• Nov 21st, 2010 1:31 pm
[OP]
Deal Addict
Aug 19, 2003
3473 posts
433 upvotes
Kingston

Gateway laptops any good?

I'm still looking for laptop for xmas. Just saw the Gateway in the new Staples flyer and wondering if it is any good? I have never known anyone that owned a Gateway. Can't find any reviews on it either. Reg Price is $899.96 on sale for $799.96. A good deal?? plus I'm sure theres coupons around to make it even cheaper..

Gateway M6882-h Laptop, Bilingual
http://www.staples.ca/ENG/Catalog/cat_s ... xedCode=WW

Features:
- Premium design with a brushed metal palm rest, black polished keyboard surround, and deep, rich silver finish
- 2.0GHz Intel Core2 Duo Processor T5800 (2MB L2 Cache, 800MHz FSB)
- 4096MB DDR2 667MHz memory
-320GB 5400RPM SATA hard drive
-8x Multi-Format Dual Layer DVDRW with DVD-RAM featuring LabelFlash Technology
-15.4" Ultrabright WXGA TFT (1280x800), 220nits, 8ms
- ATI Mobility Radeon HD 2600 Graphics with 512MB GDDR3 dedicated memory
- Intel WiFi Link 4965 802.11a/g/Draft-N Wireless; V.92 Modem; 10/100 Ethernet LAN (RJ-45 port)
- Interfaces include ExpressCard/54 slot, 3 x USB 2.0 ports, external display (VGA) port, headphone/speaker/line-out jack, microphone-in jack, Ethernet (RJ-45) port, modem (RJ-11) port, DC-in jack for AC adapter, 1-HDMI V1.2 connector
- HD audio, 2-channel, with built-in stereo speakers
- Bilingual keyboard with touchpad
- 1.3 Megapixel integrated webcam
- Microsoft Windows Vista Home Premium 64 bit Edition, dual boot English or French
- Software includes Microsoft Works 9.0, Microsoft Money Essentials, Microsoft Office Home and Student 2007 Trial (60-days), [rfdlink=12]Adobe[/rfdlink] Reader, CyberLink Power 2 Go, Microsoft Windows Media Player 11, Napster Music Service (30-day trial), Norton 360 All-in-One Security 2008 (60-day trial), Gateway Games Powered by WildTangent (pre-installed with 10 demo games with 60-minutes of game play)
- 6-cell lithium ion battery, 48.84 Whr (2.6AHr)
- 28 - 38(H) x 356(W) x 254(D) mm
-6.29lbs (2.85kg).

My other choice so far is this HP
http://www.futureshop.ca/catalog/prodde ... 152&catid=
28 replies
Deal Addict
Sep 10, 2004
2298 posts
441 upvotes
Toronto
Had good experiences with HP's pre and post sales service.
Had multiple negative experiences with Dell's pre and post sales service.

Have not dealt with Gateway.
Dec 4, 2008
23 posts
Burnaby, BC
I would also be interested in this computer.
Anyone know how this computer or Gateway in general is?
I know they were bought out by Acer a year or so ago, but they are still a separate division of Acer.
May 26, 2008
252 posts
3 upvotes
British Columbia
I don't think the construction is the best, I know with Gateway laptops like that people have had a little complaints with that. That being said though, it is heck of a bang for the buck for the price. You get a dedicated graphics card (not integrated) which for that price it's impossible to find. (generally they are $1000+ for a laptop with dedicated graphics. Honestly, I was looking at a very similar laptop that would be the one I would buy. I would purchase that one as well even knowing what I know. If it comes with a year warranty, I don't think you have much to lose.

IMO the gateway deal is a great one.
Apr 27, 2008
174 posts
20 upvotes
Washington, D.C.
I haven't used a Gateway since way back when they made "Gateway 2000's" (before the year 2000, when it was cool to tag that number on the end of a product name, haha)

What are the warranty options? In my experience, even the best laptop makers have problems with laptops. They have a much higher failure rate compared to other electronics, so in many cases the 3-yr warranty is worth the money.
Nov 19, 2008
82 posts
17 upvotes
Thornhill
I was checking out some laptops a few weeks ago and came across a few models at a Best Buy store. They looked pretty good but one thing that I noticed is that the hinges were built really bad. I'm not sure if it was due to a demo model but one of the hinge that was quite close to a speaker shield actually popped the shield off! Perhaps you can test it out yourself at a display model or something. Just my observations.....
Good luck! :arrowl:
[OP]
Deal Addict
Aug 19, 2003
3473 posts
433 upvotes
Kingston
I went to a staples store the first day the sale started and there were none on display. They had the sign but must have sold the display model.

Hows the return policy for laptops? If I dont like it can I still return it?
Feb 28, 2003
195 posts
23 upvotes
Vancouver
I bought my dad a 14" Gateway laptop (Centrino chipset), probably over 3 years ago and he still uses it. No problems at all.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Aug 19, 2003
3473 posts
433 upvotes
Kingston
Just bought this laptop online. Should get it on tuesday :)
Dec 31, 1969
ChangMai wrote:
Dec 5th, 2008 8:15 pm
I bought my dad a 14" Gateway laptop (Centrino chipset), probably over 3 years ago and he still uses it. No problems at all.
I remember my first laptop, a Fujitsu S6010 with a P3-M chip. Built like a tank and survived 3 years being hauled back and forth from class and the library every single day, traveling overseas, and even being dropped multiple times. Sadly, they don't build them like they used to, and nowadays PCs are built to be cheap and disposable. The problem is that no one can guarantee how your particular PC will turn out. I have a friend with a Gateway that developed multiple problems, and yet I'm sure there are people out there with none. Same thing goes for any brand. PC Magazine conducts an annual survey that is widely considered to be the industry benchmark- you can find the results here:

http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2326611,00.asp

From personal experience, I would highly recommend Lenovo or Fujitsu- absolutely impeccable build quality, and will pay for themselves with years of reliable operation.
Deal Addict
Aug 20, 2008
2284 posts
373 upvotes
North York
i have a gateway, love it, minus the fact that Ive dropped it five times and its suffering because of it
Dec 5, 2008
91 posts
British Columbia
My friends who buy gateway are happy with their computers.

I always have custom so I wouldn't know.
Oct 1, 2008
89 posts
Ontario
Never owned a gateway laptop but they usually seem to have pretty good components for the price. I would never buy a computer at staples though, terrible customer service and if it ever has any problems, don't expect them to care.
Dec 4, 2008
23 posts
Burnaby, BC
Tha DraGun wrote:
Dec 7th, 2008 8:07 pm
Just bought this laptop online. Should get it on tuesday :)
Dragun,
Did you find any other Staples coupons? I know there is an online $20 coupon when you sign up for their email, but do you know of any others?
Thanks
[OP]
Deal Addict
Aug 19, 2003
3473 posts
433 upvotes
Kingston
FenixReborn wrote:
Dec 8th, 2008 8:17 am
Dragun,
Did you find any other Staples coupons? I know there is an online $20 coupon when you sign up for their email, but do you know of any others?
Thanks
The only other one you could use is the $10 off coupon. There is probably some in the staples coupon thread still since no one uses the $10 coupons..
× < >