[OP]
Penalty Box
Sep 29, 2012
665 posts
34 upvotes
Toronto

Getting 11 month old collie border

Hello

We have a family friend who has the dog for adoption and we were thinking off taking him.. We are 4 family members in the house so everyone can look after him and we always wanted to get a dog.

I think since he is only 11 months old his old habits and rehousing might be a problem. I wasn’t looking up online about getting adjusted to new house could take some time..

Any suggestions on making this transition smoother or any experience with this dog breed ? He is seems like a good dog we have spent some time before with him.
3 replies
Deal Addict
Apr 25, 2011
1082 posts
678 upvotes
British Columbia
They are highly intelligent and active. I hope you're prepared for the multiple hours of exercise required of such a breed and that your lifestyle or home life won't be changing dramatically within a few years (such as children moving out etc.) ... They are an extremely driven and intense breed and if you're depending on your entire family to give him the exercise he requires I hope none of you "drop out" so to speak. Also if any of your family are young children, a Border Collie may not be best due to their herding and nipping tendencies.

They need both physical and mental stimulation daily and this is likely why he is being rehomed; they are most certainly not for everyone. They were bred as herders to do farm work all day and as such aren't the best for city life. They need a job. They need to run. They can frequently have destructive behaviour due to boredom, they can be neurotic, and they can be extremely timid (be mindful that a timid dog may bite & that where a Border Collie is concerned they may nip regardless as they are herders)...

I made multipule posts in response to another user in this thread: Need dog breed recommendations

In general if you're asking here you likely aren't prepared for a breed like a Border Collie. The dog making adjustments to a suitable household isn't my real concern (he's young and should do well given the correct structural environment), it's if you are that suitable household.
May 12, 2009
766 posts
329 upvotes
Many years ago, I adopted a 9 month old stray Kelpie (similar temperament to a BC). There was little to no adjustment time - we did learn the hard way though to make the house dog-theft proof. She was so easy to train it was ridiculous - but constant training was a must to keep their brains engaged. She probably had more than a hundred commands at the her best.

You'll have to be ready to devote a minimum of an hour to hard exercise a day - running, skiing, retrieving, or heavy playing with other dogs. We used to run her again another BC, they'd try to herd each other. They will try to herd young children and can be nippy. They can be escape artists as well so make sure you have a secure yard. Mine could (and did) climb chain link.

Herding breeds are pretty popular out where I am. You just have to put the time in.
Deal Addict
Jan 28, 2014
3028 posts
468 upvotes
sndeal - where or not a BC is the type of dog for your family will in the end depend on your family (and their ages) and how much time and care you are prepared to put towards looking after the pup.

But just remember, that there will be a honeymoon stage where a pup is on his/her best behaviour for the first few weeks before he/she realizes that he/she is in a forever home (hopefully) and then the true temperament will come out.

Our dog is also highly intelligent (and we have had one who was smarter - yikes!) but we were prepared for our current pup based on him.

Many people who adopt our breed of dog child-proof their homes - whereas others do not and there was not a need to depending on the dog and the family. There are different temperaments across dogs of same breed. Personally, I prefer a dog with "character" meaning a very smart dog, with an alpha personality, but on the other hand there is nothing wrong with a dog who is loving but not so smart. We have had a few. But generally we have ended up with dogs who are very smart (I let the dogs pick me) so they have kept us on our toes. Our "biggest" dog weighed 12 lbs. but physically he was the smallest of the bunch.

I did at one time know a very smart Border Collie who was well trained and a joy to be around.