Germany - porsche museum in Stuttgart

• Last Updated:
  • Jan 24th, 2019 12:18 pm
[OP]
Oct 2, 2005
242 posts
110 upvotes

Germany - porsche museum in Stuttgart

Have anyone been to the Porsche Museum in Stuttgart? My husband is a Porsche fan and this is his bucket list. We are on a cruise and our cruise dock in Denmark, from there we fly to Germany for a couple of days before flying home to Toronto. I'm not sure if I should fly to Stuttgart and hang out there for a couple of days and fly home. Is there anything to do beside the Porsche Museum? Should I stay a night in Stuttgart and take a train to Frankfurt and fly home from there.

If anyone has been there or live there before may shed some light what is ideal to do.

Thanks.
9 replies
Feb 11, 2009
969 posts
228 upvotes
leannoon wrote:
Jan 21st, 2019 5:58 pm
Have anyone been to the Porsche Museum in Stuttgart? My husband is a Porsche fan and this is his bucket list. We are on a cruise and our cruise dock in Denmark, from there we fly to Germany for a couple of days before flying home to Toronto. I'm not sure if I should fly to Stuttgart and hang out there for a couple of days and fly home. Is there anything to do beside the Porsche Museum? Should I stay a night in Stuttgart and take a train to Frankfurt and fly home from there.

If anyone has been there or live there before may shed some light what is ideal to do.

Thanks.
I stayed in Stuttgart for 2 nights and was quite impressed. It's a lovely, clean, safe city to stroll around in. If you get the Landers rail pass, you can use it to get to Heidelberg (Castle ruins) and since you aren't tied down to a specific train, you can return at your own pace. Karlshrue and Mannheim are also nice.

I'm not a car fan so I don't know about the Porsche museum. I took some photos outside the BMW museum for free and that was enough for me :-)
Sep 30, 2001
27372 posts
6366 upvotes
Toronto
I've been to Porsche (and the nearby MB factory). I took a train from Munich and made it a day trip for Porsche. I wouldn't bother staying there myself especially if your time is limited. I would make the effort to see the MB tour - it's amazing.

Be sure to buy your tickets for the English tour online well in advance. If you have the cash you can also rent a Porsche on site to have some legal fun.
Don't talk about it, be about it
Deal Addict
Sep 3, 2005
2833 posts
448 upvotes
Vaughan
Why Frankfurt? It's the most boring place I've ever been to in the world, not even kidding.

You're much better off going to Munich, and the travel time by train will be similar. I've never been to Stuttgart, so I can't comment on that.
For Sale

Nothing at the moment
Deal Fanatic
Feb 7, 2017
7679 posts
5148 upvotes
Eastern Ontario
leannoon wrote:
Jan 21st, 2019 5:58 pm

Thanks.
phuviano wrote:
Jan 24th, 2019 1:38 am
Why Frankfurt? It's the most boring place I've ever been to in the world, not even kidding.

You're much better off going to Munich, and the travel time by train will be similar. I've never been to Stuttgart, so I can't comment on that.
READ the OP again.
Looks like they are flying home out of Frankfurt
(Not uncommon ... it’s a Lufthansa hub)

And Stuttgart is on her radar cause of her Husbands interest in Porches.
:facepalm:
[OP]
Oct 2, 2005
242 posts
110 upvotes
Thank you for the all the inform. It's very helpful. My plans are not 100% set in stone so I can move my itinerary around. If Munich is better than I'll do that and take the train to Stuttgart.
Sep 30, 2001
27372 posts
6366 upvotes
Toronto
leannoon wrote:
Jan 24th, 2019 8:09 am
If Munich is better than I'll do that and take the train to Stuttgart.
Munich is pretty nice. Along with the BMW factory and museum (it's really well done!) there's historical buildings to checkout in the city: Nymphenburg Palace, New Town Hall, St. Peter's Church, English Garden,etc.

The high speed train to Stuttgart from Munich takes about 2 hours, but isn't cheap. Factor that into your budgeting.
Don't talk about it, be about it
Deal Addict
Mar 21, 2010
4268 posts
1143 upvotes
Toronto
Honestly if it's really only a couple of days, and one of them is taken up by visiting the museum, it doesn't really matter if the place you stay in is "boring". Between time taken to go to and from the airport, to checking in and out of a hotel, to travelling to and from the museum (especially if taking the train to another city) - you're not going to have a lot of extra time, and you might even welcome somewhere "boring".

I feel like just being in another country (especially if you haven't been to Germany) is going to be interesting enough to take up your time even if it's not the most interesting city in Germany.
[OP]
Oct 2, 2005
242 posts
110 upvotes
Hi everyone,

This is great information and very useful. Thank you to everyone for your insight.