Hot Deals

[Geekbuying] Xiaomi Mi Robot Vacuum - CAD$301.05 plus shipping CAD$81.64 shipping (less $20USD coupon)

• Last Updated:
  • Dec 17th, 2017 10:50 am
Banned
Nov 23, 2017
55 posts
30 upvotes
cheapmother wrote:
Nov 30th, 2017 6:50 pm
For those with their orders stuck on Payment Confirmed (Processing) my live chat today (11/30) revealed this nugget of information from GeekBuying:
"Hello sir, the item will be in stock in next week ,because it is too popular , we need a few more days to get enough to meet all the demands."
Good. Now I feel good about my purchase because it is validated through many other people also doing the same.
Nov 26, 2017
33 posts
7 upvotes
TimBitz wrote:
Nov 30th, 2017 5:58 pm
FYI, if you are in Hong Kong, these sell for $1700 HKD locally.

@minwersh
I used the "Other" server. Works well there too.
Update firmware took around 10-15 mins, I was so worried I bricked it out of the box when it seemed "stuck" updating lol.
Damnit my mother in law just went to HK and will be coming back in three weeks....I just figured I'd get it faster ordering online but that doesn't seem to be the case anymore. Didn't realize the price was that big of a difference though.

That said she probably won't be too happy about hauling the whole thing back with her luggages.

I ended up buying for $273.08 USD shipped from geekbuying...
Deal Addict
Feb 10, 2006
2818 posts
265 upvotes
what are we looking at in terms of taxes and duties being charged? There isn't a dreaded brokerage fee right...?
Jun 3, 2007
41 posts
7 upvotes
Toronto
I was about to ask the same. A quick search of the CBSA Customs Tariff yields this:

85.08 Vacuum cleaners.
-With self-contained electric motor:
8508.11.00 00 - -Of a power not exceeding 1,500 W and having a dust bag or other receptacle capacity not exceeding 20 litres - - MFN Tariff: 8%

So I would expect to pay 8% duty whether the machine is made in China or HK, as they are both Most Favoured Nations for duty purposes and receive no other preferential (i.e. lower) rates. I don't know DHL's policies, but most couriers will be charging you an additional amount for pre-payment of the duty and taxes, so another ~$10-$15. The one thing I do know about DHL is they will allow you to pay in advance electronically - but you will not receive an invoice to show the purpose of the payment until you see the package.

If anyone who already received theirs wants to be more specific, I'm eager to know.
Dec 1, 2017
3 posts
Is this a signed delivery? I just put in an order and I feel like I won't be around for the delivery. Plus my closest DHL is and hour away in Kingston.
Nov 6, 2014
56 posts
13 upvotes
Kelowna, BC
egedar wrote:
Dec 4th, 2017 8:35 pm
Is this a signed delivery? I just put in an order and I feel like I won't be around for the delivery. Plus my closest DHL is and hour away in Kingston.
From past DHL experience, once it clears customs DHL will provide amount due and you can pay in advance by credit card, then you have a link to authorize drop with no signature ( front door, back door etc. ). Watch the tracking and when it clears Google " pay DHL online " or similar.
Deal Addict
Dec 29, 2008
2218 posts
194 upvotes
Vtsng12 wrote:
Nov 29th, 2017 7:57 pm
I highly doubt it. But then again, this thing just carries a 5200 MAH battery with an AC wall charger. Xiaomi is also a pretty big company in China. Not much to worry about here.
Yes they are a big well known company, so they should get/have proper certification for international customers. Samsung is a known company yet they had exploding phones, so there is much to be worried about ordering from China.

Call it tin foil hat syndrome but why risk it for a few dollars when you can get proper certified robot vacuums.

Although it is a great product for the price, hopefully they will start selling in North America at some point.
Deal Addict
May 15, 2009
1812 posts
531 upvotes
North York
JonSnow wrote:
Dec 4th, 2017 10:07 pm
Yes they are a big well known company, so they should get/have proper certification for international customers. Samsung is a known company yet they had exploding phones, so there is much to be worried about ordering from China.

Call it tin foil hat syndrome but why risk it for a few dollars when you can get proper certified robot vacuums.

Although it is a great product for the price, hopefully they will start selling in North America at some point.
Well its a lot more than just a few dollars. Comparable ones cost $1k.
Nov 26, 2017
33 posts
7 upvotes
JonSnow wrote:
Dec 4th, 2017 10:07 pm

I kind of see what you mean. But that said, it also goes to say that a certification doesn't secure you from exploding batteries either (such as in Samsung’s case lol). You almost seem to be contradicting yourself here...

If it helps you feel any better, I just came across this review:

“Safe to use. Afraid of batteries exploding in China-made products? Xiaomi guarantees that the battery included in the robot vacuum will not overcharge, over discharge, or overheat, and that it will not suffer from problems with short circuits, current, and voltage problems.”

Source: https://www.allhomerobotics.com/roomba- ... ot-vacuum/
Deal Addict
Dec 29, 2008
2218 posts
194 upvotes
Vtsng12 wrote:
Dec 4th, 2017 11:47 pm
I kind of see what you mean. But that said, it also goes to say that a certification doesn't secure you from exploding batteries either (such as in Samsung’s case lol). You almost seem to be contradicting yourself here...

If it helps you feel any better, I just came across this review:

“Safe to use. Afraid of batteries exploding in China-made products? Xiaomi guarantees that the battery included in the robot vacuum will not overcharge, over discharge, or overheat, and that it will not suffer from problems with short circuits, current, and voltage problems.”

Source: https://www.allhomerobotics.com/roomba- ... ot-vacuum/
Indeed I did, but the end result was a mass recall with strict government involvement, following the countries guide lines. I don't see Xiaomi doing this as they aren't technically in our market, if this was sold in the US/UK big box stores I'd be all over it as it looks like a great product.

It is 70% paranoia on my part, thanks to Samsung.
KiraSensei wrote:
Dec 4th, 2017 10:17 pm
Well its a lot more than just a few dollars. Comparable ones cost $1k.
Comparable ones to the gen2 can be had for under $450 if you wait for deals on Amazon.
Nov 26, 2017
33 posts
7 upvotes
JonSnow wrote:
Dec 5th, 2017 8:21 am
Indeed I did, but the end result was a mass recall with strict government involvement, following the countries guide lines. I don't see Xiaomi doing this as they aren't technically in our market, if this was sold in the US/UK big box stores I'd be all over it as it looks like a great product.

It is 70% paranoia on my part, thanks to Samsung.

Comparable ones to the gen2 can be had for under $450 if you wait for deals on Amazon.
Doesn’t exactly sound like more of a safety concern than it is a warranty type concern for you then. If purchase protection is a priority for you, then I’d agree that the xiaomi isn’t for you. That’s basically the only trade off for the steep discount. It’ll turn into a $300 paperweight the moment it breaks down, regardless if it’s the battery or any other component for that matter. I wouldn’t expect much post purchase service on this.

The selling point is the fact that you could go through two of these, maybe even 3 on the best deals, before you come to the price of 1 comparable vac. But it’s not just the low price tag either. The xiao mi consistently outperforms it’s competitors too. I highly doubt that I’d go through three of these. The tradeoff is reasonable considering the value you’re getting.

I beg to differ on your comparison of the $450 vacs though. The Roomba 980 is one of the very few vacs that comes remotely close to the performance of the gen 1 xiao mi and the two are regularly reviewed on side by side comparisons. Even the roomba on its steepest sales don’t go below double the price of the xiaomi. Comparing the gen 2 xiaomi is irrelevant to this thread as I’m sure anyone participating in this discussion is only interested in the gen 1 sale.
Oct 16, 2006
111 posts
18 upvotes
Has anyone actually received this from geekbuying yet? My tracking number has been stuck on "Shipment information received" since November 22nd. It was supposed to take 8 days to arrive so should be here by now.

Considering opening up a dispute with PayPal if it goes much longer.
Jul 17, 2008
29 posts
13 upvotes
GTA
MrTickle wrote:
Dec 5th, 2017 11:11 am
Has anyone actually received this from geekbuying yet? My tracking number has been stuck on "Shipment information received" since November 22nd. It was supposed to take 8 days to arrive so should be here by now.

Considering opening up a dispute with PayPal if it goes much longer.
Same, I contacted geekbuying and they confirmed it was handed over to DHL on the 27th. The DHL info says they received info on the 23rd and geekbuying marked as shipped on 26th. But DHL never takes this long, especially to make even one scan, I suspect they are lying and it's on backorder like the others that ordered later. I actually ordered another on the 27th and that one is definitely in the backorder bunch, still says payment confirmed, processing.

I don't doubt that I'll eventually get them, just pretty annoyed now, was planning to get way before Christmas now I'm not even positive I'll see them before then.
Deal Fanatic
Jan 27, 2004
8550 posts
802 upvotes
What is mi robot 2? They hve 2 versions?
2007 - Ipod Video (TD), Ipod Shuffle (GM)
2006 - Ipod Nano (TD)
2005 - Ipod Shuffle (TD)
Nov 26, 2017
33 posts
7 upvotes
sevsev wrote:
Dec 5th, 2017 11:18 am
Same, I contacted geekbuying and they confirmed it was handed over to DHL on the 27th. The DHL info says they received info on the 23rd and geekbuying marked as shipped on 26th. But DHL never takes this long, especially to make even one scan, I suspect they are lying and it's on backorder like the others that ordered later. I actually ordered another on the 27th and that one is definitely in the backorder bunch, still says payment confirmed, processing.

I don't doubt that I'll eventually get them, just pretty annoyed now, was planning to get way before Christmas now I'm not even positive I'll see them before then.
Same here. Payment confirmed on the 25th, order still shows processing. No tracking info received. Slightly diapppinted here. Should’ve just paid an extra $10 at gear best instead....

Thread Information

There are currently 11 users viewing this thread. (4 members and 7 guests)

OKSpring, rjones241, windible, MicroJimnt