• Apr 6th, 2015 3:11 pm
Tags:
None
Deal Addict
Sep 3, 2004
1994 posts
5 upvotes

General Evertrek HP vs General Altimax HP

These tires are quite similar looking. Does anybody have any experience with either one of these tires? The Evertrek is exclusive to Canadian Tire. I have General Altimax winter tires on my 01 Corolla CE's stock steel 14" x 5.5" wheels. I'm going to get a set of 14" x 6" alloy's to put some high performance/touring all season tires (195/60-14). Anybody familiar with these tires?

thanks,

:)
18 replies
Deal Addict
Jan 20, 2005
3867 posts
437 upvotes
Thornhill
morkys wrote: These tires are quite similar looking. Does anybody have any experience with either one of these tires? The Evertrek is exclusive to Canadian Tire. I have General Altimax winter tires on my 01 Corolla CE's stock steel 14" x 5.5" wheels. I'm going to get a set of 14" x 6" alloy's to put some high performance/touring all season tires (195/60-14). Anybody familiar with these tires?

thanks,

:)
was doing some research on tires and both evertrek and altimax are good tires. My uncle has evertreks on his corolla s, he likes them very much. I was going to put altimax on my preludes aftermarket wheels but the warehouse did not have my size in stock(anywhere in ontario) and i needed tires badly so went with falken 512's
Deal Fanatic
Oct 26, 2008
7022 posts
2907 upvotes
Victoria, BC
Altimax tires are made in any one of 8 countries depending on which size you want.
(Mexico, Brazil, Portugal, France, Germany, Czech R., Romania, USA)

For some sizes, it's a toss up whether they come from 1 of 2 countries.

You can check it out on Tirerack's specs. page.

I would suspect that the same would apply to the Evertrek
- can't see that they would have a mould for every size at the Charlotte N.C. plant just to meet CTC's price level.

And CTC's volume probably rules out all their supply being seconds, so the Evertrek is probably just as good as the Altimax (which appears to be very good, even though it's a relatively low price).

Of course, you can easily look on the tire sidewll for where it was made.

Somehow, I would feel best if my tire was made in one of the Continental/General plants in France or Germany.
(Not saying that one made in Romania, Portugal or the Czech. Republic is sub-par - it's just my perception of things.)

So, good-looking tire, well-priced, and it has great reviews.
Deal Addict
Sep 3, 2004
1994 posts
5 upvotes
My only concern is that the Evertrek HP has a 400 treadwear rating vs the Altimax's 440. I don't imagine that would make all that much difference. I want to get the Evertrek because it can go on sale and I can use my CT MC for 6 months zero interest. That's how I bought my General Altimax snow tires.
Deal Addict
Sep 3, 2004
1994 posts
5 upvotes
mau108 wrote: was doing some research on tires and both evertrek and altimax are good tires. My uncle has evertreks on his corolla s, he likes them very much. I was going to put altimax on my preludes aftermarket wheels but the warehouse did not have my size in stock(anywhere in ontario) and i needed tires badly so went with falken 512's
What size does your uncle have on his Corolla S? I would guess 185/65-14...correct? Does he have any feedback regarding fuel economy?
Deal Fanatic
Oct 26, 2008
7022 posts
2907 upvotes
Victoria, BC
morkys wrote: My only concern is that the Evertrek HP has a 400 treadwear rating vs the Altimax's 440.
Is that 440 rating on an Altimax HP or on your Altimax Winters (RT?)?

Either way, not much to be concerned about.

High Performance tire treadwear rating is always going to be lower, on the assumption that you are going to be screaming round bends with them at the limit of their adhesion.
Deal Addict
Aug 31, 2006
4578 posts
2488 upvotes
The 440 tread rating is on the Altimax HP (directional) and the Altimax RT's for sizes below 185 (above 195 it's 600 - I believe some folks mentioned that they saw tread ratings of 600 on the Cdn tire ones that they bought so it's probably the same deal).

Btw - LOVE the Altimax HPs (I don't really brake on turns anymore -just kind of let go of the gas pedal and no squeal --> big smile on my face - it's like driving a go-kart!)
macnut wrote: Is that 440 rating on an Altimax HP or on your Altimax Winters (RT?)?

Either way, not much to be concerned about.

High Performance tire treadwear rating is always going to be lower, on the assumption that you are going to be screaming round bends with them at the limit of their adhesion.
Feb 13, 2002
8 posts
Toronto
Bump - does anyone have any more experiences to share about the Evertrek?

Cheers.
Mar 13, 2005
751 posts
477 upvotes
Different model I know, but I have the Evertrek RTs (215-65-17) and I've found them to be a great tire at a fantastic price. Good in the rain, quiet on the highway. Haven't had any issues in 15,000kms. Even wear. Not great in the snow.
Deal Expert
Mar 23, 2004
35606 posts
18999 upvotes
morkys wrote: My only concern is that the Evertrek HP has a 400 treadwear rating vs the Altimax's 440. I don't imagine that would make all that much difference. I want to get the Evertrek because it can go on sale and I can use my CT MC for 6 months zero interest. That's how I bought my General Altimax snow tires.
Though the treadwear rating portion of the UTQG is perhaps the most useless part of it, and though UTQG isn't a great measure of anything otherwise, UTQG is still what it is. What I mean by this is that even if these two have identical tread patterns, the treadwear difference has to mean something. More likely than not it's the compound that is different. Tread pattern is only one part of the equation; another part is compound.

That^ said, this shouldn't really be a concern as these two things are not tyres anyway. I urge you to reconsider the purchase and installation of all-seasons as they should be left to the garbage can where they belong.
Deal Addict
Sep 3, 2004
1994 posts
5 upvotes
Bought and installed on stock steelies. They work ok so far. I did lock them up once, barely, coming home from the cottage in the rain, but it was my fault and a panic skid. Interestingly, the car didn't go anywhere but straight as an arrow until I eased up the pedal and traction returned and kept going straight.

My Corolla came with 175/65R14 tires. These 195/60R14 are much wider than the 175 and taller, but not as tall as the 185/65. They are H rated and that is more than enough for a Corolla CE. I'm going to get alloy rims that are 1/2" wider than these stock steel wheels, and I'll be upgrading the struts as they reach worn-out stage. May even lower the car 1.25"...or not. Anyhow, so far the tires seem fine. More traction obviously than the 175 and slightly less body roll due to less tire flex. I run between 35 and 38 PSI. Fuel economy seems about the same as the stock tires. I wouldn't have gotten the RT because it didn't come in the size I wanted. These tires work well on the Corolla.
May 25, 2008
49 posts
I'm looking at getting either the General Altimax RT or HP for my 2001 Jetta GLS.

The size is 195/65/R15.

According to these ratings, the T would have a higher speed rating than the P, yet the P is more expensive (by 3 or 4$ per tire)

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tiretech/ ... ?techid=35

I'm checking them out on TireRack and since I have zero knowledge as per what I really need, I'm wondering in what circumstances I would want to choose one over the other.

I never drive over 130 KM per hour, so I'm just wondering if anyone can provide any suggestion for one over the other?

Altimax RT
http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp ... Altimax+RT

Altimax HP
http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp ... Altimax+HP
Deal Fanatic
Oct 26, 2008
7022 posts
2907 upvotes
Victoria, BC
knuckle05 wrote: According to these ratings, the T would have a higher speed rating than the P,
The HP model is their "High Performance" one, with an H-speed rating (one up from T-speed rating).

They are both "Touring" tires, optimized for quietness, but the RT is their "Regular Touring".

Go for whichever one you like the look of and/or you can get at the best deal (price, quality of service, convenience, good references, etc.)
Deal Addict
Sep 3, 2004
1994 posts
5 upvotes
Don't forget the General Evertrek HP and RT. Canadian Tire branded tires very similar to the Altimax tires. Both the RT and HP come in 195/65R/15. May as well stick with that size if it's stock. Other options are either shorter circumference, or require larger 16 or 17" rim to get a size close to stock circumference.

The Evertrek HP goes on sale at Canadian Tire quite regularly. I'm sure the RT is fine too. The HP is simply a bit stiffer on the sidewall and therefore has better, firmer, as in tighter handling response, and yet the ride is not harsh at all. Either of the Altimax HP or RT and/or Can Tire Everytrek HP/RT tire will do fine. Let us know what you get and how you like it.

Personally, I have found the Evertrek HP to be a great tire. It's asymmetrical, so it sheds water better than the RT. The ride is fine, not too rough etc, and it's nice and firm, great traction. I can't wait to mount them on my new 14" alloy wheels :)
Nov 24, 2005
35 posts
15 upvotes
St Catharines
Hello everyone,

Has anyone had any experience with the Altimax HP in snow ... just curious ... I'm thinking of putting 195/60-14 on my mother-in-law's '04 Aveo and it seems to be the best all-season for snow, that way, save for having dedicated Winters, which she won't do.

Much appreciated.
Deal Addict
Sep 3, 2004
1994 posts
5 upvotes
I have no experience with them for snow, but to be quite honest, I would have to guess that they would not be the greatest. I think they are probably good for a performance oriented tire, but maybe not as good as more conventional all season tires. Reason being is the tread just doesn't look like it has enough bite for snow. I could be wrong. I run General Altimax Artic snow tires.
Deal Addict
Sep 3, 2004
1994 posts
5 upvotes
These tires wore badly and wore out quicker than I'd have liked. At 42,000 KM they were showing uneven wear and two of the tires didn't make it past 74,000 KM.Terrible, pretty poor considering what other tires get and you have to subtract 33-40% of those KM because I have winter tires from Nov to April each year. I only drove the Evertrek HP one winter. The two rear Everytrek tires wore to the wear bars by last November 2013. I have to check out how much mileage I got out of them, but it seems pretty lame. They always worked fairly good, sticky in wet and dry and even worked ok when I had them on in the winter, but tread life is horrible. The original Michelin tires lasted 9 years all season.

The only things I did that may have contributed is I did not rotate side to side, only front to back. Maybe I didn't rotate them often enough. Also, my rear shocks may be bad, but the total time they lasted seems really bad. It's a Corolla! It's not like I was racing my car around.

Anybody else have poor experience for tread life with these Evertrek HP tires?

Looking for new tires. Unless I lucked out and was able to get a warranty replacement (I'd actually try the Altimax HP instead if I could) I am considering the following tires instead:

Nexen CP672 86H $360.00

Cooper Tour CS3 86H $380.00

Falken SN211 Sincera 85T $380.00

Hero HR668 86H $390.00

Fuzion Touring 86H $390.00

Falken ZE912 86H $400.00

Cooper Tour CS4 86H $420.00

Toyo Extensa A/S 86H $490.00

Falken RT615K 86H $520.00

Hankook

Khumo

Sumitomo

Ohtsu

Motomaster Touring AW/H

BF Goodrich

I can't find Pirelli, Yokohama, Goodyear, Firestone or Bridgestone tires in my size at places I've looked (195 60R 14). Michelin used to make a good tire called Pilot in my size, but no longer.
Deal Addict
Sep 3, 2004
1994 posts
5 upvotes
As an update. I must confess I have come to realize that the uneven lateral wear of the tires could be alignment. I know there is uneven tread wear due to bad rear shocks which I will probably replace unless I let this car go.