• Nov 9th, 2017 9:44 am
[OP]
Dec 27, 2016
40 posts
19 upvotes

GB deal post being halted?

Well it looks like the crackdown on ******** shill posts has finally begun:

********-xiaomi-water-resistant-backpac ... s-2073734/

It was clear some posters were just ******** shills and posted daily deals that were just terrible. I feel sorry for all the people that got duped by these posts.

"As a result of ongoing concerns and investigations regarding "questionable seller practices on the forums", a halt is currently in effect for all "********" related threads.
Thanks for understanding and sorry for the inconvenience."
Last edited by aasoror on Jan 14th, 2017 10:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: removed censored store name from title
33 replies
Penalty Box
Jan 29, 2016
377 posts
525 upvotes
New Caledonia
Same thing happens with Amazon, yet it still takes 8+ hours to get a thread removed.
HOT DEAL ALERT: 661,000 stolen emails, usernames and unencrypted passwords from a Canadian deals website, compromised due to administrator incompetence and general apathy towards users! Order now!
Deal Expert
May 22, 2005
18522 posts
3654 upvotes
Thornhill
Thank you. Yes there can be some good deals, but we really don't need all this extra landfill junk.
Deal Guru
Aug 26, 2002
10279 posts
3049 upvotes
Toronto, ON
Perhaps a moderator or admin can elaborate on what "questionable practices" mean? Are they creating fake user accounts to push their products? Are their deals not legit? I've purchased a few things from ******** in the past (including the A118c dashcam) and I've had no issues with their customer service. In fact, they've been quite responsive to issues with my orders. So I'd hate to not see ******** deals on RFD anymore because of these questionable practices.
Penalty Box
Jan 29, 2016
377 posts
525 upvotes
New Caledonia
van1337 wrote:
Jan 15th, 2017 5:52 pm
Something seems to have happened in this thread:

********-oneplus-3t-589-shipped-2073294/2/#p27348456
It's great to see mod action when it's obvious like that, but I think a lot of them are way smarter than that idiot, unfortunately.
HOT DEAL ALERT: 661,000 stolen emails, usernames and unencrypted passwords from a Canadian deals website, compromised due to administrator incompetence and general apathy towards users! Order now!
Deal Addict
Nov 25, 2009
1618 posts
636 upvotes
Winnipeg
rvs007 wrote:
Jan 15th, 2017 5:10 pm
Perhaps a moderator or admin can elaborate on what "questionable practices" mean? Are they creating fake user accounts to push their products? Are their deals not legit? I've purchased a few things from ******** in the past (including the A118c dashcam) and I've had no issues with their customer service. In fact, they've been quite responsive to issues with my orders. So I'd hate to not see ******** deals on RFD anymore because of these questionable practices.
My understanding is ALL ******** threads are to be killed off because they have concerns about ******** not the postings/posters.

Still waiting for further explanation from RFD. Beuler...Beuler...
Administrator
Jun 17, 2013
8506 posts
12863 upvotes
Scarborough
FrostyWinnipeg wrote:
Jan 24th, 2017 1:27 pm
My understanding is ALL ******** threads are to be killed off because they have concerns about ******** not the postings/posters.
No posts for ******** are currently being allowed. Our reasons are related to both ******** themselves and users on RFD. Rules were repeatedly broken and this change needed to be made.
RFD Staff [Forum Rules] [Facebook] [Twitter].
Deal Addict
Nov 25, 2009
1618 posts
636 upvotes
Winnipeg
TomRFD wrote:
Jan 25th, 2017 12:00 pm
No posts for ******** are currently being allowed. Our reasons are related to both ******** themselves and users on RFD. Rules were repeatedly broken and this change needed to be made.
I can understand shill postings but what did GB do?
Aug 17, 2015
165 posts
165 upvotes
Winnipeg, MB
I posted a ******** deal a few days back for a crazy deal on a DJI Phantom 3 - the thread was locked as a result of the current ban on ********.

I somewhat understand the threads not being allowed (especially if rules were repeatedly broken), but it sucks that with locked threads, we'll never see feedback from people using ******** - either positive or negative.

The reason for this post is that I just received a shipping notice only a few days after I made the purchase - complete with a fedex ground tracking number and a delivery date of Jan 31.
Administrator
Jun 17, 2013
8506 posts
12863 upvotes
Scarborough
FrostyWinnipeg wrote:
Jan 25th, 2017 9:53 pm
I can understand shill postings but what did GB do?
They recruited the shills.
tbonegreen wrote:
Jan 26th, 2017 12:01 am
I posted a ******** deal a few days back for a crazy deal on a DJI Phantom 3 - the thread was locked as a result of the current ban on ********.

I somewhat understand the threads not being allowed (especially if rules were repeatedly broken), but it sucks that with locked threads, we'll never see feedback from people using ******** - either positive or negative.

The reason for this post is that I just received a shipping notice only a few days after I made the purchase - complete with a fedex ground tracking number and a delivery date of Jan 31.
If someone wants to start a Shopping Discussion thread on Gear Best shopping experiences (not deals) I can allow that.
RFD Staff [Forum Rules] [Facebook] [Twitter].
Dec 27, 2007
13471 posts
5196 upvotes
Kitchener
I didn't know it was discussed here, got few PM's about it, and here is the reply:

Background:
- Most overseas sellers have openly advertised "shilling programs": commonly associate links and/or free products for reviews + a commission from future sales originating from the review tracked with a discount coupon code.

- Before the site revamp most shills used affiliated links, they would disable RFD relinking, post their own links and keep doing so till their account gets banned, rinse and repeat.

- After the revamp, disabling RFD relinking was no longer an option, so shills switched to the "review program" which was more costly to maintain for the sellers (since they get to send in free products first then wait for the sales), it became of major importance that shill is reputable and has some credibility in the community where the review is being posted.

- One can easily tell looking at posting history for some RFD'ers that few have jumped on board of the overseas sellers shilling wagon.

- In an attempt to circumvent that shilling model (instead of getting elaborate with the moderation hammer), the posting rules got updated with a "no unsourced coupon" rule, so private discount coupons that sellers generate for shills to post with were no longer allowed, guess what, in an attempt to work around the rule one member went as far as creating his/her very own blog to source his/her affiliate coupons from !!

- This took another iteration of rule changing to put the "no 3rd party coupons" and coupons now needs to come directly from the "public" seller pages.

The GB ban:
- GB has both versions of the affiliation programs: "Associate Program" and "Pro Program"

- GB has repeatedly approached long standing members with "special promos/discounts to share with the rest of the community" over PMs, even mods received some of these shilling invitations.

- GB has stepped in PM'ing RFD mods asking us to "protect" one of their prominent shills when other members started openly questioning his/her affiliation ("(s)he just likes our deals so much that (s)he wants to help the community by sharing, there will be many more members like him/her in the future" they said) !!

- We recently uncovered multiple "fake" accounts promoting GB sales, posting over the same VPN connection (these are neither posting affiliate links nor linked discount codes, these accounts are posting direct links to GB pages).

There is no need to stress how important it is for the community that every measure is taken to keep the experiences posted here genuine, we found that GB practices (despite the repeated warnings) continues to adversely affect the community, thus the current hold on all GB related deals.

Hope that clears it up for you.
Deal Addict
Aug 12, 2006
2218 posts
654 upvotes
Toronto
Unfortunate, as all my, about 10, GB orders have come. And I was happy with 9 of them.
Dec 27, 2007
13471 posts
5196 upvotes
Kitchener
beachlover wrote:
Jan 28th, 2017 2:00 pm
Unfortunate, as all my, about 10, GB orders have come. And I was happy with 9 of them.
Here is the issue, when a seller insists on pushing such practices, there is no way for someone to know whether or not a +ve post like the one you have just made reflects a genuine experience or just a compensated one.

Just to be clear, the products carried by GB are not in question here (I have ordered from them before without major issues), its just that the promotional techniques they insist on using simply discredits every RFD'er member making a pro GB post (or creating a thread for a GB product).

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)