• Jan 22nd, 2015 9:14 pm
Tags:
None
Aug 6, 2009
309 posts
228 upvotes
Markham

To get the OPO or Not

Been racking my brain about the OPO. Was going to get the OPO months ago but went on a pretty long vacation. Now that I'm back would like to pick this up now, but feel like too much time has passed since its debut. I made the mistake of getting my previous phone late and new models opped up a week later.

Anyone in the same boat?
52 replies
Deal Addict
Mar 10, 2006
3873 posts
1142 upvotes
GTA
shaaazam wrote: Been racking my brain about the OPO. Was going to get the OPO months ago but went on a pretty long vacation. Now that I'm back would like to pick this up now, but feel like too much time has passed since its debut. I made the mistake of getting my previous phone late and new models opped up a week later.

Anyone in the same boat?
Oneplus confirmed the successor will be coming sometime in Q2/Q3 this year. Since they said Q2/Q3, it will be most likely later in Q2 (late May - June) even if it does come in Q2.
Now, that doesn't mean it will be instantly available for a random Canadian to order.
Probably first a few - several weeks it will be available to a handful lucky people, then will be more widespread as time goes. So, I would say, best case scenario would be sometime in late June realistically, or worst case late Q3 - Q4. And there are saying that next version will be USD$500. Still it will be best performance/value ratio, but if that is true, we are talking about a device costing us CAD$720 (USD$500 + USD$28 shipping + exchange rate + CC foreign currency subcharge + 13% tax + brokerage fee). It was a great buy when it cost about CAD$450, I am not sure if I can say that when I pay $720 for a phone.
Deal Addict
Dec 22, 2014
1278 posts
592 upvotes
Regina, SK
I agree to some extent that too much time has passed on the OPO. It is a solid phone and the value compared to buying a top NA phone is still good. However, a lot of new stuff is likely to debut in the next few months meaning you might be able to get a better deal on the OPO if you wait or still spend top dollar on something else that is newer and better.
Deal Guru
Mar 10, 2005
12349 posts
5403 upvotes
A few months have passed and the phone is old?

As long as the phone holds up, and there's nothing to suggest that it won't, I'm probably good for 3 years.

Extremely happy with the phone.
Deal Addict
Nov 3, 2012
1868 posts
493 upvotes
TORONTO
blexann wrote: A few months have passed and the phone is old?

As long as the phone holds up, and there's nothing to suggest that it won't, I'm probably good for 3 years.

Extremely happy with the phone.
Technology rapidly changes, we're in a new era of cpu processing, Snapdragon 808/810.
Dec 13, 2013
369 posts
222 upvotes
Whitby, ON
I don't think you could buy a phone outright with similar specs for the same price (e.g. Galaxy S5, Note 3, LG G3, HTC M8, LG G3, etc.). Also, the phones that have recently come out would cost you easily $300+ more.

My advice, if you need a new phone now get the OPO. If you could wait a couple of months for new phones to be released then wait. As of right now, there's still a high demand for the OPO based on the number of people requesting for invites in the original thread.

As noted in a post earlier, I don't think it will be worth waiting for the OnePlus Two as not only is it speculated to be priced higher than its predecessor, but I read rumors that it won't be running cyanogenmod.
Deal Addict
Aug 4, 2008
2217 posts
438 upvotes
I'm on the fence about jumping on a OPO too and currently have a Nexus 5. While I understand that getting a phone right now is kinda odd seeing as it's in-between cycles, I believe for those vanilla Android lovers like myself, it's not that bad of a purchase. If you like skinned Android, then I'd probably wait seeing as the Samsung and HTC announcements are just a few months away.

However, for those who love vanilla Android, we only have the Nexus line (Google Play Editions not available in Canada). Seeing as the Nexus 6 is a bust for most people like myself (too expensive and just excessive), my thinking is that a OPO is pretty good compromise. It's definitely better than the Nexus 5 and is half as expensive as the Nexus 6. The screen size, RAM, processor, battery, and a few other things are an upgrade from the Nexus 5 and some may argue may beat the Nexus 6 (battery and size for example).

If you were running with the Nexus 5 like myself and is skipping this generation's Nexus and holding out for the 2015 Nexus, getting the OPO right now would mean that you have a nice new upgrade from the Nexus 5 for a good 10 months. Remember, as a vanilla Android user, we don't care about the new skinned phones. Price wise, it's not a huge investment seeing as it doesn't cost nearly as much as a real flagship. If you have a phone to sell (such as the Nexus 5 I have which can easily fetch $250+), then the OPO is only about a ~$200 upgrade. Not too shabby I don't think.

Overall, I think the OPO is an excellent phone to tie over those who were disappointed by the Nexus 6. However, if you like skinned Android, then I'd definitely wait.
Aug 21, 2012
824 posts
104 upvotes
Xiaomi is also entering the market with some Redmi s2 phone, maybe check it out. Then theres elephone though I dont think it gets LTE.
Deal Expert
Dec 12, 2009
29541 posts
20458 upvotes
I think it is the lack of a direct Canadian supplier and the idiotic invite system that really turns people off of the One+. When it first came out, I was definitely wanting to stand in line for one. The ridiculous invite system caused me to focus attention on the Nexus 6. The cost of the Nexus 6 refocused my attention on the One+. It has been a roller coaster ride, but I finally got one during the sales window around Black Friday. If the stupid cost of shipping this thing into the country is excluded, the price is cheaper than a 32 gig Nexus 5 from Google (just under $420 with exchange, shipped to a US address). While the One+ is no longer a bleeding edge device, it still remains top shelf and should remain relevant for quite some time. There are a number of lollipop rom options available already which should keep interest high.
Deal Fanatic
May 31, 2006
6365 posts
776 upvotes
Toronto
If you want a new phone now, I'd get the OPO. I got mine about a month ago and no regrets. You could always just flip it when the OPT comes out and pick that up when it becomes more widely available. As mentioned above, the biggest problem with the OPO is the invite system because customers couldn't get their hands on the phone when it first came out. It's more widely available now but the phone has grown a bit old. There still aren't many phones that are significantly better, especially for the price. At this point, it is still pretty good value but our dollar dropping has kinda killed it.
Deal Addict
Aug 4, 2008
2217 posts
438 upvotes
Havo wrote: There still aren't many phones that are significantly better, especially for the price. At this point, it is still pretty good value but our dollar dropping has kinda killed it.
+1. I think this is pretty much what it comes down to. OPO seems to be the best value right now (if you don't get a lemon) and for the foreseeable future.
Feb 5, 2007
889 posts
473 upvotes
Mississauga
Right now it's cost. The OPO is 350 USD excluding customs. OPO 2 is like 550. If you have the money you can save it.

I just bought an OPO. It has some flaws/bugs in its software. I still need to learn to root/flash new ROMs cause I'm too scared. If you're fully versed doing that, go for it. Even just using it straight out of the box is great. The N5 and OPO are very comparable but I don't think it's worth switching unless you got the money. Mind you also the long time for a lollipop update when N5 already has it
Dec 20, 2012
728 posts
120 upvotes
Vancouver, BC
leeoku wrote: OPO 2 is like 550.
You have sources to confirm this or is this your guess!!!
Fido $45
Unlimited Canada Calling, Unlimited Global Texting/MMS, 5GB Data
Twilight 128GB Hauwei P20 Pro
Deal Expert
Dec 12, 2009
29541 posts
20458 upvotes
leeoku wrote: Right now it's cost. The OPO is 350 USD excluding customs. OPO 2 is like 550. If you have the money you can save it.

I just bought an OPO. It has some flaws/bugs in its software. I still need to learn to root/flash new ROMs cause I'm too scared. If you're fully versed doing that, go for it. Even just using it straight out of the box is great. The N5 and OPO are very comparable but I don't think it's worth switching unless you got the money. Mind you also the long time for a lollipop update when N5 already has it
The One+ 2 will likely not be available until the second half of the year. If the situation doesn't change, it will likely be near the end of this year before there is wider access to the new device. Waiting is not the panacea. As for comparing the N5 to the One+, the processor is pretty much where it should stop. The bigger battery is a real welcome improvement. There should be very few people that will complain about needing the charge the phone at mid day. The camera on the One+ is way better than the N5. Having 64 gigs of storage means likely never having to worry about the lack of external storage. The One+ feels really solid whereas the N5 feels plasticy. The One+ has a bigger screen. Have I missed anything?
Deal Fanatic
Aug 3, 2006
5351 posts
2459 upvotes
shaaazam wrote: I made the mistake of getting my previous phone late and new models opped up a week later.
OnePlus has already said that their next model will be out in Q3/Q4 2015. If you buy the One now, that's still at least six months before the next version.
Deal Addict
Aug 4, 2008
2217 posts
438 upvotes
Mulder and Scully wrote: OnePlus has already said that their next model will be out in Q3/Q4 2015. If you buy the One now, that's still at least six months before the next version.
On top of that, who knows how purchasable and what the price will be. I doubt they can keep doing this rock bottom pricing for long.
Aug 6, 2009
309 posts
228 upvotes
Markham
I'm sold guys! Can someone share a 64GB invite if they one please? Ready to buy
Feb 11, 2010
138 posts
16 upvotes
Saint-Jean-Sur-Riche…
I'll wait for the one+ 2 just for the new 64bit CPU.