Automotive

Gas Pump clicks to early? Possible EVAP Charcoal issue?

• Last Updated:
  • May 11th, 2020 9:17 am
Deal Addict
Oct 17, 2010
2059 posts
359 upvotes

Gas Pump clicks to early? Possible EVAP Charcoal issue?

so i noticed during the last couple weeks, whenever i pump gas, the trigger handle would click way to early. like even when 4 liters are in, it stops, even though the tank is half empty. a little jiggle usually fixes it after a few try's.

is this an issue witht he eVAP system with the caR? its only 2 1/2 year old toyota.

could this issue be cause by topping off the gas during previous fill ups? (i.e - after the trrigger clicks, some people hit the tirgger again for a few more seconds before it clicks a second time to top off th egas tank). internet says this could gas gas to go into the evap system when its only designed for vapor. if thats the case, would it clean itself out ?

Thanks in advance
19 replies
Dec 1, 2013
146 posts
112 upvotes
I get this too, it seems to depend on the pump itself, many I have no issue but occasional it happens, goes away if you pull the nozzle slightly back. I don't think it's an issue with your car. I go to the same station by my office, pump 3 it never happens, pump 7 it happens every time.
Deal Addict
Oct 17, 2010
2059 posts
359 upvotes
Dealfan6 wrote: I get this too, it seems to depend on the pump itself, many I have no issue but occasional it happens, goes away if you pull the nozzle slightly back. I don't think it's an issue with your car. I go to the same station by my office, pump 3 it never happens, pump 7 it happens every time.
Thanks. It happened at an esso station and at a Canadian tire station so not sure if it’s the pump or car. Will keep an eye on it, warranty ends at end of year so we’ll see what happens
Deal Addict
Mar 30, 2010
3083 posts
1445 upvotes
GTA
I've had it happen at numerous gas stations, a Costco one does it often to me on one car but not another.

I dont think it's a car issue, and I'm pretty sure all of the valves in the EVAP system should be closed when the car's off anyhow (and if they were open, it wouldnt' hurt the situation).
Oct 16, 2019
415 posts
406 upvotes
From my experience, if you squeeze the nozzle trigger all the way back, chances are it will click early. I always squeeze it half way, and it never clicks early.
Deal Fanatic
Jul 26, 2007
7579 posts
5274 upvotes
Toronto
Leungss wrote: From my experience, if you squeeze the nozzle trigger all the way back, chances are it will click early. I always squeeze it half way, and it never clicks early.
I learned my lesson when Costco pump overflowed gas all over. Now I got in habit of squeezing half way when I am about full. Less bubbles and gauge is dead on.
Deal Expert
May 10, 2005
36997 posts
11419 upvotes
Ottawa
This happens at all pumps depending on the pressure in the pump. All gas pumps are designed to not allow spillover. They sense back pressure and shut off. Ease up on the trigger and it will fill just fine.
All cars have different routing from the filler neck to the tank sometimes the curve in the filler neck prevents full pump pressure.
“Those people who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do.”
Deal Addict
Oct 17, 2010
2059 posts
359 upvotes
Viperoni wrote: I've had it happen at numerous gas stations, a Costco one does it often to me on one car but not another.

I dont think it's a car issue, and I'm pretty sure all of the valves in the EVAP system should be closed when the car's off anyhow (and if they were open, it wouldnt' hurt the situation).
jackrabbit000 wrote: This^^^^^. Happened to me also and this is what I do.
Leungss wrote: From my experience, if you squeeze the nozzle trigger all the way back, chances are it will click early. I always squeeze it half way, and it never clicks early.
peteryorkuca wrote: I learned my lesson when Costco pump overflowed gas all over. Now I got in habit of squeezing half way when I am about full. Less bubbles and gauge is dead on.
Pete_Coach wrote: This happens at all pumps depending on the pressure in the pump. All gas pumps are designed to not allow spillover. They sense back pressure and shut off. Ease up on the trigger and it will fill just fine.
All cars have different routing from the filler neck to the tank sometimes the curve in the filler neck prevents full pump pressure.
Thanks everyone.

I was concerned when i "researched" this as i know during almost 3 years of ownership i always liked to top off the gas a little more after the first click and let it click a 2nd or even 3rd time around. And many forums said thats bad and many mentioed about the EVAC system that helps draw gas vapor awwway from the tank as the gas is pouring in. this has never happened before unti the last 2 times i pumped at my regular gas station. apparently if not enough of the gas vapor is escaping into the EVAC, the gas pump senses pressure and assumes its near full so i presumed maybe i screwed up.

I will take note and try easing half way with the gas trigger pump and see if it still happens when the tank is at least a25% empty.

Will update again. Thank you everyone for your reassurance.

Side question, do any of you guys top off your gas tank even after the pump clicks off the first time around?
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2011
41802 posts
30057 upvotes
Center of Universe
thatsnazzyiphoneguy wrote: Thanks everyone.

I was concerned when i "researched" this as i know during almost 3 years of ownership i always liked to top off the gas a little more after the first click and let it click a 2nd or even 3rd time around. And many forums said thats bad and many mentioed about the EVAC system that helps draw gas vapor awwway from the tank as the gas is pouring in. this has never happened before unti the last 2 times i pumped at my regular gas station. apparently if not enough of the gas vapor is escaping into the EVAC, the gas pump senses pressure and assumes its near full so i presumed maybe i screwed up.

I will take note and try easing half way with the gas trigger pump and see if it still happens when the tank is at least a25% empty.

Will update again. Thank you everyone for your reassurance.

Side question, do any of you guys top off your gas tank even after the pump clicks off the first time around?
Never.
I fill up at Costco, lock the trigger down and when it stops, I'm done.
Deal Guru
Sep 3, 2003
13027 posts
2269 upvotes
Toronto
thatsnazzyiphoneguy wrote: Side question, do any of you guys top off your gas tank even after the pump clicks off the first time around?
It's often recommended not to do this. Check your owner's manual, in the section about refuelling.
Deal with it.
Dec 4, 2017
706 posts
734 upvotes
Toronto
Coworker with 2019 BMW X5 tops up fuel after first click. Had check engine light recently. Now he's waiting 3 weeks for new EVAP unit from Germany. Don't know why people find it so crucial to get extra 1 or 2 litres of fuel.
Deal Addict
Mar 30, 2010
3083 posts
1445 upvotes
GTA
I only round up to the next liter if I'm filling up at a rewards type gas station, but otherwise you *should* stop at the first click.
Oct 26, 2007
349 posts
227 upvotes
Don't put the nozzle deep inside.. max 1 inch otherwise pressure builds up too quick
Deal Addict
Oct 17, 2010
2059 posts
359 upvotes
sunnykw2305 wrote: Coworker with 2019 BMW X5 tops up fuel after first click. Had check engine light recently. Now he's waiting 3 weeks for new EVAP unit from Germany. Don't know why people find it so crucial to get extra 1 or 2 litres of fuel.
since its a new vehicle , would warranty have covered that ? also thats one reason why i dont buy german brands, parts arent as readily available haha

i wouldnt have done the extra topping off if ive known that was a bad thing. no one ever told me and i figured it wouldnt hurt until todat when i learned about the EVAP system in cars
Deal Addict
May 16, 2017
2809 posts
3664 upvotes
negotiater wrote: Don't put the nozzle deep inside.. max 1 inch otherwise pressure builds up too quick
That is hilarious on so many levels.
May 23, 2007
642 posts
384 upvotes
Kanata
Never, ever add more fuel to "top it up", what your doing is clogging up your charcoal canister and valves. Once the pump stops, dont add more fuel. It's a notorious Toyota problem and I learned the hard way in the past having to replace my charcoal canister...
Dec 4, 2017
706 posts
734 upvotes
Toronto
thatsnazzyiphoneguy wrote: since its a new vehicle , would warranty have covered that ? also thats one reason why i dont buy german brands, parts arent as readily available haha

i wouldnt have done the extra topping off if ive known that was a bad thing. no one ever told me and i figured it wouldnt hurt until todat when i learned about the EVAP system in cars
BMW dealer said they're covering this one, which means they'll submit as warranty claim to BMW Canada. It technically isn't covered by warranty, I'm sure the car computer registered the specific fault code to know it was a user/driver error and not a malfunction.

Car is fully functional with Check Engine Light left on, in the interim you have to listen carefully to when gas tank is near full to let off on the gas pump.

I usually overfill rental car gas tank a bit the night before I return to airport next day, save me from fill up during rush hour so I don't risk being charged for fuel by Hertz. Lol one of the downsides buying ex rentals I guess.
Deal Addict
Jul 26, 2018
1804 posts
2848 upvotes
Canada, eh?
9 years ago I had a pump that never clicked...so that was fun cleaning up.

I don't trust the clicks now; I know how much my tank capacity is and look at my fuel gauge before pumping so i can 'guesstimate' how much liters I would require. Obviously not accurate but if the pump clicks too early or never clicks I would know.
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2011
41802 posts
30057 upvotes
Center of Universe
secretalcoholic wrote: 9 years ago I had a pump that never clicked...so that was fun cleaning up.

I don't trust the clicks now; I know how much my tank capacity is and look at my fuel gauge before pumping so i can 'guesstimate' how much liters I would require. Obviously not accurate but if the pump clicks too early or never clicks I would know.
You can generally hear the remaining air escape, just before it's full.
Deal Addict
Dec 6, 2017
1885 posts
1292 upvotes
Manitoba
I round up to the next whole number...not sure why I'm doing this when it just charges on the CC. :rolleyes: