Students

Getting Kicked out of University (university > college > university?)

• Last Updated:
  • Feb 17th, 2018 8:53 pm
[OP]
Feb 8, 2018
1 posts

Getting Kicked out of University (university > college > university?)

After 3 years of university while dealing with severe mental health issues and currently recovering, I have been asked to withdraw from university. I am planning to go to Conestoga College and take a business diploma program for a year, keep up good grades and transfer into the University of Toronto for International Relations since the program does not require any specific prerequisites in first year. Do you guys think it would be possible? If I kept up good grades, will they mainly base their consideration on my college grades and not the mess I made in my three years of university?

Advice would be greatly appreciated! Thank you!
8 replies
Jul 13, 2016
172 posts
59 upvotes
Admissions to any university that don't come from the same place as 95% of other students - that is directly from high school or directly from the completion of a different program - will face additional scrutiny.

They will expect to see some type of evidence that you will be more successful in their program than in your other 3 years of university.

How will you provide that evidence?
Deal Addict
Dec 3, 2004
4562 posts
2394 upvotes
Vancouver
Do you just want a degree from UofT, don't care what it is in? The way you phrase it, it sounds like that's the case. What are you going to do with a Bachelor's degree in International Relations?
Deal Guru
Nov 15, 2004
14503 posts
1663 upvotes
Toronto
adamtheman wrote:
Feb 10th, 2018 11:11 pm
Do you just want a degree from UofT, don't care what it is in? The way you phrase it, it sounds like that's the case. What are you going to do with a Bachelor's degree in International Relations?
A degree opens many doors and many career paths you'd be completely shut out of without one. If you want to get past an HR filter or an immigration program a university degree in interpretive dance or underwater basket weaving will take you much farther than literally anything you can study at a college.
Could HAVE, not could OF. What does 'could of' even mean?
Dec 15, 2015
229 posts
105 upvotes
Toronto
Piro21 wrote:
Feb 10th, 2018 11:21 pm
A degree opens many doors and many career paths you'd be completely shut out of without one. If you want to get past an HR filter or an immigration program a university degree in interpretive dance or underwater basket weaving will take you much farther than literally anything you can study at a college.
LMAO this is so wrong, and its scary that people still believe this is true. As a university and college grad. My college diploma has taken much much much further than my university degree. Its to the point I don't even mention I went to University anymore. This isn't the 90s anymore. Each has it purpose and depending on your career path, one may be better than the other. I'm in the engineering world with a college diploma and I'm hiring P.Eng's for my team.
Deal Guru
Nov 15, 2004
14503 posts
1663 upvotes
Toronto
TheMaterial wrote:
Feb 14th, 2018 3:54 pm
LMAO this is so wrong, and its scary that people still believe this is true. As a university and college grad. My college diploma has taken much much much further than my university degree. Its to the point I don't even mention I went to University anymore. This isn't the 90s anymore. Each has it purpose and depending on your career path, one may be better than the other. I'm in the engineering world with a college diploma and I'm hiring P.Eng's for my team.
Apply for a job in the US without a degree and let me know how far you get past their immigration system. My company automatically filters out those without a degree for most of our higher end entry level roles, and I know many other companies here do as well. Like it or not, a whole lot of people favor degrees to an insane extent, and won't hold give diplomas the same level of respect.
Could HAVE, not could OF. What does 'could of' even mean?
Jan 8, 2010
102 posts
22 upvotes
Piro21 wrote:
Feb 14th, 2018 4:39 pm
Apply for a job in the US without a degree and let me know how far you get past their immigration system. My company automatically filters out those without a degree for most of our higher end entry level roles, and I know many other companies here do as well. Like it or not, a whole lot of people favor degrees to an insane extent, and won't hold give diplomas the same level of respect.
This is primarily a Canadian forum, so we don't typically talk about international employers.
Dec 15, 2015
229 posts
105 upvotes
Toronto
Piro21 wrote:
Feb 14th, 2018 4:39 pm
Why would I apply for a job in the US? Lots of work for here. You said a university degree will take your further than a college diploma. That's false. Elon Musk has a great interview where he him self says a degree isn't all its cut out to be. You spewing about what your company and respect levels is fine and dandy but it means nothing to prove the point. When was the last time you saw cabinet maker in university? Lots of people with their C.E.T's are running companies and have teams of engineers working for them. That college grad sure seems like he's a lot further along than those university grads working for them.

Again the thinking is changing, your industry may be degree driven, doesn't mean they all are. For example if you were hiring a computer programmer and were to filter out degree's you'll miss out on some the brightest individuals out there.

As said earlier...Each has it purpose and depending on your career path, one may be better than the other.
Aug 7, 2015
34 posts
4 upvotes
East York, ON
Honestly, do the diploma program for a year and see where you stand. If you feel like the program you were in was not right for you, go back to University a year later and do another program that suits your abilities. I can relate to this as I am in a year suspension from University myself and doing a 2 year General Arts and Science program at Seneca. I discovered that I am not good at the major I was originally doing and now planning to go into a new one when I go back this summer. College is not a walk in the park as you think it is. I'm not doing as great as I expected to be but still better than University for me with the wrong major I was in for 2 years.