Careers

Get into Capital markets or become an equity analyst

• Last Updated:
  • Feb 16th, 2018 8:28 am
[OP]
Feb 12, 2018
1 posts

Get into Capital markets or become an equity analyst

I am set to graduate from Brock University with a BBA this semester.

My previous experience:
12 months of co-op work with BDC IT Venture fund as a Jr. Venture capital analyst
4 month experience as a customer service representative at Canadian tire financial services
CFA level 1
CSC
Proficient in Excel, Powerpoint, Bloomberg
Member of DECA and Finance Club at Brock
Have experience using various financial models and leading stock pitches, have been in stock pitch competitions among other Business schools.
Volunteered at a homeless shelter on weekends for several months. Once went on a mission trip to Costa Rica to teach kids basic English and math.
Set to graduate with honors and a 3.3 GPA.
What are my odds of landing a gig as an equity analyst at a major bank or large firm and how can I increase my chances.
10 replies
Deal Addict
Dec 8, 2007
4645 posts
854 upvotes
First post, welcome!

These posts from Brock looking to get into Capital Markets can help you out:

qualifications-work-rbc-bmo-capital-mar ... #p28409134

how-do-i-land-job-rbc-capital-markets-2 ... #p28410304
Mark77 wrote:"All aspiring students should go into the financial services - engineering is, and always has been, a poor choice for our brightest minds ... and TodayHello is my Hero ..."
Hydropwnics wrote:"TodayHello is a certified hustler and original gangster."
Apr 18, 2017
154 posts
59 upvotes
Get an MBA from a top ivey league school or else chances are slim
Deal Fanatic
Mar 9, 2007
9169 posts
3584 upvotes
Toronto
Send me your resume, my buddy works in capital markets and hiring peeps. .
financew wrote:
Feb 13th, 2018 3:42 am
I am set to graduate from Brock University with a BBA this semester.

My previous experience:
12 months of co-op work with BDC IT Venture fund as a Jr. Venture capital analyst
4 month experience as a customer service representative at Canadian tire financial services
CFA level 1
CSC
Proficient in Excel, Powerpoint, Bloomberg
Member of DECA and Finance Club at Brock
Have experience using various financial models and leading stock pitches, have been in stock pitch competitions among other Business schools.
Volunteered at a homeless shelter on weekends for several months. Once went on a mission trip to Costa Rica to teach kids basic English and math.
Set to graduate with honors and a 3.3 GPA.
What are my odds of landing a gig as an equity analyst at a major bank or large firm and how can I increase my chances.

WOULD SOMEBODY THINK OF THE CHILDREN!!!
Dec 5, 2010
58 posts
7 upvotes
Toronto
Cheapo-Findo wrote:
Feb 13th, 2018 1:45 pm
Send me your resume, my buddy works in capital markets and hiring peeps. .
What position are they hiring for?
Deal Fanatic
Mar 9, 2007
9169 posts
3584 upvotes
Toronto
Not sure, something about markets and operations analyst.
cowvun wrote:
Feb 13th, 2018 3:05 pm
What position are they hiring for?

WOULD SOMEBODY THINK OF THE CHILDREN!!!
Dec 5, 2010
58 posts
7 upvotes
Toronto
Cheapo-Findo wrote:
Feb 13th, 2018 3:31 pm
Not sure, something about markets and operations analyst.
If its not too much of a hassle, can you PM me the job description?
Thanks in advance.
Deal Addict
Dec 8, 2007
4645 posts
854 upvotes
Also, this topic has been addressed on these forums before - recently! A quick search should help!

Those research skills and acute, painfully conscientious attention to detail are pretty much standard requirements for entry level analyst jobs!
Mark77 wrote:"All aspiring students should go into the financial services - engineering is, and always has been, a poor choice for our brightest minds ... and TodayHello is my Hero ..."
Hydropwnics wrote:"TodayHello is a certified hustler and original gangster."
Jul 23, 2008
46 posts
22 upvotes
I work capital markets at a big 5 bank.

Your best bet is to go back at the firm you did your co-op. If they liked you, they will place you higher than an external hire. My current firm hires alot of co-ops for entry-level.

If you're looking for a front office position as a trader(or even as an analyst), you have to be top of the top for grades at an MBA level. You will not get a front office position with a BBA from Brock with a 3.3GPA.

Your most likely route is a back or middle office position.

I am just being real with you.
Sep 28, 2013
462 posts
104 upvotes
Distrust wrote:
Feb 13th, 2018 10:36 pm
I work capital markets at a big 5 bank.

Your best bet is to go back at the firm you did your co-op. If they liked you, they will place you higher than an external hire. My current firm hires alot of co-ops for entry-level.

If you're looking for a front office position as a trader(or even as an analyst), you have to be top of the top for grades at an MBA level. You will not get a front office position with a BBA from Brock with a 3.3GPA.

Your most likely route is a back or middle office position.

I am just being real with you.
am actually fairly surprised he got an internship in BDC's IT Venture group. have a friend who's an associate director there. His resume: Queens undergrad, analyst in Citi's structuring group in NYC, Ivey MBA, then east coast fund management (fixed income hedge fund) before going to BDC's Venture group.

to the OP, this isn't a knock, but you should really try to leverage that summer into something. I would say your chances at getting into capital markets are very slim in the front office. By the way, equity analysts are usually people with a CFA and MBA and 5 years of experience in equity research - analysts are higher than associates in that group.
Dec 23, 2008
333 posts
60 upvotes
Toronto
Hey Op,

If you don't mind me asking, why do you want to get into capital markets? I get the craze about it but I'm telling you now (and you might know already) it's not how they portray it on TV. It requires dedication and and there's very little work-life balance. I'm not saying you shouldnt get into it. If you really want to get this job, make sure you're the one for it. Its a pretty tight group (capital markets) and a small world. If you screw up big. Rest of the firms will find out.

Otherwise, if your doing it for the money. Look into consulting. You'll be making more (rate wise) and might not necessarily be coming home at 2am.

Whatever you decide best of luck. And it goes without saying. You need to network your ass off.
Good luck.