• Last Updated:
  • Mar 16th, 2017 1:41 pm
[OP]
Nov 26, 2016
62 posts
3 upvotes

getting 2 undergraduate degrees

Hi,

GRaduated in 2015 with a undergrad in Biochemistry. I had poor grades in first/2nd yr since i had failed a course in first year since I didnt take it seriously. Then in 3rd year and 4th year I got really good grades. I dont like my transcript. I have a 79% cGPA but thats not good enough for med school or dentistry. Can I get another undergrad and apply to med school or dentistry? I know its incredibly risky but I feel I would be alot more mature and I would do well. Currently working full time atm, so I would be leaving a full time salary to do it.
4 replies
May 15, 2015
180 posts
51 upvotes
North York, ON
You'll need to look into the weight criteria of each medical schools. Some give more weight to more recent years, etc.
Deal Addict
Dec 6, 2006
3791 posts
698 upvotes
Toronto
Likely yes, but really have to check the entrance/application criteria of the med schools.

But wouldn't doing grad school in a bio-science related field a slightly better alternative than re-doing another undergrad degree? Doing another science undergrad will be a waste of time (especially, touch wood, if you end up not being able to get into med), doing an engineering degree will not help you too much in terms of knowledge if you're determine to go into med school.
Deal Guru
Dec 7, 2009
13394 posts
1223 upvotes
cGPA isn't weighted as much as your last 2yrs of undergrad. The first 2 years are designed to weed people out so nobody really gets a stellar GPA.
In a perfect system, corporations would fear the government and the government would fear the people. - David Wong

Check out caRpetbomBer's picks in this thread.
Deal Addict
Nov 12, 2011
3442 posts
286 upvotes
Niagara-on-the-Lake
You don't need to do a new undergrad because your old courses will still count towards our cGPA... (Correct me if I'm wrong). Just retake the classes you did poorly in to boost your cGPA. But as others have said, lots of places only look at your last two years.