Students

Getting Kicked out of University (university > college > university?)

• Last Updated:
  • May 9th, 2018 3:24 pm
[OP]
Feb 8, 2018
1 posts

Getting Kicked out of University (university > college > university?)

After 3 years of university while dealing with severe mental health issues and currently recovering, I have been asked to withdraw from university. I am planning to go to Conestoga College and take a business diploma program for a year, keep up good grades and transfer into the University of Toronto for International Relations since the program does not require any specific prerequisites in first year. Do you guys think it would be possible? If I kept up good grades, will they mainly base their consideration on my college grades and not the mess I made in my three years of university?

Advice would be greatly appreciated! Thank you!
20 replies
Deal Addict
Dec 3, 2004
4769 posts
2805 upvotes
Vancouver
Do you just want a degree from UofT, don't care what it is in? The way you phrase it, it sounds like that's the case. What are you going to do with a Bachelor's degree in International Relations?
Deal Expert
Nov 15, 2004
15220 posts
1904 upvotes
Toronto
adamtheman wrote:
Feb 10th, 2018 11:11 pm
Do you just want a degree from UofT, don't care what it is in? The way you phrase it, it sounds like that's the case. What are you going to do with a Bachelor's degree in International Relations?
A degree opens many doors and many career paths you'd be completely shut out of without one. If you want to get past an HR filter or an immigration program a university degree in interpretive dance or underwater basket weaving will take you much farther than literally anything you can study at a college.
Could HAVE, not could OF. What does 'could of' even mean?
Dec 15, 2015
385 posts
202 upvotes
Toronto
Piro21 wrote:
Feb 10th, 2018 11:21 pm
A degree opens many doors and many career paths you'd be completely shut out of without one. If you want to get past an HR filter or an immigration program a university degree in interpretive dance or underwater basket weaving will take you much farther than literally anything you can study at a college.
LMAO this is so wrong, and its scary that people still believe this is true. As a university and college grad. My college diploma has taken much much much further than my university degree. Its to the point I don't even mention I went to University anymore. This isn't the 90s anymore. Each has it purpose and depending on your career path, one may be better than the other. I'm in the engineering world with a college diploma and I'm hiring P.Eng's for my team.
Deal Expert
Nov 15, 2004
15220 posts
1904 upvotes
Toronto
TheMaterial wrote:
Feb 14th, 2018 3:54 pm
LMAO this is so wrong, and its scary that people still believe this is true. As a university and college grad. My college diploma has taken much much much further than my university degree. Its to the point I don't even mention I went to University anymore. This isn't the 90s anymore. Each has it purpose and depending on your career path, one may be better than the other. I'm in the engineering world with a college diploma and I'm hiring P.Eng's for my team.
Apply for a job in the US without a degree and let me know how far you get past their immigration system. My company automatically filters out those without a degree for most of our higher end entry level roles, and I know many other companies here do as well. Like it or not, a whole lot of people favor degrees to an insane extent, and won't hold give diplomas the same level of respect.
Jan 8, 2010
111 posts
29 upvotes
Piro21 wrote:
Feb 14th, 2018 4:39 pm
Apply for a job in the US without a degree and let me know how far you get past their immigration system. My company automatically filters out those without a degree for most of our higher end entry level roles, and I know many other companies here do as well. Like it or not, a whole lot of people favor degrees to an insane extent, and won't hold give diplomas the same level of respect.
This is primarily a Canadian forum, so we don't typically talk about international employers.
Dec 15, 2015
385 posts
202 upvotes
Toronto
Piro21 wrote:
Feb 14th, 2018 4:39 pm
Why would I apply for a job in the US? Lots of work for here. You said a university degree will take your further than a college diploma. That's false. Elon Musk has a great interview where he him self says a degree isn't all its cut out to be. You spewing about what your company and respect levels is fine and dandy but it means nothing to prove the point. When was the last time you saw cabinet maker in university? Lots of people with their C.E.T's are running companies and have teams of engineers working for them. That college grad sure seems like he's a lot further along than those university grads working for them.

Again the thinking is changing, your industry may be degree driven, doesn't mean they all are. For example if you were hiring a computer programmer and were to filter out degree's you'll miss out on some the brightest individuals out there.

As said earlier...Each has it purpose and depending on your career path, one may be better than the other.
Aug 7, 2015
49 posts
8 upvotes
Ottawa
Honestly, do the diploma program for a year and see where you stand. If you feel like the program you were in was not right for you, go back to University a year later and do another program that suits your abilities. I can relate to this as I am in a year suspension from University myself and doing a 2 year General Arts and Science program at Seneca. I discovered that I am not good at the major I was originally doing and now planning to go into a new one when I go back this summer. College is not a walk in the park as you think it is. I'm not doing as great as I expected to be but still better than University for me with the wrong major I was in for 2 years.
Deal Addict
Aug 15, 2015
1104 posts
144 upvotes
Markham, ON
Were you working while you were in school? How are you paying your tuition? Why rush back to school?
Deal Addict
Dec 27, 2007
2521 posts
490 upvotes
Edmonton
My journeyman ticket opened way more doors than my university degree. And not only it opened more doors, it opened way better paying options.

And best part is there is no corporate ladder to fight through, we leave that corporate ladder for the children who like to try one-up others and throw others under the bus.

I think your living in the past, Piro21.

And to the OP, go for whatever makes you happy
warming up the earth 1 gas fill-up at a time...
You only live once, get a v8
May 1, 2013
391 posts
20 upvotes
Toronto
Piro21 wrote:
Feb 10th, 2018 11:21 pm
Don't listen to this moron.

I have both a degree and a college diploma. Guess what employers care more about and is more useful? it isn't my useless degree.

You have no idea what you're talking about.
Deal Expert
Nov 15, 2004
15220 posts
1904 upvotes
Toronto
Ferocious12 wrote:
Apr 28th, 2018 5:35 pm
Don't listen to this moron.

I have both a degree and a college diploma. Guess what employers care more about and is more useful? it isn't my useless degree.

You have no idea what you're talking about.
"Hey guys, I've never encountered the problem of being shut out of every HR department because I don't have a degree, so let me tell you why you I'm an expert on a problem I've never experienced! Next I, a male, will lecture you on why nobody should ever worry about ovarian cancer!"

If you don't have a degree you're shut out of most higher-level corporate office jobs right off the bat. Your resume won't even be considered by HR departments as you won't pass their filters. I've worked my way up to a senior Business Analyst role without a degree, so I know from experience. Most of the people here criticizing me either work in blue collar fields, are in very junior corporate roles, or (like this guy above) have no idea what they're talking about because they have post-secondary credentials and have never faced this problem.

OP, you're going for corporate office jobs. I'm telling you from experience that you will face a hard ceiling and an uphill road changing employers without that piece of paper. Every interview I've had in the last 5 years, even internally at my own employer, has made it clear they've limited the role to applicants with a degree. Yes, it makes no sense, but that is how it is. HR departments in Toronto have tons of applicants to choose from, so they can be as illogical as they want. When you're applying for a senior level role and facing off against all your coworkers with similar work experience and capabilities as well as outsiders, you need every edge you can because the company will be looking for reasons to narrow the field to the candidate that looks best on paper. If you're applying for a management role where the people you're managing will have degrees it will come up even though you may have earned it decades ago.

Take some time off and work to clear your head for now, but make sure you go back and get it while you're young so you won't have to get it later when it becomes important.
Banned
Jun 8, 2008
3977 posts
1367 upvotes
Toronto
csml203 wrote:
Feb 9th, 2018 12:46 am
After 3 years of university while dealing with severe mental health issues and currently recovering, I have been asked to withdraw from university. I am planning to go to Conestoga College and take a business diploma program for a year, keep up good grades and transfer into the University of Toronto for International Relations since the program does not require any specific prerequisites in first year. Do you guys think it would be possible? If I kept up good grades, will they mainly base their consideration on my college grades and not the mess I made in my three years of university?

Advice would be greatly appreciated! Thank you!
When you apply, they'll ask for your transcripts from all your post secondary programs. I don't know how competitive the program is but I suggest you attach a letter somewhere in your application explaining the situation, and what steps you took to ensure your recovery. I wouldn't suggest applying until you have final (not interim) grades from college - which might delay things a little but you'll want *solid* grades from college going in. I doubt it will be easy though.
Piro21 wrote:
Apr 28th, 2018 8:30 pm
"Hey guys, I've never encountered the problem of being shut out of every HR department because I don't have a degree, so let me tell you why you I'm an expert on a problem I've never experienced! Next I, a male, will lecture you on why nobody should ever worry about ovarian cancer!"

If you don't have a degree you're shut out of most higher-level corporate office jobs right off the bat. Your resume won't even be considered by HR departments as you won't pass their filters. I've worked my way up to a senior Business Analyst role without a degree, so I know from experience. Most of the people here criticizing me either work in blue collar fields, are in very junior corporate roles, or (like this guy above) have no idea what they're talking about because they have post-secondary credentials and have never faced this problem.

OP, you're going for corporate office jobs. I'm telling you from experience that you will face a hard ceiling and an uphill road changing employers without that piece of paper. Every interview I've had in the last 5 years, even internally at my own employer, has made it clear they've limited the role to applicants with a degree. Yes, it makes no sense, but that is how it is. HR departments in Toronto have tons of applicants to choose from, so they can be as illogical as they want. When you're applying for a senior level role and facing off against all your coworkers with similar work experience and capabilities as well as outsiders, you need every edge you can because the company will be looking for reasons to narrow the field to the candidate that looks best on paper. If you're applying for a management role where the people you're managing will have degrees it will come up even though you may have earned it decades ago.

Take some time off and work to clear your head for now, but make sure you go back and get it while you're young so you won't have to get it later when it becomes important.
Its field dependent. I've been working for 20 years, working on my third degree, so its important enough for me to pursue to switch fields, but college diplomas now aren't what they used to be and employers see the value of them (not to mention much stronger university-college partnership programs now more than ever). Fast forward another 15 years or so, it will be a different landscape - where the credential will (and should) mean less than the skill-set and knowledge mobility of the applicant. There are certainly some forward thinking employers out there now in some fields but this is a shift on the horizon.
Sep 23, 2010
122 posts
61 upvotes
T Dot
I think this uni degree vs college diploma is a little blown out of proportion in this discussion. I post/hire quite a bit and the purpose, for us at least, behind having a diploma or degree requirement is the education. Of course relevancy is very important but when we filter out people with/out diplomas and degrees it tells us the person has had enough follow through to finish their post-secondary education. It's just one piece of the picture when hiring.
Deal Expert
Apr 21, 2004
44892 posts
11567 upvotes
Hope the OP will do fine.

Seems he posted once and didn't come back.