Students

Getting into Universities in Toronto

[OP]
Jun 2, 2018
3 posts

Getting into Universities in Toronto

Hi guys!

I'm a grade twelve student in Alberta, graduating at the end of June. However, my family is moving to Toronto soon so I would have to do my post-secondary there. I'm on the edge of English and it's been pretty tough (especially essays and reading comp.) for me so I don't know if my marks on other courses are enough to bring up my overall average. I love doing sciences and it's been great for me. I'm hoping to get into medical field so probably BSc in any sciences that could possibly lead me to either Dentistry, Pharmacy or Medicine.
My grades are:
- English 30-1 (I believe it is ENG4U in Ontario): 60%
- Math 30-1 (MHF4U): 71%
- Biology 30: 86%
- Chemistry 30: 78%
- Science 30 (I think it's SES4U): 89%

Based on my grade would I be better off doing Academic Upgrading or will I be fine applying to Universities? If yes, what university do you recommend for me? If not, what path would you recommend for me to take?

Thanks so much!! Hoping to get a response.
13 replies
Deal Addict
Dec 27, 2013
1802 posts
463 upvotes
Woodbridge
Ontario universities look at your top 6 grade 12 credits. All programs have ENG4U as a prerequisite. Science programs will likely want one or two sciences and one math, based on the program. What is your 6th mark? The 5 that you posted have an average of 76.8. Use this article to get an idea - https://www.macleans.ca/education/unive ... etting-in/
[OP]
Jun 2, 2018
3 posts
Sorry forgot the sixth mark, it’s the Math 31 which I believe is math and vectors something in Ontario and I have a 70 on it.
Deal Addict
Dec 27, 2013
1802 posts
463 upvotes
Woodbridge
lexine wrote:
Jun 4th, 2018 1:04 pm
Sorry forgot the sixth mark, it’s the Math 31 which I believe is math and vectors something in Ontario and I have a 70 on it.
Are those your 6 highest marks? I'm not sure you'd need 2 maths and 3 sciences for most programs. Are you taking any law or humanities or other other courses equivalent to the university/mixed courses we have here?
May 17, 2018
201 posts
77 upvotes
lexine wrote:
Jun 3rd, 2018 10:16 pm
Based on my grade would I be better off doing Academic Upgrading or will I be fine applying to Universities? If yes, what university do you recommend for me? If not, what path would you recommend for me to take?

I won't speak to whether or not you'll get in somewhere, but that leads to the follow-up question of how you'll do once you get there. If I were you, I would be very concerned to make sure that I was academically prepared for university in all relevant areas, and I would be especially concerned about that 60% in English, even if I already had an acceptance letter from somewhere. Based on what what you've written about your experiences in English class, I would definitely want to improve my reading and writing skills significantly before spending a lot of money and time trying for a university degree. No matter what courses you take, you'll be reading something and writing something, and if you end up with a degree and a job that makes good use of that degree, you can be certain that it will involve still more reading and writing. But... my advice is free, and it's your life/education.
“Of this one thing make sure against your dying day – that your faults die before you do.” - Seneca
[OP]
Jun 2, 2018
3 posts
jvnanu wrote:
Jun 4th, 2018 5:27 pm
Are those your 6 highest marks? I'm not sure you'd need 2 maths and 3 sciences for most programs. Are you taking any law or humanities or other other courses equivalent to the university/mixed courses we have here?
No, unfortunately. I only took the sciences, english and math since I was told that was all I needed to help me prepare for University. I took social studies 30-2 as well but I'm pretty sure they're not counted for University.
Symplr wrote:
Jun 5th, 2018 6:27 pm
I won't speak to whether or not you'll get in somewhere, but that leads to the follow-up question of how you'll do once you get there. If I were you, I would be very concerned to make sure that I was academically prepared for university in all relevant areas, and I would be especially concerned about that 60% in English, even if I already had an acceptance letter from somewhere. Based on what what you've written about your experiences in English class, I would definitely want to improve my reading and writing skills significantly before spending a lot of money and time trying for a university degree. No matter what courses you take, you'll be reading something and writing something, and if you end up with a degree and a job that makes good use of that degree, you can be certain that it will involve still more reading and writing. But... my advice is free, and it's your life/education.
Yeah, that's why I couldn't make my decision since I'm getting decent marks in sciences but english just kept pulling me down and I thought whether it's going to be okay for me in University with a 60 percent. I guess I'll just do academic upgrading and get english out of the way. Thanks so much everyone :)
Deal Addict
Dec 27, 2013
1802 posts
463 upvotes
Woodbridge
becca6778 wrote:
Jun 6th, 2018 3:33 pm
Those cut-offs seem incredibly low, IMO.
That was my thought as well.
Jan 14, 2010
593 posts
150 upvotes
lexine wrote:
I love doing sciences and it's been great for me. I'm hoping to get into medical field so probably BSc in any sciences that could possibly lead me to either Dentistry, Pharmacy or Medicine. My grades are...
I'm going to be a realist here and suggest you consider your future options very carefully. Getting an 89% as your highest science grade in highschool (and Earth/Space, which is practically a geography rather than a science) is unlikely to land you in any professional school in 4 years. Otherwise pursing science because you enjoy can be fine, but just know that a 3-4yr science degree can have roadblocks employment-wise as with arts.
With your current grades, if university is a goal, I would pursue upgrading. Not only to make the cutoff for admission, but to have half a chance of success when you get there. So that means not only English, but generally beefing up your knowledge in everything. First year science in uni is usually some combo of Bio, Chem, Physics, Calc, elective.
Jan 8, 2010
114 posts
29 upvotes
lexine wrote:
Hi guys!

I'm a grade twelve student in Alberta, graduating at the end of June. However, my family is moving to Toronto soon so I would have to do my post-secondary there. I'm on the edge of English and it's been pretty tough (especially essays and reading comp.) for me so I don't know if my marks on other courses are enough to bring up my overall average. I love doing sciences and it's been great for me. I'm hoping to get into medical field so probably BSc in any sciences that could possibly lead me to either Dentistry, Pharmacy or Medicine.
My grades are:
- English 30-1 (I believe it is ENG4U in Ontario): 60%
- Math 30-1 (MHF4U): 71%
- Biology 30: 86%
- Chemistry 30: 78%
- Science 30 (I think it's SES4U): 89%

You have a 60% in English, 71% in Math, 78% in chemistry... and think that you will perform well enough in university to get into dentistry, pharmacy, or medical school? You need to re-evaluate your career plans. This is just not going to happen, barring any personal reasons to explain your poor/average grades in a high school curriculum. This is a classic case of overreaching when you are clearly not demonstrating an intelligence that is in the top 10%, which is a minimum to get into programs like medicine, dentistry, and pharmacy.

https://www.ualberta.ca/medicine/progra ... statistics
https://www.ualberta.ca/school-of-denti ... statistics
https://www.ualberta.ca/pharmacy/progra ... quirements
http://www.md.utoronto.ca/admission-statistics
http://www.oxfordseminars.ca/MCAT/mcat_profiles.php
http://www.dentistry.ubc.ca/dmd/dmd-ent ... tatistics/
http://www.schulich.uwo.ca/dentistry/do ... istics.pdf
Mar 6, 2015
329 posts
20 upvotes
If the post or comment helps or delights you, please CLICK that LIKE BUTTON!😃
Jan 8, 2010
114 posts
29 upvotes
cybercavalier wrote:
Jun 7th, 2018 12:03 pm
May I ask you what idea prompted you to look for the statistics?
I am a Professional student in one of these programs. It took me less than 5 minutes to pull up the links. What prompted me to look for stats? The fact that the OP thinks he or she will realistically get into medicine, dentistry, or pharmacy school when they are performing poorly in high school (given grade inflation and how much students' averages drop in undergrad). It's better that he or she gets a dose of reality now, rather than years down the road after they have invested tens of thousands of dollars and years of time and commitment into this pursuit - that will likely not get them very far. Not everyone can or should get into these rigorous postgraduate healthcare programs, and OP is clearly someone - barring any personal reasons that could explain the poor grades - that will get into them.
Mar 6, 2015
329 posts
20 upvotes
To OP, as we posters on RFD can only look at the grades, the OP needs academic upgrading for his or her target to get into university to do well.
Aug 7, 2015
49 posts
8 upvotes
Ottawa
I hate to say this OP but you probably are going to have to repeat grade 12 here in Ontario if you want a chance at University. Your English mark is low for University as most usually consider a minimum of 70% for admission. I did a fifth year of high school as my marks were not high enough the first time for admissions and I learned more in depth about the material being taught as well as improved my study habits. The other option if you really want to graduate high school is going to go community college and doing a 2 or 3 year diploma program, then going to University. The latter option is much harder to do but the former option is easier.
Mar 6, 2015
329 posts
20 upvotes
surflife6 wrote:
Jun 10th, 2018 10:58 pm
I did a fifth year of high school as my marks were not high enough the first time for admissions and I learned more in depth about the material being taught as well as improved my study habits. The other option if you really want to graduate high school is going to go community college and doing a 2 or 3 year diploma program, then going to University. The latter option is much harder to do but the former option is easier.
May you explain more about your past choices so the OP can learn from the explanation?

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)