very, VERY hard to believe we had a leak over the year - as this was first time we caught the smell. And the smell is so distinctive.

Ultimately contractor said that couple of pipes had come loose into the hot water tank - and were tightened. The smell this morning was coming from couple of bedrooms and corridors. It seems like the smell seeped through into the air vent system in the furnace room and made its way across the house. I can only hypothesize that the valve came loose within the tank over the past couple of days and then it started to seep out.

It's a scary experience with two young kids in the house. Heading to buy a Natural Gas detector tomorrow morning.
Deal Addict
Feb 4, 2015
4261 posts
1269 upvotes
Canada, Eh!!
utopianbl wrote:
Dec 9th, 2016 9:24 pm
Yeah that's what the contractor said - no real renos recently. But the culprit the water tank was replaced last year. But I find it very, VERY hard to believe we had a leak over the year - as this was first time we caught the smell. And the smell is so distinctive.

Ultimately contractor said that couple of pipes had come loose into the hot water tank - and were tightened. The smell this morning was coming from couple of bedrooms and corridors. It seems like the smell seeped through into the air vent system in the furnace room and made its way across the house. I can only hypothesize that the valve came loose within the tank over the past couple of days and then it started to seep out.

It's a scary experience with two young kids in the house. Heading to buy a Natural Gas detector tomorrow morning.
Glad you found source. hmmm... we had new tank earlier this year so might be time to at least do a soapy test.

Pls advise what gas detector you get. Reason I ask is that relative got new furnace last year and they smell faint gas when take furnace cover off, with cover on no smell in house or even in furnace room. Several techs found no leaks.

Folks in hvac thread did confirm that faint smell with cover off seems to happen with newer furnaces but I'm sure relative would not mind if I got them a detector as xmas gift. Thanks
Deal Expert
Feb 8, 2014
15518 posts
4821 upvotes
I get the feeling you should have called the fire department, not sure if they would have found the source or they just turn off as well. That train has passed anyways, i don't live in your area so can't recommend anyone, but ask family and friends if they know anyone, google gas fixture (furnace and water tank) companies in your area, make some phone calls ask for prices if not listed on their websites for service calls (though most service calls are for a broken appliance, not a mystery leak), and go from there.
The beatings will continue until morale improves
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jan 13, 2007
1469 posts
310 upvotes
Quentin5 wrote:
Dec 9th, 2016 11:51 pm
I get the feeling you should have called the fire department, not sure if they would have found the source or they just turn off as well. That train has passed anyways, i don't live in your area so can't recommend anyone, but ask family and friends if they know anyone, google gas fixture (furnace and water tank) companies in your area, make some phone calls ask for prices if not listed on their websites for service calls (though most service calls are for a broken appliance, not a mystery leak), and go from there.
Cheers, my first point of contact was Enbridge who were quick to respond, and turn off the exterior valve. Then it just getting in the right guy to check on the leak. I initially thought going with a contractor was my first course of action; but then the contractor confirmed my leak was in the water heater.
Deal Expert
Feb 8, 2014
15518 posts
4821 upvotes
utopianbl wrote:
Dec 10th, 2016 12:29 pm
Cheers, my first point of contact was Enbridge who were quick to respond, and turn off the exterior valve. Then it just getting in the right guy to check on the leak. I initially thought going with a contractor was my first course of action; but then the contractor confirmed my leak was in the water heater.
Ok so if you know the leak is in the water heater you need a tech to fix it, and such a tech should be able to turn your furnace back on assuming the piping has shutoffs and the furnace is piped in a way that you can isolate the water tank till its repaired.
If the water tank is rented then call the company, the repair should be included in the rental fee.
The beatings will continue until morale improves