• Nov 3rd, 2008 5:55 am
Tags:
None
May 12, 2005
656 posts
26 upvotes
Markham

Genesis Buffet

Anyone tried Genesis Buffet (Vic Park/Steeles) yet? It says it's Brazillian style BBQ with Chinese/Japanese food as well.
55 replies
Deal Fanatic
Apr 6, 2005
5608 posts
47 upvotes
Toronto
There was a coupon in the mirror for XX% off but it is only valid on weekdays =/
Heat 43-0-0
Nov 11, 2003
272 posts
13 upvotes
if it's the one close to Vic Park and mcnicoll~
my aunt says there are very good crab legs. two types of make you own dish and they cook in front of you thing.
Oct 28, 2005
329 posts
90 upvotes
I tried it last weekend and I think the food is just average. There is an area where they cook the food there for you like pasta and steaks. I tried the lamb chop and it was horrible.....a lot of fat and the meat was tough. There was steaks there that look like fillet mignon....round steaks wrapped in bacon but I didn't see that until the end of my meal so I didn't have a chance to try it. The sushi selection was limited, just like other chinese buffet restaurants. My friend told me there was nice dim-sum there when he went like har-gow but I didn't see any. There were chicken feet and bbq pork buns. Dessert selections was just average, fruits, pastries and ice-cream.....no green tea ice-cream though :mad: . My friend got 10% off because there was a discount for the grand opening but now it's over. Service was pretty good. They come and fill our water glasses and clear the dirty plates without having to ask.
Deal Fanatic
Apr 6, 2005
5608 posts
47 upvotes
Toronto
I'll take one for the team then. Going to try it out today for lunch and give feedback if possible.
Heat 43-0-0
Deal Fanatic
Apr 6, 2005
5608 posts
47 upvotes
Toronto
Ok I just came back from it and everything was well.....a buffet but WAY better than Super Buffet. Heres why.

Note: These pictures were taken from my phone camera and quality isn't that good but try to work with me. I only managed to get the dessert table when it was not busy.

Pillsbury anyone? YES they are white at the top and not golden brown but BLACK at the bottom.
Sauces to choose from for the South American BBQ
1. Some type of relish
2. Oil / Italian Seasoning / Dried hot pepper flakes
3. Oil and Parsley

Round 1

For those of you who would like crab claws with shrimp...they do not put shrimp in it and put in fish paste instead. The sushi was subpar but the chive/shrimp dumplings I had were alright. I had 3 choices from the "South American BBQ" Either Beef Brisket, Beef Short Ribs and Pork Ribs. The ribs were horrible / tough and I had 3 sauces to choose from to add as a condiment, I added what was a spicy concoction of dried hot peppers, probably some italian seasoning mix and oil.

Round 2
I was about to ask for Brisket but when I saw the chef take it out, it looked rather overcooked and was guessing it would be the same as the ribs so I asked for short ribs as my brother who was eating wtih me told me it was rather tender and soft. So I gave it a go and added the condiment which appeared to be a relish of some sort (quite tasty I might add). The pizza well...was alright but I was busy arranging the food / looking at the selection so it went cold. The beef however, was average as well as there were parts where it would be medium- medium well but to me it would probably be the best out of the 3 you can choose from. I also understand what some of you meant at Carnaval where everything was oversalted, I kind of tasted the oversaltness in the short ribs before I added the relish on. I added some stir fried rice noodles and well it just tasted like stir fried rice noodles..nothing special along with the veggies I added.

Round 3
There was an all you can eat Pasta bar where a chef (some Cantonese guy) would cook it for you. I asked for Fetticine Alfredo. It was alright and the taste was there but as I was digging in, I found some metal string in it and I asked the waiter to put it back / I should've asked for some compensation but my uncle who was there told me not to be so troublesome *shrugs* so I let it go.

Round 4
The only fruit that was available there was either Pineapple/Watermeon or Honeydew and I did not choose to get any of them as it appeared rather rot and probably not fresh so I didn't pick it up. Instead I went for the Desserts. Really nice selection including pie. I however picked the Custard Buns and what the Cantonese called Flower buns with red bean paste. Quite tasty and a biscuit dipped in their oh so horrible choclate fountain which I explain in abit.

One of the first buffets I've ever went to in the GTA where it could include a Chocolate Fountain. It seemed rather tempting / revisit childhood memories but for some reason, it was clogged everywhere and noone was there to change it despite how there were a ton of busboys at the hotplates changing dishes and stuff. I only dipped it once and that was it. There were kids around today who put chopsticks and doubledipped the fountain so I made sure I didn't go in too far into the fountain. As for the Jello, I did not touch it at all as there was a little girl who took the thongs that you are suppose to pick up and put on your plate and used it to eat the jello. There was also a boy who was scratching his behind while picking up the marshmallow with his hands that he just scracthed his behind with and put it in the chocolate fountain. Really didn't want to touch it after I saw that but thats the gist of my experience on this item for today.

Verdict

Service was excellent as the waiters would take my dishes / refill water at a consistent rate. Food was well...buffet but not as greasy as China Buffet King. The BBQ meat section is only good when you know the chef just finished preparing it, otherwise it stays there waiting to be dried up and tough which was what I had when I tried the Ribs. Maybe they cooked it rather welldone / maybe even over welldone for my taste due to the fact that not all people there would like to see red meat on their plate. Dim Sum selection was huge I will say. Their Shrimp Dumplings (Har Gao) was really good and I managed to eat more of them afterwards. Sushi was always being made and there was also a Terriyaki / Teppanyaki place where you could have the chef cook some meat and veggies for you. Icecream well..yes while they did not have green tea, they had somewhat of a green tea cake at the dessert table. Had a nasty experience at the Chocolate Fountain after seeing the kids stick their fingers in it after they just scratched their behind with. Fruit was not fresh in my opinion and could be better. I did not try to soup as I knew I would get full if I drank soup but they had the usual hot and sour soup with bagguettes and Crescents to eat from. Overall it is like Buffet City but with a few twists as the bill came to $42.01 for me, my brother and my uncle. Might go back on a birthday or something though.

7/10
Heat 43-0-0
Deal Fanatic
Apr 6, 2005
5608 posts
47 upvotes
Toronto
keanefan wrote:
Oct 15th, 2006 6:25 pm
is it true that they offer a free meal on your birthday?

your review makes the buffet sound unappetizing.

all the hands picking up the food from the trays.
even when people use the thongs or spoons, the handle becomes "dirty" and it might touch the food.
sometimes the whole spoon or thongs falls into the tray of food.

> :(

Well that is expected compared to having kids lick those thongs and use it as a fork. Maybe I went on a bad day.
Heat 43-0-0
Deal Addict
Feb 17, 2005
3493 posts
280 upvotes
keanefan wrote:
Oct 15th, 2006 6:25 pm
is it true that they offer a free meal on your birthday?

your review makes the buffet sound unappetizing.

all the hands picking up the food from the trays.
even when people use the thongs or spoons, the handle becomes "dirty" and it might touch the food.
sometimes the whole spoon or thongs falls into the tray of food.

> :(
well that happens at all self serve buffets if you put it that way

I'd give the place a try, taco bell doesn't faze me so nothing can
Deal Addict
Sep 1, 2005
3799 posts
534 upvotes
Markham
Went before...for a buffet it's OK. The South American BBQ was a little different from other buffets. I liked the onion sauce/relish - anyone know what it's called. I'd like to make it for my own BBQ.

Other comments: the guy who does the cooking station isn't very nice. He limits you to one baked scallop dish. Guy insisted I already had one when I didn't and he didn't want to serve me one.
Jul 7, 2004
195 posts
5 upvotes
Toronto
Service: good, friendly staff and they cleaned up your plates promptly
Food: good, should try the filet mignon, ribs are quite good if it's freshly grilled.
other comments: i thought the teriyaki was kinda bland and the sushi/sashimi selection was small

overall it's a pretty good place for a buffet, I would recommend it. i'm gonna go again when it's my b-day. :cheesygri
Mar 5, 2002
706 posts
20 upvotes
Hi All,

Went there last Friday, and to tell you the truth? It's not bad at all. As one of the posters stated, it's just a buffet...but I'd call it a buffet plus. The brazilian bbq bit wasn't too bad. In fact I thought the service was excellent.

I ordered some short ribs from the grill, the cook said it would take about 10 mins and asked where I was sitting. But low and behold...I forgot about them, and 10 mins later the cook comes up and hands me my short ribs and say thank you graciously. NOT BAD at all!

Although, the other cook...the one with the lambs/chicken/steak/pasta etc station...he was quite rude. Not to me, (hell, he have me about 5 pieces of inoki(sp?) mushroom wraps, and 5 pieces of the large scallops!) but to other people, (especially to the non-Asians) he was quite rude.

I'd probably go there again, not on the top of my list, but I'd probably go there over Star Walk at the moment.

Cheers!
Tano
Deal Addict
Apr 4, 2003
4660 posts
79 upvotes
Oakville
This place used to be called Oriental Feast. There was a nasty email that was spread about the place five years ago saying that they recycled uneaten food.
Deal Addict
Feb 4, 2003
1780 posts
68 upvotes
Is there anything special on the weekend? or it is the same as weekday?

for the bday, I just called them and they said you need at least 5 people including the bday person. and it can be like 3 day before or after the exact bday.
Deal Fanatic
Aug 31, 2005
9916 posts
22 upvotes
The croissants don't even deserve to be called croissants.
In Every Heart Red Strength, Our Hearts Are Many, Our Strength Your Envy
Dec 1, 2002
805 posts
9 upvotes
Toronto
Just went about a week and a half ago on a Thursday. Had a 20% off coupon from a newspaper. The food wasn't great but definitely worth what was paid (especially considering the 20% off).

7 out of 10 is a pretty fair assessment. I'd probably give it an extra .5 just for the crap legs which is rare for a under $20 buffett.
× < >