• Last Updated:
  • Jan 14th, 2019 3:39 pm
Tags:
None
Deal Guru
Apr 17, 2005
12487 posts
591 upvotes
The only good stuff in the food court is tropical Joe's and the Real Fruit Bbt.

This is my local mall but the truth is that it is trash. The refresh years ago is like putting lipstick on a pig. The Walmart is not a full Walmart. The home depot is not a full home depot. The winners has the poorer selection compared to other winners. The sushi place is disappointing even for food court sushi standards. I don't care for the generic burrito, Subway, Chinese food there.

Pros:
absolute dollar has some good selection of random stuff.
Upstairs washrooms are always clean.
Can get some cheap groceries at food basics
Cibc
Planet fitness is drawing more traffic into the mall.

These are straight facts.
----------------------
References:
My HoFo, eBay, HeaT & RFD Feedback! 100% POSITIVE!
Available upon request.
Rehan wrote:
Nov 13th, 2009 4:04 pm
All of you shut your mouths and leave the OP alone.
Deal Expert
Dec 4, 2010
16713 posts
1525 upvotes
Space for rent
I think as aznnorth said the whole community is pretty low rent to begin with so they don't want to inject a bunch of investment for naught. Most of the poleople who frequently that McDonald's and I suspect the mall are new immigrants who have little to do but loiter and eat up their time. I also grew up not far from there and to me the mall seems quaint even to this day. I have special memories about it and when I go there it's always a nice treat.
Deal Addict
Mar 31, 2017
3654 posts
1375 upvotes
place had a bad rep even in the 90's
Deal Guru
Feb 9, 2012
13580 posts
2305 upvotes
Toronto
Supercooled wrote:
Jan 10th, 2019 12:37 am
I think as aznnorth said the whole community is pretty low rent to begin with so they don't want to inject a bunch of investment for naught. Most of the poleople who frequently that McDonald's and I suspect the mall are new immigrants who have little to do but loiter and eat up their time. I also grew up not far from there and to me the mall seems quaint even to this day. I have special memories about it and when I go there it's always a nice treat.
Not far from this mall, change may be coming soon, but it's still the planning stages.
http://urbantoronto.ca/news/2017/01/6-s ... -riverdale
Deal Expert
Dec 4, 2010
16713 posts
1525 upvotes
Space for rent
playnicee1 wrote:
Jan 10th, 2019 4:23 am
Not far from this mall, change may be coming soon, but it's still the planning stages.
http://urbantoronto.ca/news/2017/01/6-s ... -riverdale
You know I've had some quirky dreams about that exact place where the beer store resides. All my childhood friends actually live in the streets behind there as we all went to school near there so that area is indelibly etched into my brain. I recall one of them being that area was renovated and I bought a house there out of nostalgia. I hope it's a foreshadowing because it actually might be affordable since the area isn't as 'nice' as others and the idea of 'going back home' to make a home is very quaint. Like never ever left the 'neighborhood'. Grew up there; grow old there.
Deal Addict
Dec 19, 2005
2107 posts
506 upvotes
Emancipated wrote:
Dec 14th, 2005 12:35 am
Duks is disgusting. At least it was when I went there. Every little Asian kid skipped classes and went ther to smoke and play Street Fighter. I'm so glad I was expelled from Riverdale and away from all the bad influences.
Ughhh I remember people would always spit in their mop bucket there
Deal Guru
Feb 9, 2012
13580 posts
2305 upvotes
Toronto
Supercooled wrote:
Jan 11th, 2019 8:38 am
it actually might be affordable since the area isn't as 'nice' as others and the idea of 'going back home' to make a home is very quaint. Like never ever left the 'neighborhood'. Grew up there; grow old there.
NOPE!
"Sales for available units range in price from $709,900 to $1,189,900. The Lofthouse Condominiums has a total of 58 units. Sizes range from 755 to 1070 square feet.

I wonder if there are any other plans to change things in the area...

https://www.buzzbuzzhome.com/ca/the-lof ... ndominiums

***to keep this on topic, there's a fresh new batch of people moving into the area that may or may not eat at the Gerrard square food court...
Deal Expert
Dec 4, 2010
16713 posts
1525 upvotes
Space for rent
aznnorth wrote:
Jan 5th, 2019 3:51 pm
The place is a dive with a fresh coat of paint. Stop pretending it's anything else. You must have low expectations. *welp*
Just a friendly reminder that your innocuous jibes about the place may be very offensive to people who grew up there and consider it home. Might want to tone it down a bit.
Deal Expert
Dec 4, 2010
16713 posts
1525 upvotes
Space for rent
tfmasood wrote:
Jan 3rd, 2019 11:46 pm
A little late Hahahaha, though the "food court" at Gerrard Square had only a couple of eateries before they added the few more in recent years. There was Poonie's on one side and Bessie's right across from it next to the bank. They both had decent stuff. Poonie's had great deep fried chicken wings with sweet and sour sauce. They later became Kaneko & Poonie before leaving. Bessie's used to make a nice burger and fries as well.

Then there was Steak & Burger next to Zellers. Their wings, garlic bread and onion rings were great too!

Also, the former Sears; where the Home Depot sits since used to have a nice cafeteria style restaurant tucked away in the store on the upper level by the portrait studios, it appeared.

On the outside plaza facing Gerrard Street on the street level by the underground parkade, there was The Pizza Barn & Spaghetti House restaurant' which looked quite nice and quaint.

Until a few years ago, their was a nice cafe/crepe place (kiosk style) on the upper level across from Service Canada and Benix called Crepe It Up or something like that. Had a nice sitting area to relax and have a nice treat there.
So you're responsible for ressurecting this thread 14 years later.

People who attended Riverdale and Jarvis were more likely to make a better life for themselves as opposed to a hooks like central tech or some of the other schools mentioned which were populated with jocks and generally deviants and degenerates who wanted to skip class instead of focusing on their grades.

Toronto being more cosmopolitan year after year I think Gerrard Squares time is near. I see a condo complex there in the near future because let's be honest, if they shut that down it won't affect the people much. Those stores serve little purpose imo.

Would be sad to see it gone but such are the times.
Deal Guru
Feb 9, 2012
13580 posts
2305 upvotes
Toronto
Supercooled wrote:
Jan 13th, 2019 1:11 am
Would be sad to see it gone but such are the times.
Gerrard square is not going anywhere.
There is no evidence of developers wishing to tear down the mall and create an outdoor mall in it's place
(stores on ground level of condos)

Condos seem to be going in around the mall instead.

Deal Guru
Aug 20, 2012
11429 posts
1481 upvotes
Pacific Ocean
Supercooled wrote:
Jan 13th, 2019 12:57 am
Just a friendly reminder that your innocuous jibes about the place may be very offensive to people who grew up there and consider it home. Might want to tone it down a bit.
No 1 cares nor GAF. But thanks for the PC statement. EVERY location on the planet has their critics and supporters. I suggest you stop with the passive-aggressive threats. *welp*
If the glove don't fit you must acquit! #WINNING
Deal Addict
Mar 31, 2017
3654 posts
1375 upvotes
playnicee1 wrote:
Jan 13th, 2019 2:41 am

Condos seem to be going in around the mall instead.

At some point, some smart condo developers will realize for the condo prices to go higher this mall has to go.
Deal Guru
Feb 9, 2012
13580 posts
2305 upvotes
Toronto
badOne wrote:
Jan 13th, 2019 10:31 pm
At some point, some smart condo developers will realize for the condo prices to go higher this mall has to go.
I doubt the mall is going to be torn down.
I believe they'll just work around the situation, like they've been doing so far...
Here's another potential condo development @ Gerrard & Logan:
https://condonow.com/Elevate-at-Logan
Deal Expert
Dec 4, 2010
16713 posts
1525 upvotes
Space for rent
playnicee1 wrote:
Jan 13th, 2019 10:56 pm
I doubt the mall is going to be torn down.
I believe they'll just work around the situation, like they've been doing so far...
Here's another potential condo development @ Gerrard & Logan:
https://condonow.com/Elevate-at-Logan
Unfortunately I think BadOne is right. You want an example of a 'mall' with living quarters above that hasn't been very successful look no further than the apartments across the street from Dundas West station. Those are kind of relics of the past and developers want chicness to drive the new buyers in. I suppose it isn't hard to buyout the whole building and do renovations and they can just kick out the tenants on the first floor.

The Galleria on Dupont / Dufferin is another example of a dying relic. Someone made a BlogTO post about how it's like time travelling going in there. Not many years ago I went to the Zeller's to pick up a parcel there. It's so weird seeing it like, lol.
Nov 9, 2013
11 posts
2 upvotes
SCARBOROUGH
I may know the fellow at Home Depot you may be referring to. There is an older fellow working there who surely knows his stuff about all things home reno. The rest of the mall needs a big upgrade or changeover into something else.