Tags:
[OP]
Deal Addict
Apr 5, 2016
2698 posts
1451 upvotes
Calgary/Vancouver

Getting a Corgi

Looking to find a reputable breeder for Corgi's. I'm located in GVA so any idea where I can find a good breeder? Probably open to farther areas as well. Thanks!
Current Fido customer.
Ex Koodo customer.
7 replies
Apr 25, 2011
850 posts
383 upvotes
British Columbia
Have you done research on the breed? There are two different type of Corgi. Which do you want?

Also keep in mind a Corgi is a herding breed, this can have many unfavorable attributes for people not experienced with these types of breeds, and some Corgi require a lot of exercise. I think too many people overlook this aspect. They can often be barkers, and also aggressive to other animals. Also the extremely serious, and extrmely expensive to attempt to correct, spinal issues due to the length of their back is something most people overlook due to their cute factor.
Jul 7, 2017
989 posts
329 upvotes
SW corner of the cou…
As Karala says, it is very important to find a breed of dog that fits your lifestyle. Don't go for form over function when it comes to dogs.
Almost too cheap to shop through RFD
[OP]
Deal Addict
Apr 5, 2016
2698 posts
1451 upvotes
Calgary/Vancouver
Karala wrote:
Oct 2nd, 2018 11:29 am
Have you done research on the breed? There are two different type of Corgi. Which do you want?

Also keep in mind a Corgi is a herding breed, this can have many unfavorable attributes for people not experienced with these types of breeds, and some Corgi require a lot of exercise. I think too many people overlook this aspect. They can often be barkers, and also aggressive to other animals. Also the extremely serious, and extrmely expensive to attempt to correct, spinal issues due to the length of their back is something most people overlook due to their cute factor.
Yeah I done some research on the breed and know it's more work than other breeds but still want one. I have a decent size home for him to run around in as well as a backyard and a nice neighborhood. Can definitely give him the exercise he needs. I'm also going to get pet insurance so we're covered for any health issues that comes up.
Current Fido customer.
Ex Koodo customer.
Deal Addict
Sep 22, 2009
1797 posts
450 upvotes
Markham
Have you look into adoption? There are many dogs that need a 2nd chance to be loved.
Regarding insurance, I rather put the money aside. Give them good lifestyle and food. If anything comes up, I will use the money that was put aside.
Jul 7, 2017
989 posts
329 upvotes
SW corner of the cou…
Here's another thought/warning. If the corgi is a herding dog like a border collie or an australian shepherd, they are very intelligent and will get bored if left lone all day, and may end of destroying your house. Unless you're with the dog all the time, it may not be the best breed to leave at home alone while you're at work all day.
Almost too cheap to shop through RFD
Apr 25, 2011
850 posts
383 upvotes
British Columbia
bomber17 wrote:
Oct 3rd, 2018 8:14 pm
Yeah I done some research on the breed and know it's more work than other breeds but still want one.
I don't mean to offend you but if you've done research then you should know which type of Corgi you want. There is the Pembroke and the Cardigan Corgi and they are not the same, they are distinct breeds with different personalities attributed to each breed and even different appearance...
bomber17 wrote:
Oct 3rd, 2018 8:14 pm
I have a decent size home for him to run around in as well as a backyard and a nice neighborhood. Can definitely give him the exercise he needs. I'm also going to get pet insurance so we're covered for any health issues that comes up.
Having a nice home and yard are a good step, but to have a properly exercised dog you will need to allow the dog to be more active than a leash walk around the neighbourhood or a romp in the backyard. This is a herding breed, please don't forget that. If not properly exercised they become destructive and neurotic.

Check out this thread on Corgi activity: How much exercise does your Corgi get?

My Mini Aussie is a herding breed and she requires an hour of off leash exercise daily; chasing the ball non-stop the entire time or swimming where she'll fetch a bumper toy. It needs to be interactive - she isn't just going to run wild if I set her loose. We take her hiking in the summer and in the winter make sure to play scent detection games around the house. Some people enter their dogs in agility or other dog spots to help use up their energy and also engage them mentally. If you do not have a strong leadership skills you'll likely be walked all over.

And regarding insurance, keep in mind it may not cover certain things or it may have a huge deductible. When you get a breed with some serious predisposed issues insurance may be more expensive based on breed.
Deal Guru
Dec 17, 2001
11101 posts
4159 upvotes
Brossard, Quebec
I used to have a Corgi mix and the first time he saw cows he instinctively started herding them. They love water as well.They are a fun breed but do need a lot of exercise. Plan on making regular visits to a dog park if you have one in your area.