Careers

Getting an engineer job in St John's NL

• Last Updated:
  • Jan 31st, 2018 9:47 pm
[OP]
Oct 10, 2008
3 posts

Getting an engineer job in St John's NL

My partner may need to relocate to St John's for graduate work and we're trying to decide on whether or not I should relocate as well. I am worried about job prospects. I am a mechanical engineer with work experience in biomedical engineering as well as in research. I would be open to trying a new field or working in research again. Does anyone have advice with regards to finding a job in St John's and if this is something that is even feasible?
5 replies
Mar 16, 2013
68 posts
18 upvotes
I did my Eng. degree in St. John's and currently work here as a Petroleum Eng. That Mech degree in particular is pretty versatile (I have one) so I don't think you would have too much difficulty finding employment if you have an open mind to changing industries. I can't say there is much demand in the Biomedical field, that I know of; however, that's not to say that we don't have related companies. You might just need to approach them yourself.

Mech wise, I think there are lots of opportunities if you have your P.Eng.

Newfoundland is a resource driven economy, Oil, Iron Ore, Gold, with operations in both upstream development and downstream processing of each (see VALE Long Harbour Processing Plant, North Atlantic Come by Chance Oil Refinery, etc.). There is quite a large presence from the major oil companies in the downtown area (Suncor, ExxonMobil, Husky, Statoil, Nexen, Chevron) and of course all the spinoff work and service vendors employ engineers.

I can't offer much specific help, but yes, the jobs do exist, it's a decent sized town/city that is very old with lots of history. If you have more specific questions about a particular industry here, particular companies, or the place in general, feel free to shoot me a message.

Would be happy to help.
Apr 14, 2017
812 posts
378 upvotes
DT Calgary
Basically just oil jobs. The conventional mining (not oil) jobs won't typically allow you to live in St. Johns.
[OP]
Oct 10, 2008
3 posts
Thank you for replying. Just from browsing through job postings, it seems that there aren't many jobs posted as available. Do most people apply directly to companies seeking positions or is it that the pickings are generally fairly slim.
Deal Expert
Oct 26, 2003
30266 posts
2472 upvotes
Winnipeg
FreshCo wrote:
Jan 26th, 2018 7:54 pm
Basically just oil jobs. The conventional mining (not oil) jobs won't typically allow you to live in St. Johns.
considering a lot of people from NL went over to alberta during the oil boom, it doesn't seem they have much oil.
Apr 14, 2017
812 posts
378 upvotes
DT Calgary
divx wrote:
Jan 31st, 2018 8:29 pm
considering a lot of people from NL went over to alberta during the oil boom, it doesn't seem they have much oil.
Only so many off-shore rigs and so much surface area on them lol. I can't imagine they have any difficulty getting trades people or engineers/geologists. Especially when Memorial University has several programs geared just towards off-shore oil extraction.