Tags:
None
[OP]
Dec 24, 2011
11 posts
1 upvote
Scarborough

Getting Barcodes

I want to get my bath bombs into retail stores. Small chain stores.
I looked into buying Barcodes. 2-10 barcodes run for $500/yr + $200 set up fee.

http://www.gs1ca.org/pages/n/home/index.asp (official place)

I know there are bar code resellers ($2 each), which amazon bans and some big retailers don't like. I don't plan on selling on amazon or big retailers.
I read alot of resellers arn't credible. Not sure which ones are.

Not sure what to do..
Freelance Prototype Maker based in Toronto. Electronics, Computer Aided Design, 3-d printing. [self promotion removed]
3 replies
May 12, 2008
56 posts
2 upvotes
Toronto
If you only need few barcodes, give me the codes and I will do them for you free of charge.
I am not in the business of selling barcodes but I do work in the packaging industry.
Aug 8, 2017
19 posts
2 upvotes
It is unfortunate that these abhorrent prices result in such a deterrent to small businesses. As if the Postal Service was not as crippling as it already is...
Jun 18, 2017
195 posts
62 upvotes
Vancouver
Yeah the move to GS1 is both fortunate and unfortunate. On the good side, it's nice to have a standardized and relatively responsible company that actually has some oversight and quality control. On the bad side, it is hella expensive and more difficult for small merchants to get.

I'm 99% sure it's Amazon driving this growth (they require a GS1 level code for new products in most categories now); just another example of their outsized and distortionate effect on the marketplace.
That's my name...