• Last Updated:
  • Jan 19th, 2018 10:42 pm
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jul 10, 2006
2641 posts
74 upvotes

Geothermal question

So I live near orangeville in a house heated with electric baseboards, I know this sucks. I was thinking of getting a furnace this coming year. Gas isn't an option but propane or geothermal is. Would geothermal be the better option? I have heard it costs a lot for operating the pumps? Is this true? Which should u go for?
"Truth is High, Higher Still is Truthful Living" Guru Nanak
3 replies
Deal Addict
May 16, 2011
2005 posts
1118 upvotes
Clarington
I paid ~$40,000 for my geothermal switching from oil 3.5 years ago. You're going to spend a lot on getting ducting installed unless you happen to have a bungalow with an unfinished basement.

My house is fairly large and the previous owner would spend $3000-$4000 on oil to heat the place per year in combination with a wood stove.

It costs me about $1,500/year to heat the place using geothermal and the cost to air condition the place using geothermal is practically nothing (and I like it cold in the summer!).

My house is a ~4,000sq foot house that is fairly old (half of it was built in 1860) so it's fairly inefficient. A newer house would easily have way better numbers.

Also keep in mind that there are new government incentives for converting to geothermal. I would have saved about $10k on mine if I had just waited for the incentives.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jul 10, 2006
2641 posts
74 upvotes
Thank u for the reply. We do have a bungalow built in 1991 with partially unfinished basement. Guess it's time to renovate :)
"Truth is High, Higher Still is Truthful Living" Guru Nanak
Deal Addict
Jan 19, 2011
2386 posts
555 upvotes
Your best option is an electrically powered ground sourced geothermal heat pump system. They are extremely efficient, and after installation your annual heating expenses compared to electric baseboard will be reduced anywhere from 40% up to 70% or even more.

The big advantage is your new geothermal system both heats in winter, and cools in summer, and the reversed AC mode is more efficient and lower cost to operate than an 'air source' air conditioner.

Finally, the cost of solar installation (ground mount and roof mount, or a combination of both) is becoming more cost competitive, so ultimately installing a net metered solar installation means you can produce your own hydro for as little or a fair bit less than Ontario Hydro will be able to sell it to you in the future.

Really the future is electric, home solar and wind, and oil and propane will be things of the past soon.
"The truth is incontrovertible, malice may attack it, ignorance may deride it, but in the end; there it is."
Just a guy who dabbles in lots of stuff learning along the way. I do have opinions, and readily share them!