Sorry, this offer has expired. Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this. Add a Deal Alert

Expired Hot Deals

Sorry, this offer has expired.
Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this.
Set up a Deal Alert
Gearbest

Nitecore EC21 Cree XP - G2 R5 LED 460LM Flashlight - $26.99 US Shipped - Flash Sale

• Last Updated:
  • Nov 15th, 2016 10:56 am
Deal Expert
Jan 27, 2006
21844 posts
15620 upvotes
Vancouver, BC

Nitecore EC21 Cree XP - G2 R5 LED 460LM Flashlight - $26.99 US Shipped - Flash Sale

Deal Link:
Price:
$26.99 US
Expiry:
November 14, 2016
Retailer:
Gearbest
A hot flashlight deal from ******** (part of their 11.11 sale) is the Nitecore EC21. They had it previously on sale for $27.99 US Shipped and now it's $26.99 US Shipped.

IMHO, the EC21 has a couple of nice features - uses the Cree XP - G2 LED which offers similar brightness at 194m (at 460 Lumens) with the more popular XM L2 (at 1000 Lumens) with a more focused beam of light so the batteries should last longer and it has a separate 'red' LED which is less harsh for night vision as well as photographic work.

Specs

General
Brand: Nitecore
Model: EC21
Lamp Beads: Cree XP-G2
Beads Number: 1 x Cree XP-G2
Lumens Range: 200-500Lumens
Luminous Flux: 460Lm
Function: Camping,Hiking,Hunting,Walking,Night Riding,Exploring,Household Use,Seeking Survival
Battery Type: 18650,CR123
Battery Quantity: 1 x 18650 or 2 x CR123 battery (not included)
Waterproof Standard: IPX-8 Standard Waterproof (Underwater 2m)

Product Details
Power Source: Battery
Reflector: Aluminum Smooth Reflector
Lens: Toughened Ultra-clear Glass Lens with Anti-reflective Coating
Impact Resistance: 1.5M
Beam Distance: 150-200m
Flashlight Processing Technology: Aerospace Grade Aluminum Body with Anti Scratching Type III Hard Anodization
Body Material: Aluminium Alloy
Available Light Color: White,Red
Available color: Black

Runtime
High Mode: 4 hrs and 45 mins
Mid Mode: 12 hrs
Low Mode: 50 hrs

Dimension and Weight
Product weight: 0.0595 kg
Package weight: 0.16 kg
Product size (L x W x H): 10.8 (length) x 2.54 (dia. of head) x 2.54 (dia. of tail) cm / 4.25 x 1 x 1 inches
Package size (L x W x H): 13 x 4 x 4 cm

Package Contents
Package Contents: 1 x Nitecore EC21 Cree XP-G2 R5 460Lm 8 Modes Waterproof Explorer Torch, 1 x Holster, 1 x Clip, 1 x Lanyard, 1 x Spare O-ring

Other sources online have this flashlight at twice the price -
Banggood - $59.95 US Shipped
Amazon - Assorted vendors from $49.95 US with 2 free CR124 batteries

YouTube Reviews -

39 replies
Deal Addict
Feb 26, 2005
4481 posts
901 upvotes
Edmonton
It took 8 days to process and ship my order FYI not sure if this is how gear best works but seems excessive. Let's see how it pans out.
Heatware
The difference between wanting and needing is how you justify it.
Deal Expert
Jan 27, 2006
21844 posts
15620 upvotes
Vancouver, BC
******** has put a date for shipment on these orders now... The webpage says "Ships between Nov 13 - Nov 14"! However, it doesn't say what year. :)

My previous order from a few days ago of a few cheapy flashlights was shipped within 2 days of ordering... now the 8 week wait!
Deal Expert
Jan 27, 2006
21844 posts
15620 upvotes
Vancouver, BC
Thundercloud wrote: Anyone knows how it compares to the Convoy S2+ for $10.59?
http://www.********.com/led-flashlights/pp_44144.html <-- *should* come with XM-L2

Thread: http://budgetlightforum.com/node/50549
It really depends on what you are looking for in a flashlight. IMHO, there's 3 grades of lights out there - low-end cheapies like the ones below $5 and 3800 Lumens, the medium ones in the $10 - $30 range with realistic lumens, and the high end over $40 that come with features. Note - when I quote a price, they are regular/non-promotional pricing.

The Nitecore is more of your highend flashlight that includes features like the red LED, possible extended runtimes due to better engineering by using a lower lumen LED but more engineering as well as a case, better controls, and the non-rolling design. But you are paying for that. If it was at the $50 range that everyone else is selling it for, I wouldn't even look at it. However, when a flashlight that normally sits in the high end price comes down a notch to the medium end, you have to seriously consider it.

The Convoy S2+ is a medium end flashlight. It delivers well on normal functionality - ie good light and built well - but don't expect anything extra. Everyone else is selling the S2+ series for a few bucks more (ie in the $15 to $20 price range) so the current price is good but not stellar - the sale price is still in the medium price range. Of course, a few bucks lower at the original sale price of $8.99 would be nice.

It's really up to you on what area you want to have.

BTW. I ended up ordering 7 flashlights in total - 5 cheapy $2.00 Cree Q5 for $1.99 each for smaller emergency kits, the Convoy S2+ for $8.99 (yep I got one at that price) for the big emergency kit since I'm in an Earthquake zone, and the Nitecore for the car. So, I can tell you how they compare in 6 to 8 weeks when they get delivered. :)
Deal Expert
Oct 28, 2004
24666 posts
8738 upvotes
Toronto
thx Op!! Going to get it....

Silly question and maybe just missing it - does it come with the 18650 battery? If not, any recommendation on a set (battery and charger) that is reputable? scurred about knockoffs, I hear these batteries are quite dangerous with toxic gas etc....
Deal Expert
Jan 27, 2006
21844 posts
15620 upvotes
Vancouver, BC
ji2o0k wrote: thx Op!! Going to get it....

Silly question and maybe just missing it - does it come with the 18650 battery? If not, any recommendation on a set (battery and charger) that is reputable? scurred about knockoffs, I hear these batteries are quite dangerous with toxic gas etc....
Batteries are not included so you need to get some. I don't recommend getting them overseas (not just because of knock offs but high shipping cost as only certain couriers will not ship them by air). No big worries about toxic gas if it was a gas problem, most people who own any lithium ion battery appliance would have some serious issues.... a bigger worry is fire due to workmanship or just cheap components.

If you don't know anything about 18650 Lithium ion batteries, remember four things -

1. It's bad to overcharge them.
2. It's bad to run them dead.
3. It's bad to charge them with more current than they are designed for.
4. It's bad to discharge them using more current than they were designed for.

To help with this, Lithium ion batteries come in two types - protected and unprotected :). Protected cells comes with an extra protection circuit that prevents the battery from running dead, overcharging, using too much current and charging with too much current. Unprotected ones don't come with the circuit. Protected cells are bigger so they may not fit in all devices and cost a bit more. Now if everything you are using (charger and device) has the correct protection built in already, you don't need protected cells. However, if you don't know or can't trust it, go for the protected cells! I believe most places that sell e-cigs sell 18650 batteries as well OR you can drop by an industrial battery place to get them if you want quality.

As for chargers, depends how much charging and how geeky you want to get. If this is your only 18650 appliance for a while, get a smart single cell charger like the LiitoKala Lii - 100 which is also on sale at ******** - http://www.********.com/chargers/pp_272183.html?wid=21. It's cheap, it works and it's smart so you won't have to worry about overcharging... it will even work on NIMHs and NICD AA and AAAs. As a bonus, it can also work as a USB portable power supply. You have to supply your own power source however but it uses a standard USB Micro plug... If you want a bit more flexibility, get the 2 cell version LiitoKala Lii - 202 for a few bucks more - http://www.********.com/chargers/pp_424662.html?wid=21. There are several good upscale chargers as well if you really want to get into it. Or if you are nuts like me, I got the SkyRC MC3000 charger which is probably the most flexible beast on the market for $100.
Deal Addict
Sep 10, 2010
4021 posts
2373 upvotes
Ottawa
I really want a nicer flashlight like these ones. But I just can't justify getting a whole new battery setup. My eneloop AA/AAA already power whatever I need. If they had AA versions of these it would be great.
Deal Addict
May 17, 2012
3199 posts
2222 upvotes
ontario
eugene188 wrote: I really want a nicer flashlight like these ones. But I just can't justify getting a whole new battery setup. My eneloop AA/AAA already power whatever I need. If they had AA versions of these it would be great.
they do have aa and even aaa lights just not this particular model. I have the ea41 which runs on 4 aa.

18650s are a better choice for these imo if you don't mind a new format (or use 18650s for something else as well)
Deal Addict
May 17, 2012
3199 posts
2222 upvotes
ontario
eugene188 wrote: I really want a nicer flashlight like these ones. But I just can't justify getting a whole new battery setup. My eneloop AA/AAA already power whatever I need. If they had AA versions of these it would be great.
they do have aa and even aaa lights just not this particular model. I have the ea41 which runs on 4 aa.

18650s are a better choice for these imo if you don't mind a new format (or use 18650s for something else as well)
Deal Expert
Jan 27, 2006
21844 posts
15620 upvotes
Vancouver, BC
ji2o0k wrote: Thx again OP..what about this ThruNite charger kit and 2 pc 18650 batteries??

Sold by ThruNite CA and fulfilled by Amazaon.ca..kit is $59.95 which seems reasonable:

https://www.amazon.ca/gp/aw/d/B00K469SV ... ry+charger
You can... but the charger is relatively new (looks like it was introduced into Amazon in August of this year) and I can't find any real reviews on it other than a YouTube video from a guy that the company gave it to him... and honestly, the reviewer didn't do a heck of lot to test it. The batteries seem to be okay (based on a Panasonic battery according to one forum) but they ain't too popular either so little information out there for them. I know that Amazon seems to have a lot of reviews but that's on the family of chargers and not just on this charger or these batteries.
Deal Expert
Jan 27, 2006
21844 posts
15620 upvotes
Vancouver, BC
You don't really need to get a whole battery set up. You can upgrade your current charger with one of the many chargers out there that do NiMH and Lith-ion then all you need is batteries. That's why I got the SkyRC MC3000 to replace my LaCrosse BC-1000, the MC3000 can do everything the BC-1000 can and a whole lot more - way more configurable, can now do 'C's and 'D's, charge at rates of 3A, does every size of Lith-ion as well as LiFe so I can use those 14500 (AA sized Lithium) to upgrade my existing AA flashlights.
Deal Addict
Feb 8, 2015
1295 posts
568 upvotes
North York, ON
ji2o0k wrote: Thx again OP..what about this ThruNite charger kit and 2 pc 18650 batteries??

Sold by ThruNite CA and fulfilled by Amazaon.ca..kit is $59.95 which seems reasonable:

https://www.amazon.ca/gp/aw/d/B00K469SV ... ry+charger
Charger isn't all that popular but I do know the batteries are rewrapped Panasonics, which is good. Cheaper quality chargers/ battery bundles out there but the big problem right now is the delivery of batteries- either very expensive or couriers/ countries won't accept them. Just bought 8 X 3000 mah18650 batts from GB and delivery is $30.00- still works out cheaper than anywhere else.
Batteries- Panasonic, Samsung, LG they're all good. AVOID Trustfire, Ultrafire, Surefire- had one blow up on me 4 yrs ago while in charger. For a low cost charger Nitecore has some good stuff.
Whatever your choice I strongly suggest you read up on battery care and safety-cycling batts can also help batts achieve their full potential.
Last year? paid $57 all in for 2 Panny 2200 mah Hi Drain batts, 2 bay Nitecore Charger and a Vamo (vape Mod).
As far as batts I use unprotected but make sure all my devices have protection circuitry to help avert failure. Realize protected batts are 3-5 mm longer than unprotected- some devices need specific lengths.
Deal Addict
Mar 19, 2011
1866 posts
1199 upvotes
SW Ontario
Just a heads up to anyone looking at these torches, most power tools have IMR safe chemistry 18650's in the power packs. Since most flashlights draw <2A and use a single cell they are pretty safe to use with a good charger. It's the IMR cells you find in laptop power packs that can be dangerous. Do a little research and make sure you can properly identify the batteries you are using if you do plan on recycling.
Last edited by alpha2omega on Nov 13th, 2016 10:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Expert
Jan 27, 2006
21844 posts
15620 upvotes
Vancouver, BC
Update - Mine is packed up (at least according to the GB website) and I would expected it to ship soon so they seem to holding up their end of the deal where it ships between the 13th and the 14th.
Deal Expert
Jan 27, 2006
21844 posts
15620 upvotes
Vancouver, BC
alpha2omega wrote: Just a heads up to anyone looking at these torches, most power tools have ICR safe chemistry 18650's in the power packs. Since most flashlights draw <2A and use a single cell they are pretty safe to use with a good charger. It's the IMR cells you find in laptop power packs that can be dangerous. Do a little research and make sure you can properly identify the batteries you are using if you do plan on recycling.
If you are looking for possible power tool battery packs that are cheap, Canadian Tire is clearing out some 20V 2.0 Ah battery packs for under $14 - you should be able to salvage 5 unprotected cells from there.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)