Automotive

Gasonline brand with lowest Ethanol content?

• Last Updated:
  • Apr 14th, 2007 3:28 pm
Tags:
None
Deal Addict
Oct 18, 2006
1370 posts
26 upvotes
Toronto

Gasonline brand with lowest Ethanol content?

What brand makes gas with the lowest ethanol content? I am talking about Regular 87 octane gas. The sign at shell says that 87 can contain up to 10% ethanol, and I know Petro Canada has a similar sign. Does anyone know if some of the smaller companies like Eagle, Pioneer etc put ethanol in their gas?

The less ethanol the better fuel economy.
30 replies
Deal Addict
Jun 22, 2005
1026 posts
Toronto
I always try to avoid ethanol not for the mileage issue but because of ethanol's corrosive properties and potential engine damage. I'm not taking any chances.

Pioneer has been using 10% ethanol for years. Sunoco switched to it a few years ago. As for the other majors, it's a hit and miss situation. Some pumps have the ethanol sign up, others don't. I suspect that even without the 10% ethanol sticker, there's no guarantee. It's the same trucks that go around to all the stations from just a couple of refineries.

It's basically a losing cause. We're getting ethanol rammed down our throats, like it or not.
Sep 4, 2005
803 posts
15 upvotes
so while we're at it.. what are the BENEFITS for having ethanol in gas? :?:
[OP]
Deal Addict
Oct 18, 2006
1370 posts
26 upvotes
Toronto
There is no benefit for the car, just the environment.

I might start buying midgrade because shell says they have only 5% ethanol.

Ethanol has about 15% less mileage than gas so you are losing about 1.5% fuel economy by buying 10% ethanol gas.
Feb 9, 2006
292 posts
3 upvotes
yea, just bad news for your car usually. Cars manufactured today aren't designed to burn ethanol properly. If they revamp vehicles to properly utilize ethanol, i wouldn't have a problem with it.

I think Esso might be ethanol free, it's the only place I cant recall seeing an ethanol content sign.
Deal Addict
Mar 20, 2004
2620 posts
165 upvotes
Mississauga
squireglig wrote:
Apr 12th, 2007 11:16 am
yea, just bad news for your car usually. Cars manufactured today aren't designed to burn ethanol properly. If they revamp vehicles to properly utilize ethanol, i wouldn't have a problem with it.

I think Esso might be ethanol free, it's the only place I cant recall seeing an ethanol content sign.
From what i remembered, Cdn Tire get their gas from Esso too, but I see the "up to 10% ethanol" sticker at CT...wouldn't that mean Esso has ethanol too now?
Deal Expert
May 10, 2005
24597 posts
2344 upvotes
Ottawa
wing0 wrote:
Apr 12th, 2007 11:32 am
From what i remembered, Cdn Tire get their gas from Esso too, but I see the "up to 10% ethanol" sticker at CT...wouldn't that mean Esso has ethanol too now?
Stations get their gas from the nearest refinery, regardless who owns the refinery. "Special" additives to make it Esso, Shell or whatever are added to the truck.
One of the benefits of Ethanol for gas companies is that the ethanol is actually an octane booster. So they can use an even lower cut fuel, add ethanol and still come up with 87 octane.
Deal Expert
Mar 23, 2004
19748 posts
1477 upvotes
squireglig wrote:
Apr 12th, 2007 11:16 am
I'm going to say the opposite there. Most cars of today are actually designed with 10-20% ethanol as allowable, and most owner's manuals will reflect this. Simply because this gasoline is widely available as pump gas, auto manufacturers make sure they do design with such fuel useage in mind simply because if they didn't it would mean a lot more money lost for them in warranty claims, and possible lawsuits. No cars aren't designed to run entirely on ethanol but they are designed to run without taking significant damage with the types of ethanol blend that are widely available as normal pump gasoline for automobiles.

I don't think either Petro-Canada nor Esso use ethanol blends as high as 10% in reality. (Unless they switched recently, that is.) They probably just have that sign as a catchall/disclaimer in case their gasoline ever contains that much. Sunoco is pretty much the main dealer of ethanol-blended gasoline, as others have mentioned.

But again, as you can see if all of these stations have these signs up, it's easy to understand why car manufacturers must indeed design cars to run on low-percentage ethanol blends without any problems.
Deal Addict
Sep 2, 2002
2101 posts
28 upvotes
astroboi wrote:
Apr 12th, 2007 11:01 am
Pioneer = Sunoco, which has the highest ethanol content. BTW, try to boycott these stations as per www.boycottgas.ca.
Having looked at the different oil companies and their practices years ago, the company I avoid is Esso (Exxon). I just can't completely remember all the reasons anymore, except for that whole "Whoops! Sorry Alaska!" problem.
Deal Addict
Sep 2, 2002
2101 posts
28 upvotes
Pete_Coach wrote:
Apr 12th, 2007 12:35 pm
Stations get their gas from the nearest refinery, regardless who owns the refinery. "Special" additives to make it Esso, Shell or whatever are added to the truck.
One of the benefits of Ethanol for gas companies is that the ethanol is actually an octane booster. So they can use an even lower cut fuel, add ethanol and still come up with 87 octane.
In many cases, I believe you're right. But in the GTA for example, after the fire at Esso's Nanticoke refinery, Esso, then Petro-Can, then Shell stations started to run dry. I never saw a closed Sunoco station, and the attendant told me they get their gas from Sarnia (I think).
Deal Fanatic
Apr 28, 2005
6323 posts
40 upvotes
I only use 94 sunoco for my car...it's tuned for it. If i had a non tuned, non turbo car i'd choose a different gas.
- Private Investigator...contact me for your surveillance needs.
Mar 2, 2006
816 posts
18 upvotes
Spray wrote:
Apr 12th, 2007 1:59 pm
I only use 94 sunoco for my car...it's tuned for it. If i had a non tuned, non turbo car i'd choose a different gas.
Why don't you buy Pioneer 93 instead, same gas...different label.
Deal Fanatic
Apr 28, 2005
6323 posts
40 upvotes
I've never seen a pioneer in toronto...and how is 93 octane the same as 94 octane?
- Private Investigator...contact me for your surveillance needs.
Mar 2, 2006
816 posts
18 upvotes
It's the same gas, same octane, but they label as 93 octane and sell it cheaper so as not to compete with Sunoco 94.
× < >