• Aug 2nd, 2015 11:19 pm
Tags:
None
Deal Guru
Dec 7, 2011
11896 posts
24207 upvotes

Get Windows 10 Now…

Received this email from MS (as I’m sure most of you did) <--- Seems like we won’t have to wait for the notification!

[QUOTE]When will my free upgrade arrive?

You’ve already reserved, so your free upgrade is on the way.
This is the largest software upgrade event ever and we’re managing it so everyone has a great experience.

Your notification to upgrade could come as soon as a few days or in a few weeks…

…Absolutely can’t wait? You have a couple of options to get your upgrade sooner:

1. Visit a Microsoft Store for free upgrade services.
2. Use the Media Creation Tool to install immediately on one or more devices (recommended for tech-savvy users only).[/QUOTE]

http://www.microsoft.com/en-US/software ... eationTool

[QUOTE]Download Windows 10 Disc Image (ISO File)

If you need to install or reinstall Windows 10, you can use the tools on this page to create your own installation media using either a USB flash drive or a DVD.

Before you begin, make sure you have:

An internet connection (internet service provider fees may apply).

Sufficient data storage available on a computer, USB or external drive for the download.

A blank USB or DVD (and DVD burner) with at least 4 GB of space if you want to create media.
We recommend using a blank USB or blank DVD, because any content on it will be deleted.

Read the System Requirements.

If you will be installing the operating system for the first time, you will need your Windows product key (xxxxx-xxxxx-xxxxx-xxxxx-xxxxx).
For more information about product keys and when they are required, visit the FAQ page.

Select edition

Windows 10 editions below are valid for both Windows 10 Home and Windows 10 Pro.[/QUOTE]
36 replies
Deal Addict
Jun 15, 2012
1071 posts
253 upvotes
Toronto
This may be better in the computers forums
Aug 8, 2008
398 posts
137 upvotes
Calgary
Where's the hot deal?
-

Your mileage may vary.
Deal Addict
Dec 12, 2014
2460 posts
2960 upvotes
Toronto, ON
I'm gonna wait for reviews and people to pick apart the terms of service/agreement.

I'm skeptical. An OS that normally retails for $50-$200 when brand new release is suddenly free for the masses? Yeah, there's a catch
Deal Addict
Apr 4, 2007
4206 posts
1749 upvotes
Montreal
blackston3 wrote: I'm gonna wait for reviews and people to pick apart the terms of service/agreement.

I'm skeptical. An OS that normally retails for $50-$200 when brand new release is suddenly free for the masses? Yeah, there's a catch
Yes, the catch is you have to run the latest version of Windows (interpret that any way you like, lol).
Deal Addict
Dec 4, 2007
4869 posts
2743 upvotes
Quebec
as soon they have enought poeple migrated, they will charge for update.

and if you dont subcript, like anti-virus and stuff like that, your system will be at "risk"...
Deal Addict
Jun 1, 2008
4264 posts
7110 upvotes
blackston3 wrote: I'm gonna wait for reviews and people to pick apart the terms of service/agreement.

Upgrading now or later makes no difference. Unless you plan to never upgrade.

Windows 10 is free, but they changed how they make money. Its taking the path of Google, you lose privacy.

I also read solitaire has some pay subscription ( optional ). So there are many ways to make money, mostly though it's your information they are gathering and reselling.

You would be surprised how much things cortana knows about you already when you login with your Microsoft account.

Just with google, they make money with your information, Windows 10 is exactly the same manner now.
Deal Fanatic
Apr 17, 2005
5601 posts
2548 upvotes
Kitchener
It's a privacy nightmare. Telemetry, WiFi-sense, cortana, etc. Hope your guests who wants Wi-Fi won't be running Windows 10.
This space is intentionally left blank.
Nov 26, 2013
680 posts
408 upvotes
MTL
HyperTech wrote: as soon they have enought poeple migrated, they will charge for update.

and if you dont subcript, like anti-virus and stuff like that, your system will be at "risk"...
this is too much skeptical....When Microsoft charges for OS, everyone's not happy, now its free, whats bad about it? If they do charge for updates, just dont do the updates, and get a free anti-virus.... worst scenario, change back to the previous windows version you had.... I can see no harm in updating unless you hate its being free and newer.
Deal Fanatic
Jul 22, 2005
5485 posts
384 upvotes
Mississauga
Thundercloud wrote: It's a privacy nightmare. Telemetry, WiFi-sense, cortana, etc. Hope your guests who wants Wi-Fi won't be running Windows 10.
All those things are pretty easy to turn off. For me personally I love those features but to each their own.

Thanks OP for posting this, was wondering when I would be getting the update :)
Jul 8, 2014
426 posts
271 upvotes
Toronto, ON
Ok... But only because you demanded so nicely.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 25, 2012
5437 posts
4855 upvotes
Toronto
There is a major Windows 10 thread on Computers & Electronics section, we have been discussing it since last year and upgrading/testing for the past while: windows-10-a-1555493/

• The free upgrade is only for 1 year, you need Windows 7 or 8 to upgrade and they also need to be activated.
  • There are a ton of privacy invasive things that have appeared in Windows 10 which are turned on by default, most can be disabled but maybe not all, basically Microsoft is mining your data, everything is up for grabs, keystrokes, contacts, files, etc. There are also advertisements in certain areas of the OS now.
  • The current state of Windows 10 is not that great, there are numerous bugs and issues. Some people experience less and some experience more, all depends on your hardware/drivers and the software that you use.
Deal Fanatic
Apr 11, 2012
5865 posts
3138 upvotes
Winnipeg
reposte in wrong forum
Deal Fanatic
Apr 17, 2005
5601 posts
2548 upvotes
Kitchener
dealsoutlook wrote: All those things are pretty easy to turn off. For me personally I love those features but to each their own.

Thanks OP for posting this, was wondering when I would be getting the update :)
Actually, you can't turn off telemetry unless you have the enterprise edition.
This space is intentionally left blank.
Deal Addict
Jan 5, 2004
4212 posts
384 upvotes
Canada
GT!! wrote: Only if you're paranoid ... WiFi Sense is a great feature.
Sure it is.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 19, 2010
7409 posts
6686 upvotes
Toronto
Realistically, everyone's info is already somewhere considering how many apps and sites we use and sign up for. As if google doesn't already know almost everything lol. If it's a good update to have, I'll take it. I'm personally content with my windows 8.1. Feels like a windows 7 and I don't use 'modern windows' for anything.
Koodo Mobile
Jan 12, 2005
908 posts
96 upvotes

the catch is you have to use their shtty operating system.

Thread Information

There are currently 2 users viewing this thread. (0 members and 2 guests)