None
Deal Fanatic
Mar 24, 2004
8636 posts
549 upvotes
Toronto

Gemma Communications

Hey,

I was offered a fulltime position with Gemma Communications.

I'm generally a timid person, but the hiring manager said he'd "give me a chance" and that this position would be great training to build my confidence and sales ability.

I'm being put on the Citi Assurance Services campaign, selling insurance to current cardholders. I've dealt with similar calls before, just on the receiving instead of giving end.

I'm determined to keep the job, but I'm wondering how stringent they are on meeting quotas. Also, is this campaign a failing one? I've been told that if you're put on a failing campaign, then it's pretty much helpless.... but this campaign seems to be going on for quite some time (something like 4 years or so?) so I'm not too concerned.

I want this job because the pay is decent and call centre experience seems nice on a resume. Also, it brushes with the finance industry, which is what I want to do when I graduate.

Anyone have any comments to make?

Two aside questions: Can I park at the Lawrence Square Plaza? My shift ends at 11, will I get a ticket? Anyone have better suggestions? (park at the Hudson's Bay or CIBC, or even Yorkdale? - quite a walk, not sure if I wanna do that)

Also, I'm kinda weary of the area. I've heard Lawrence West has the highest crime rate of all the TTC stations. Is it as bad as I fear? Maybe I should put comprehensive coverage on my car lol.

Thx!
10 replies
Deal Addict
Mar 8, 2004
2597 posts
324 upvotes
Mississauga
I've never worked at a call centre, but I have worked with them..I was their client, they my vendors... (gemma, telespectrum, sitel, et al...).

I think that if I had worked at one before starting my career, I probably would have had a leg up on my peers. I say this because selling and career advancement go hand in hand.

Whether you are selling: a product a service, your ideas, your proposals, yourself, whatever, to clients, your colleagues, managers, whomever, it's all about selling. Anyone that has been immersed in the corporate culture for any length of time will tell you that the top managers are, in one incarnation or another, very good sales people.

I can't think of a better training ground than a call centre where you have to face rejection 50 times a day. Most people can't stomach rejection or failiure even once a day...and to those, nothing ventured, nothing gained...right?
Deal Addict
Dec 8, 2006
1052 posts
4 upvotes
I agree Call centres do help with confidence, before I worked at one I was extremely shy etc. I worked at one for 2 years when I was in college and it really opened me up.
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Mar 24, 2004
8636 posts
549 upvotes
Toronto
Thanks for the replies. Anyone have direct experience with Gemma?
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Mar 24, 2004
8636 posts
549 upvotes
Toronto
Starting training day 1 tomorrow bright and early. *crosses fingers* Hope I can keep this up for 4 months, then drop to 15-20h/wk for part time when school starts.
Deal Addict
Nov 30, 2003
3178 posts
38 upvotes
Mississauga
KevC wrote:
May 10th, 2008 11:00 am
Thanks for the replies. Anyone have direct experience with Gemma?
Yep, but not the kind of experience you're asking about. I've got their numbers blocked on my home phone.
Agreed!
Nov 22, 2005
468 posts
North York Toronto
I walk by Gemma from cibc everyday cant count the number of times. People have asked me to try and get me into cibc. People do not look happy there.
Heatware-aturk99

xboxlive Torontowhiteboy

psconnect Aturk99
Jun 6, 2007
904 posts
11 upvotes
Toronto
Gemma....lol...my hustling days....lol

i got fired after 3 weeks at gemma for asking a client to F..K off....lol
The guy had me pitch a sale for 20-25mins and then at the end just told me i was foolishly wasting my time.
Second i insulted him...it took about 5mins before the manager came to my seat and asked me to go home.....lol
Apparently my calll was coincidentally being monitored at the same time.
I asked him to F..K off too and walked away.
I was going to school full-time at York University then and still had 2 other part-time jobs at UPS and the cold ice-cream freezer where Breyers stored ice cream. All labor jobs.
My hustling days.....But look at me now....lol

olddog
Stumbled upon RFD by mistake, best mistake of my internet life i must say...... :D
Jul 16, 2013
1 posts
This Gemma communications called me saying a few different things TD, sears, some other thing which I forgot. Their scams I called TD Canada trust, they told me NOT to give them ANY info they're looking for personal information and sent complaint to the fraud department, so don't trust anything GEMMA COMMUNICATIONS says.
× < >