Off Topic Archive

Locked: getting a G from G2..how long???

• Last Updated:
  • Mar 22nd, 2005 4:36 pm
Tags:
None
Deal Addict
Jul 25, 2003
2091 posts
1 upvote

getting a G from G2..how long???

hey was wondering how long till i can get a G from a G2
some one told me 8 months....some are saying 1 year and some say 1 month??
and i cant find anything in the book unless if i missed it
thanks
Share:
17 replies
Banned
Jan 11, 2004
19816 posts
553 upvotes
1 year if you dont go through certified driving course, 8 months if you do.
Nov 28, 2004
560 posts
Toronto
O, is there such a thing as renewing ur licence?....cuz my 5 yrs is comin up and dun think i got time to get my G yet....
Deal Addict
Jan 24, 2003
4466 posts
4 upvotes
Here you go:
Class G2
New drivers must hold a G2 licence for a minimum of 12 months before they can attempt the G2 road test. At this level, you have more privileges because of your driving experience. You may drive without an accompanying driver on all Ontario roads anytime. However, you are still required to:

maintain a zero blood alcohol level while driving;
ensure the number of passengers in the vehicle is limited to the number of working seat belts.

MTO link
Why are hurricanes named after women? When they come they are wet and wild but when they leave they take your house AND your car.
Deal Addict
Jul 30, 2003
1435 posts
33 upvotes
angela44 wrote:O, is there such a thing as renewing ur licence?....cuz my 5 yrs is comin up and dun think i got time to get my G yet....
Book the very latest you possibly could on their automated phone thing(of course within reason like say 6mths after your G2 expires). Go to the MTO and have your liscence extended until your booked date. Go home and change your booking date to something earlier. Why do it this way? If you book the earliest date, and get your liscence extended then. if you happen to fail, that's it for your G2, however if you do it the way that was suggested, even if you fail, as long as you get another booking before the expiry then you're ok.
...life is nothing more than a journey through the consequences of our actions...
Sep 12, 2004
516 posts
4 upvotes
North York, Toronto
if u do driving training course second time around to get your G it is reduced to 8 months? hmm didn't know that...
Deal Fanatic
Dec 11, 2003
7708 posts
243 upvotes
no I don't think there is any more driving course for G test. You still have to wait at least 1 year.

And i think that 1 year of driving experience worth more than any course.
October 2015 for sale, PM for details!
PS3 EA Sports Active 2 $20
195-65-15 Winter tire with alloy wheel $500
Dec 23, 2004
348 posts
If you take a driving with such companys as dtsm or young drivers you can take you g1 test in 8 months.If yu do not you have to waite untill 1 year.
Jan 7, 2004
170 posts
coming from someone in the graduated license system now (almost out actually):

Minimum 16 years old -> G1 -> 12 months without driving school/8 months with driving school MINIMUM wait times -> G2 -> MINIMUM 1 year wait -> G

You can complete the graduated license system in as little as 20 months, and you have MAXIMUM 5 years

100% sure about this
Dec 28, 2002
970 posts
1 upvote
brooksjames wrote:coming from someone in the graduated license system now (almost out actually):

Minimum 16 years old -> G1 -> 12 months without driving school/8 months with driving school MINIMUM wait times -> G2 -> MINIMUM 1 year wait -> G

You can complete the graduated license system in as little as 20 months, and you have MAXIMUM 5 years

100% sure about this
finnaly someone that doesnt make stuff up or give false info
Oct 11, 2004
294 posts
Toronto
angela44 wrote:O, is there such a thing as renewing ur licence?....cuz my 5 yrs is comin up and dun think i got time to get my G yet....
If at all possible, try to do your G test. A few years ago I was in the same position, but I managed to get a good test date (I kept calling the testing centres since there are always cancellations) and passed with just 3 weeks to spare before my license expired.
Deal Addict
Aug 13, 2002
3307 posts
26 upvotes
brooksjames wrote:coming from someone in the graduated license system now (almost out actually):

100% sure about this
WRONG on the last part. AFAIK, there is not a maximum (if there is, its a lot more than 5 years), thats a mistake a lot of people make.

This is what happens.

If you get your G1, and then say you get your G2 after a year, you have 4 years left to get your G. If you get your G2 after 2 years, then you have 3 years left to get your G. So far this is consistent with what you said.

Now, once you pass a certain period, I don't remember exactly when, but I think its around 3.5 years or so, when you go from G1 -> G2, you renew your license ($75) and you get 5 years from the date you got the G2. Same applies for G2 -> G.

The 5 years maximum is the amount of time you have to either take a test to get to the next level OR take the previous test to maintain your current level.
Deal Addict
Jan 22, 2003
3913 posts
40 upvotes
Austin/Markham
Rehii wrote:If at all possible, try to do your G test. A few years ago I was in the same position, but I managed to get a good test date (I kept calling the testing centres since there are always cancellations) and passed with just 3 weeks to spare before my license expired.
sweet, i didnt and my test was on the day my g2 was expiring :(

The instructor failed me for trying to turn right on a yellow and I had to take a taxi home :(
__
demandez-lui si elle dormira avec vous pour un LED keychain
Deal Addict
Aug 13, 2002
3307 posts
26 upvotes
webdoctors wrote:sweet, i didnt and my test was on the day my g2 was expiring :(

The instructor failed me for trying to turn right on a yellow and I had to take a taxi home :(
Dont think I've heard of this one before. Whats wrong with turning right on a yellow if you can turn right on a red as well?
Deal Addict
Jan 22, 2003
3913 posts
40 upvotes
Austin/Markham
Nyte wrote:Dont think I've heard of this one before. Whats wrong with turning right on a yellow if you can turn right on a red as well?
yellow means stop unless its not safe to do so....so i had to come to a complete stop and than turn right. THe reason i didn't stop was it had just turned yellow and it i turned right i would be blocking the sidewalk stopping on the line (so pedestrians wanting to cross da street would have to go around my car), but the guy didn't care, apparently pedestrians don't mean $hit to him.. :evil: i stopped cause he said i should, but he failed me cause he said if he hadnt said stop i would've turned right.

so basically in my opinion it wasn't safe to stop but he disagreed and u can't appeal drivers tests :-0
__
demandez-lui si elle dormira avec vous pour un LED keychain
× < >