Sorry, this offer has expired. Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this. Add a Deal Alert

Expired Hot Deals

Sorry, this offer has expired.
Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this.
Set up a Deal Alert

Get $200-$750 cash back when you invest with BMO InvestorLine

• Last Updated:
  • Jun 10th, 2017 5:14 am
Verified Rep
Jan 24, 2017
5 posts
1 upvote
bige100 wrote: "This offer cannot be combined with any other BMO InvestorLine promotional offer except the Refer a Friend Promotion." Can anyone tell me what the refer a friend promo is all about? PM me if you have a code.
Hi bige100,

The Refer a Friend Promotion is just one way we say 'thanks' to our clients for spreading the word about us. The details can be found in the link below.

https://www.bmoinvestorline.com/selfDir ... f_tc_e.pdf

Thanks,
BMO InvestorLine
BMO InvestorLine
http://bit.ly/2l1DzL0
Deal Addict
Feb 26, 2008
1821 posts
1285 upvotes
XeniaOnatopp wrote: Then I suggest that you should write to those opposition MPPs (those who criticize the people on the Sunshine List) that earning 100K is expected and not noteworthy.

Yes, the Sunshine List is silly. It was invented by Mike Harris 20 years ago, which was a time when $100k was an unusual salary. After 20 years of inflation, the most recent Sunshine List shows that more than 100,000 public servants in Ontario earn $100k+ . Like I said up-thread, a $100k salary is good money, but in 2017 it's hardly so high that it would be a noteworthy achievement.

Cripes, if you take a look at Canadian military salaries, a simple Captain earns just shy of $100k (if the fellow were deployed in a theatre of operations, he'd easily earn $100k). Now, a Captain is a commissioned officer, but hardly a senior officer. Somebody who attended Royal Military College should easily hit captain by age 40. The money's good enough, but it's not as if attending RMC and making the rank of Captain merits a Nobel Prize...
Deal Addict
Feb 26, 2008
1821 posts
1285 upvotes
Sauerkraut wrote: I decided to transfer one of my brokerage accounts to BMO and take advantage of this offer. It sounded like an easy way to make $750...or so I thought.

I filled out the online application and received a letter asking me to come into a branch and provide ID (I'm a new customer to BMO). OK, so I take 2 pieces of ID to a branch, get them to take copies and sign/stamp them. All done, right? Wrong. I get a call a week later from investorline telling me that the ID validation wasn't done properly, that a teller can't do it and it must be done be "someone in one of the offices". Alright, I then book an online meeting with the branch so I can get someone more "official". I even get an e-mail confirmation for the meeting. When I show up at the designated time, the guy I was meeting with isn't available and he isn't even aware of the meeting. Frustration is starting to set in, but I've come this far. I wait until another person is available to see me. Eventually, I see the branch manager, she takes copies of my ID and stamps/signs them. I mention to her about the issue with the teller verification and she assures me that her verification will be ok. All done, right? Wrong. I get another call from IL a week later telling me that the 2nd verification wasn't done properly and I need to go into a branch again.

At this point, I tell the IL rep to piss off and don't waste my time any further.

As an update, when BMO Investorline increased their incentive to $1,000 to open an account and complete an asset transfer, I decided that the $1k was too attractive to pass up. Big mistake. I had a similar experience to yours, with phone calls and letters asking for supplemental forms to be filled out and mailed in, and asking me to visit a branch to have my ID photocopied and then sent to BMOIL. The branch photocopied my ID and then somehow it got "lost" between the branch and BMO Investorline headquarters. They then asked if I would go visit the branch a second time to have my ID photocopied and sent in again! Since it's taken more than a month and my account is not even set up yet, I informed them that they had already wasted far too much of my time and that they should simply cancel my application.

The $1,000 is not free money! You will earn every cent of it, and if you come out the other side without having torn out your hair, you're a better man than me!
Mar 21, 2012
91 posts
8 upvotes
Vancouver
now the new offer is $1200 for a $200000 deposit/transfer in.
Deal Addict
Feb 26, 2008
1821 posts
1285 upvotes
Rather than increasing the amount of the incentive, BMO Investorline should invest some money on developing systems that actually enable new clients to set up an account without totally pissing them off.
Deal Addict
Jan 4, 2009
4191 posts
5288 upvotes
on the links!
kneevase wrote: As an update, when BMO Investorline increased their incentive to $1,000 to open an account and complete an asset transfer, I decided that the $1k was too attractive to pass up. Big mistake. I had a similar experience to yours, with phone calls and letters asking for supplemental forms to be filled out and mailed in, and asking me to visit a branch to have my ID photocopied and then sent to BMOIL. The branch photocopied my ID and then somehow it got "lost" between the branch and BMO Investorline headquarters. They then asked if I would go visit the branch a second time to have my ID photocopied and sent in again! Since it's taken more than a month and my account is not even set up yet, I informed them that they had already wasted far too much of my time and that they should simply cancel my application.

The $1,000 is not free money! You will earn every cent of it, and if you come out the other side without having torn out your hair, you're a better man than me!
I ended up sending an email to BMO explaining my disappointment with their account opening procedures. I received a personal call from a woman who apologized on behalf of IL and took control of the process. She gave me her personal phone number and any issues that I had, I just called her...it went smoothly after that (I wish they had done that at the beginning). The transfer fee was reimbursed quickly and I even took advantage of the 2nd $1,000 promo by moving another account over to them. Now I'm just waiting for $1750 to show up later this fall/early January.