• Oct 23rd, 2017 3:05 pm
[OP]
Banned
Sep 13, 2017
42 posts
54 upvotes

[GeekBuying] Xiaomi Mi A1 - $212 USD

Deal Link:
I was reading the very confusing Xiaomi Redmi Note 4 thread and I found out there was a new phone released called the Mi A1, it is similar to the Note 4 but runs stock android.

I think creating a new thread for it is worth it because there was so much cluttered information in the old one.

Some background info:

The A1 was released on September 5th and started shipping on the 12th. The launch price is $235.

Some store are selling it on Aliexpress and other Chinese resellers have it too, however Geekbuying has a promotion for it for $212. (So you are saving roughly 10% on a brand new released phone).

You have to get the coupon here: http://promotion.geekbuying.com/promoti ... d_mi_note3

Afterwards visit the store page here: https://www.geekbuying.com/item/Xiaomi- ... 85485.html

From what I read this is the Hong Kong version, which has the crucial band 4 needed for 4G here in Canada, so there is no need to worry if the phone will work once it arrives in Canada.

Warning: There seems to be some shipping problems for Chinese stores getting items in a timely manner to Canada, very long delays longer than 2 months sometimes. Paying extra for faster shipping might be worth it unless you want to wait that long (or if you are not in a hurry and don't care about the delay) for the phone to arrive.

More details about the shipping delays in the quote below at the end of the post:

Specs

5.5-inch capacitive screen, FHD (1920×1080 pixels) screen display,403PPI

CPU: Snapdragon 625 octa-core 2.0GHz, GPU:Adreno 506

Android One (Base on Android 7.1 OS), 4GB RAM +64GB ROM

Dual camera:5.0MP front camera and Dual 12.0MP back camera

Dual SIM Card Dual Standby( 2 Nano SIM Card or 1 Nano and 1 microSD Card)

Full metal body,3080mAh(typ) lithium-ion polymer battery

Support 4G/3G/GPS/Bluetooth/multi-language/Touch ID/2.4G,5G wifi/IR remote control

Networking:

2G:GSM B2/B3/B5/B8;

3G:WCDMA B1/B2/B5/B8;

4G:FDD-LTE B1/B3/B4/B5/B7/B8/B20; TDD-LTE B38/B40
Last edited by AdvadD on Sep 15th, 2017 12:23 pm, edited 4 times in total.
Reason: Title edit
Amazing Xiaomi Redmi Note 4 smartphone owner

Did you know wut evil happened on September 11, 2001?
Thread Summary

In light of the recent mail delays from Asia, there has been a survey that collects dates of when the items were ordered, shipped, arrived in Canada and actually delivered. By contributing your experience to the following survey, we can determine what the average transit time to Canada is with different postal carriers.

Keep in mind, even if you are not experiencing delays with your mail order items, please do fill the survey out. By filling out the survey you can help other members of this forum to confirm that their theory of Canada Post's Management is indeed non-performing to their targets and are indeed playing games to paint a rosier of how well their operations are, but when in fact it isn't the case.

The Survey that collects the information can be accessed here:
https://goo.gl/forms/pD18OqnLkq1S18cm1

The spreadsheet can be accessed here:
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/ ... sp=sharing

Alternatively, a new website is in development where users will be able to manage and analyse their own orders while at the same time contribute anonymously to a global database for statistical analysis. You are all invited to test the application and comment at this address:
http://chinatrack.monoeil.qc.ca/

If you experience regular international packets delivery delays in Canada, consider getting some content reply and possibly even move this matter resolution forward, by writing your concerns to these points of contact:

Full thread about the shipping delays here: https://forums.redflagdeals.com/mail-pr ... ow-711375/

@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@ PART 2@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@
sambul92 wrote:
Sep 13th, 2017 9:55 pm
You might have done it at a wrong time, when the previous Minister was on personal leave, and the issue with Mr Chopra and CP operational priorities (like better serving Canadians) was hanging in the air. Your emails were forwarded, but there was no-one on the wire to deal with them in a practice. Also, ask in each email to give you a reply, and mention you were never replied before, which is hardly acceptable practice for that office. Also mention to NOT forward your emails to Canada Post, because current CP leadership refuses to improve service.

Email your detail complains, suggestions, and requests on Canada Post improvement to the new Minister of Public Services and Procurement The Honourable Carla Qualtrough, now responsible for Canada Post: "minister@pwgsc.gc.ca". You can reference this forum thread, and briefly explain what main issues Canadian mail recipients experience the last 3 years. I believe, the mains issues are a) wrong CP service priorities (profit instead of "basic service" status aimed to satisfy population needs); b) bad CP leadership; c) lack of regular mail local processing standards in Canada Post Act and Regulations (including max delivery deadlines, tracking requirements, and civil penalties for non-compliance).

Do not waste your time trying to convince current CP leadership "be a better men". 😂 They are hopefully gone soon as promised - but its far from certain, and changes won't happen without us - Canadian mail services consumers. Its important to note, no-one spelled out at Government level the acute issue of having no regular mail delivery standards within Canada spelled out in the law, as it supposed to be for a "basic service" critical to Canadians. We all see the consequences: each new CP CEO turns delivery system to suit his agenda as they pleased, because current CPC Act does not, but should be amended to say: a) domestic and overseas mail received in Canada should be delivered locally within 15 days or less; b) postal service must provide public tracking data within Canada for all internally traceable mail types.

For example, USPS not only gives public access to mail with barcodes (tracking numbers), but now notifies about incoming lettermail by using scanned ZIP codes not only to route letters, but to print barcodes, identify and send emails to the recipients. USPS also has 7-day ePacket delivery standard from China at US 1st class mail rate (3 times cheaper than ePackets to Canada). Interesting full screen video: How USPS Sorting & Delivery Network Works. Plenty of complex equipment and processes shown.
356 replies
Nov 28, 2016
102 posts
84 upvotes
I would recommend this over the Redmi Note 4. I am not a big fan of MIUI and the camera app is just not great.

A1:
- Stock Android
- Better camera
- Lighter and thinner
- USB type-C
- 10v Amp for better sound quality
- Looks better?

RN4
- MIUI
- Bigger battery and longer battery life

Other specs are pretty identical as far as I can tell.
Last edited by Money4Red on Sep 15th, 2017 1:04 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Dec 27, 2008
239 posts
5 upvotes
Vancouver
Thanks for the thread! I lurk on r/xiaomi lately, reading up on news and discussions and their wiki states geekbuying is a reseller to avoid as "Reportedly unremovable reseller ROMs, fake stock information, unreliable shipping, bad support". Does anyone have first hand experience purchasing from geekbuying?
Jan 12, 2008
802 posts
111 upvotes
JRGUINNESS wrote:
Sep 15th, 2017 10:38 am

I e-mailed them last night to confirm the phone has Band 4 & 7.

They said yes, and the pre-sale will continue through till Oct 31, then start shipping Nov 1....

I want this phone, but for that long of a wait, I'll wait to see if I can get an S8 for $500 on Koodo for black Friday
JRGUINNESS wrote:
Sep 15th, 2017 12:29 pm

Alright, great to know.

Does shipping from Hong Kong also take 3+ months?

Hate to get this phone in February or March
Continuing in this thread to avoid more clutter.

I would think any package coming from an Asian country will face those long delays. That's just my assumption. My more recent packages from China have taken 2+ months to Vancouver. Still waiting on some from the beginning of July.

With your previous post about shipping in November 1, I'd say the free shipping would probably take until December/January. I paid the $8 for the HKDHL shipping. I hope it will get to me before the new year haha.
Money4Red wrote:
Sep 15th, 2017 12:34 pm
I would recommend this over the Redmi Note 4. I am not a big fan of MIUI and the camera app is just not great.

A1:
- Stock Android
- Better camera
- Looks better?
-10v Amp for better sound quality
-AC wifi
-USB C

RN4
- MIUI
- Longer battery

Other specs are pretty identical as far as I can tell.
Added a couple that came to mind. Reviews have mentioned the sound quality is incredible. That went a long way in selling me on this version.
Feb 27, 2015
476 posts
195 upvotes
Toronto, ON
How do I get the coupon to stick?

Says its 218 still
Sep 6, 2009
145 posts
46 upvotes
I know a lot of people are disappointed in RN4 camera including myself but this one doesn't have OIS either. If the off-focus shots due to lack of image stabilization is your issue, better pass on this as well.
Feb 27, 2015
476 posts
195 upvotes
Toronto, ON
* This coupon code has ultimately reached the limitation usage times.
Deal Fanatic
Jul 15, 2008
8189 posts
1018 upvotes
Toronto
I wish Xiaomi would use gorilla glass and do away with curved edge screens... Does this have Gorilla glass?
Oct 16, 2008
334 posts
64 upvotes
Toronto
Very tempting as this seems like a great value for an Android One phone.

Edit: Just realized no NFC. Pretty big deal for me(NFC tags and Android Pay).
Last edited by 1point8t on Sep 15th, 2017 1:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Dec 29, 2010
85 posts
75 upvotes
I'm really wary of geekbuying...
These guys https://www.reddit.com/r/Xiaomi/wiki/general/purchase really don't like them.
"Geekbuying - Reportedly unremovable reseller ROMs, fake stock information, unreliable shipping, bad support"
If you search there you can see tons of people complaining about the ship time being delayed for months.
You'll probably get it but it's going to take a long time.
Jan 12, 2008
802 posts
111 upvotes
Money4Red wrote:
Sep 15th, 2017 1:03 pm
Thanks, added. But I think the RN4 also have AC wifi.
My bad, went off of the last thread when I saw it mentioned.
chinesedevil wrote:
Sep 15th, 2017 1:24 pm
I wish Xiaomi would use gorilla glass and do away with curved edge screens... Does this have Gorilla glass?
It uses Gorilla Glass 3.

This reminds me, there was never confirmation about the one on the RN4? I believe they were coy on it and said it was made by someone else.
Deal Fanatic
Jul 15, 2008
8189 posts
1018 upvotes
Toronto
thefeebster wrote:
Sep 15th, 2017 1:44 pm
My bad, went off of the last thread when I saw it mentioned.
It uses Gorilla Glass 3.

This reminds me, there was never confirmation about the one on the RN4? I believe they were coy on it and said it was made by someone else.
Did they advertise Gorilla Glass 3 for the A1?

The RN4 supposedly scratches easily so its probably not Gorilla Glass.
Jul 26, 2017
150 posts
27 upvotes
Toronto
Seems like a good deal / Thanks op

Thread Information

There are currently 2 users viewing this thread. (0 members and 2 guests)