Tags:
None
Deal Guru
Dec 23, 2003
11231 posts
516 upvotes
Toronto

Gasoline spill on driveway - Best way to repair

I had some workers drop a can of gasoline on my driveway and now it is getting very soft and all falling apart.

Some people say a simple patch, others say to dig the area out to get rid of all the gas, and then rebuilt it.

I will post pics later on.

Any thoughts?
11 replies
Deal Addict
Oct 13, 2002
4109 posts
257 upvotes
Toronto
perhaps this will help

http://www.ehow.com/how_2003084_clean-o ... veway.html

or

In the event of a gas or oil spill on your driveway, immediately cover the spill with baking soda to absorb the fluid. Spills like this can soften new asphalt and cause it to deteriorate.
'11 DC MLF Iikka Pro
'11 Rome 390 Boss Black
'08 K2 T1
[OP]
Deal Guru
Dec 23, 2003
11231 posts
516 upvotes
Toronto
ProfessorChaos wrote:
Jun 3rd, 2007 5:52 am
perhaps this will help

http://www.ehow.com/how_2003084_clean-o ... veway.html

or

In the event of a gas or oil spill on your driveway, immediately cover the spill with baking soda to absorb the fluid. Spills like this can soften new asphalt and cause it to deteriorate.
Thanks. This should help soak up the gas, but I still need tips on how to properly repair the driveway. I am not looking for a cheap way out of this, but the right way.
Deal Expert
May 10, 2005
24610 posts
2344 upvotes
Ottawa
hightech wrote:
Jun 3rd, 2007 6:04 am
Thanks. This should help soak up the gas, but I still need tips on how to properly repair the driveway. I am not looking for a cheap way out of this, but the right way.
You will be digging out the area affected and putting in new asphalt, so don't waste time on other remedies. You will be calling a driveway paving company, if it is asphalt. The gas has done it's damage almost immediately. You will not neutralize it enough to prevent it from having eaten it's way down to the base. I speak from experience.
[OP]
Deal Guru
Dec 23, 2003
11231 posts
516 upvotes
Toronto
Pete_Coach wrote:
Jun 3rd, 2007 11:05 am
You will be digging out the area affected and putting in new asphalt, so don't waste time on other remedies. You will be calling a driveway paving company, if it is asphalt. The gas has done it's damage almost immediately. You will not neutralize it enough to prevent it from having eaten it's way down to the base. I speak from experience.
Thanks for the info and you are correct. I spoke to a few paving people and they suggested the same thing.

Any suggestions on good paving companies?
Deal Addict
Jul 19, 2006
2208 posts
87 upvotes
Toronto
if it's a small/manageable area...why don't you just buy the asphalt repair and fill them up? I just did it for my driveway...doesn't look as nice as taking the entire driveway up and redo it...but it sure does the trick for under $20...afterward, you can even cover it up with asphalt sealer...

If not...just look for those guys that does pavement for 99 cents/sq ft
[OP]
Deal Guru
Dec 23, 2003
11231 posts
516 upvotes
Toronto
virgoan wrote:
Jun 3rd, 2007 5:34 pm
if it's a small/manageable area...why don't you just buy the asphalt repair and fill them up? I just did it for my driveway...doesn't look as nice as taking the entire driveway up and redo it...but it sure does the trick for under $20...afterward, you can even cover it up with asphalt sealer...

If not...just look for those guys that does pavement for 99 cents/sq ft
Well that won't work because gas goes into the base of the driveway and unless you excavate and redo it, it will never look right. I am not interested in the $20 hack, I want it done right and will get the parties responsible to pay.
Deal Addict
Jul 19, 2006
2208 posts
87 upvotes
Toronto
oh ic...well...then why don't you just hire a company that does the clean up and the pavement too? there are at least 2 threads in here that talks about the pavement companies..
[OP]
Deal Guru
Dec 23, 2003
11231 posts
516 upvotes
Toronto
virgoan wrote:
Jun 3rd, 2007 5:56 pm
oh ic...well...then why don't you just hire a company that does the clean up and the pavement too? there are at least 2 threads in here that talks about the pavement companies..
Can you point me to some of the thread links? Most I find were pretty basic. Any help is much appreciated.

Thanks
× < >