• Last Updated:
  • May 28th, 2018 8:32 am
[OP]
May 16, 2018
4 posts

Gas String Trimmer

Looking at finally purchasing a non-tethered trimmer, haven't had luck with the lithium models. Looking at possibly the Echo SRM-225, but open to other similar models.

Thanks in advance
15 replies
Deal Fanatic
Jun 26, 2005
8469 posts
747 upvotes
Toronto
I havea corded trimmer and have no big issues, and I have a HUGE yard.

I prefer the light weight of corded, and no need to buy more batteries later.
Deal Addict
Oct 22, 2002
1752 posts
256 upvotes
Good choice....I have a similar Echo with a curved shaft, it's lasted almost 10 years now. Still starts on 1 or 2 pulls, just make sure you use only premium gas.

I have the head that takes the pre-cut strings, so I can't comment on how the newer string feeders work.

However I do wish I had gotten the straight shaft model, especially when trimming around spruce trees, etc.
Deal Fanatic
Jan 16, 2008
7710 posts
183 upvotes
got the Echo 210, straight shaft when HD was clearing them out for $99 (wow....almost 5 years now i think?? LOL)
if i needed more tools, i might have considered the combo ones that you can buy different attachments and switch the heads...
Apr 30, 2004
245 posts
67 upvotes
Echo is very good choice. It just starts every time .
Deal Addict
Nov 4, 2006
2550 posts
119 upvotes
I've had very good experiences with echo and toro devices. not this particular model (srm-225) but i expect for household usage, this thing should last many many years.
Deal Fanatic
Sep 8, 2007
5812 posts
4049 upvotes
Way Out of GTA
I’ve had a Stihl FS-45 for about 17 years. Still works like a champ.

Pros super lightweight, excellent head unit, power in a small package, will last forever on moderate use

Cons 2 stroke so you gotta mix fuel, starting is obviously harder than a lithium

The easy 2 start option wasn’t available when I got mine though.

https://en.stihl.ca/STIHL-Products/Gras ... mmers.aspx
Deal Guru
Aug 2, 2001
14972 posts
5250 upvotes
I have an Echo from the big HD clearout awhile ago.

a) "Starts on first pull" is misleading. It starts on the fifth or sixth pull. When I started to use my Echo chainsaw last year I noticed an interesting part in the instructions - you would set the choke, pull 5 times, then close the choke and it would pull right away. I just haven't had a chance to try it with the trimmer. Newer ones seem to have a neat mechanism to start quickly - I saw that with some chainsaws.
b) They are much heavier.
c) You should drain / empty / run empty the gas every year or you risk it not running right.
d) Cheap ones (2 stroke) have to mix fuel.
e) Great power.

Overall I'm on the fence if I'd recommend gas. It is more work and I'm not sure the power is needed for most residential applications. If I were to consider gas I might pick up the multi-head ones as it gives the tool more function at least, makes it more worth maintaining.
[OP]
May 16, 2018
4 posts
Thanks for all the feedback !

I'll be picking up the SRM-225 this evening.
Jan 23, 2015
708 posts
243 upvotes
Woodbridge, ON
My 9 year old Poulan gas trimmer basically kicked the bucket this weekend. Is this Echo SRM-225 worth the extra $50+ over the comparable models that Stihl and Hasqvarna have to offer?
Deal Guru
Aug 2, 2001
14972 posts
5250 upvotes
Bianco13 wrote:
May 21st, 2018 2:30 pm
My 9 year old Poulan gas trimmer basically kicked the bucket this weekend. Is this Echo SRM-225 worth the extra $50+ over the comparable models that Stihl and Hasqvarna have to offer?
I really don't think so - the SRM225 is nothing special. If you're going to spend big bucks get one that allows you to swap heads (to turn it into a different tool).

If weight is a concern the curved shaft trimmers are generally lighter and easier to use. They don't have the reach a straight shaft does (e.g. going under the deck stairs) - that's the big disadvantage. The curved shaft is also typically cheaper.
Deal Addict
Dec 28, 2007
4523 posts
1011 upvotes
Alberta
Best trimmer you can buy IMO is a Stilhl w/Easy2Start. Mine is a FS 56 RC-E with a straight shaft.
Sep 2, 2005
641 posts
160 upvotes
Toronto
i have the srm-225. it’s great! no complains and i love the straight shaft
Jan 23, 2015
708 posts
243 upvotes
Woodbridge, ON
TrevorK wrote:
May 21st, 2018 10:31 pm
I really don't think so - the SRM225 is nothing special. If you're going to spend big bucks get one that allows you to swap heads (to turn it into a different tool).

If weight is a concern the curved shaft trimmers are generally lighter and easier to use. They don't have the reach a straight shaft does (e.g. going under the deck stairs) - that's the big disadvantage. The curved shaft is also typically cheaper.
The straight shaft Poulan trimmer I was using had the head swapping feature, I never used it. My opinion once you go straight shaft you'll never go back to a curve shaft ever again. Makes trimming so much easier and with way better results, especially when edging.
I need to do a bit more research on these models, but will probably go with the Echo.
Jan 23, 2015
708 posts
243 upvotes
Woodbridge, ON
Patriotcdn wrote:
May 18th, 2018 10:42 am
Thanks for all the feedback !

I'll be picking up the SRM-225 this evening.
Did you purchase the Echo from Home Depot and was it priced at $318? I noticed a couple of days ago on Home Depot's site the new price is now $288, I went this morning to pick one up.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)