• Last Updated:
  • Jan 14th, 2018 1:30 pm
Tags:
[OP]
Nov 1, 2013
222 posts
25 upvotes

Getting lots of dsl disconnections in cold weather

I have a 30 year old house that had some line or dust issues in the past. The dsl connection breaks 2/3 times during the day. However I have noticed that the frequency of dsl disconnections increases significantly during extremely cold weather. The recent arctic freeze occasionally resulted in internet being un-useable at times. I have tried different modem with same results.
Not sure if it will be possible to connect directly to telephone company's socket to take out the copper lines out of equation.
Has anyone dealt with a situation like this and have any suggestions to find out if the problem is with copper lines or phone sockets?
10 replies
Deal Addict
Dec 1, 2010
1302 posts
553 upvotes
GTA
Depends who your DSL provider is. If its BELL you can call them and get the lines serviced in your house, free of charge. If its a 3rd party provider BELL is only responsible for issues that relate from the DEMARC (box outside your house) leading to the lan, they can rule out any issues there.

Any issues with wiring inside your house and its a 3rd party provider, I think the charge is $99 no matter what for a BELL technician to come by and service the lines for you, unless you want to do a lot of troubleshooting yourself. Too many variables when it comes to DSL.

Could be inside wiring, could be outside wiring running to the node. You would need more to prove more details but yea, a lot of work is involved.
Jun 21, 2008
285 posts
55 upvotes
mississauga
I too have a house that was built in '71, had dsl and too many issues with disconnects in rainy weather. Was with sympatico and when they raised prices went with teksavvy cable and now with cannet cable. Have never looked back
Deal Addict
Sep 29, 2005
2722 posts
241 upvotes
Pickering
Had that issue years ago when I was still on DSL on an older house, had a technician over a few times and they couldn't fix it, I fixed it myself by reconnecting the line from the box, there was water getting in and shorting it out ;).
Wise men speak because they have something to say, Fools because they have to say something.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 12, 2005
8115 posts
960 upvotes
Victoria
The last time I had issues with line quality during cold and/or rainy weather, it ended up being the line outside my apartment building. It was old and worn. It had cracks which exposed it to the weather. Telus replaced it and my line quality issues went away.
Deal Addict
Dec 1, 2010
1302 posts
553 upvotes
GTA
zod wrote:
Jan 13th, 2018 9:55 am
The last time I had issues with line quality during cold and/or rainy weather, it ended up being the line outside my apartment building. It was old and worn. It had cracks which exposed it to the weather. Telus replaced it and my line quality issues went away.
^
Like you said, unless OP provides more details its hard to say. DSL is more stable in the winter months then in the summer months because in winter everything is frozen, should be no problems unless you have an outdoor exposed line that is causing issues. Summer time is the worst. High temps are worse for DSL sync and troubleshooting them, then in the dead of winter. It's either outside line issues or in home wiring if its dead winter. If you read up on any DSL forum, winter always has better sync then summer. Wiring and age of the home play a factor too.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 12, 2005
8115 posts
960 upvotes
Victoria
heyyahblah wrote:
Jan 13th, 2018 6:26 pm
^
Like you said, unless OP provides more details its hard to say. DSL is more stable in the winter months then in the summer months because in winter everything is frozen, should be no problems unless you have an outdoor exposed line that is causing issues. Summer time is the worst. High temps are worse for DSL sync and troubleshooting them, then in the dead of winter. It's either outside line issues or in home wiring if its dead winter. If you read up on any DSL forum, winter always has better sync then summer. Wiring and age of the home play a factor too.
Definitely. I started seeing the issues in the winter with some line loss, but it was the summer thunderstorms that showed how bad the line really was. Every time it rained, you could pick up the landline and here nothing but static. You know you have issues when you can hear it on the phone :)
[OP]
Nov 1, 2013
222 posts
25 upvotes
Thanks everyone for replying. I am certain that something is not right but cant say with certainty yet if the issue is with the lines in home or outside. Last time a bell technician came to check the issue was 2/3 years ago when i was with acanac. He said that the problem seemed to be dust in phone jacks and one line out of two was shorting sometimes. The 2nd line worked with an occasional break up till this year but problem has worsened since extremely cold weather descended.
The question is - Is there a way for me to be able to do some troubleshooting to isolate the issue before involving the bell technician.
Is there any way for me to connect a cable directly to Bell demarc point outside the house to check the line quality? Or do I need to involve Bell?
Deal Addict
Jul 3, 2017
2863 posts
1925 upvotes
I had this problem twice in the earlier years of DSL with Telus. Both times it was in winter, and both times it was the outside line that was at fault - once at the demarc box connection on the side of the house, once at the end where the line connects to the pole. The problem was simply a connection that was a little bit loose or corroded. With the wide temperature cycles between day and night, it would get condensation in the connection in the early morning hours, resulting in gradually worsening dsl performance and eventually audible cracking on the voice line. Usually things would get better again as the day warmed up, and I could help it out by leaving my phone off-hook for a while to allow current to run through the connection and warm it up.

Both times Telus tested the line from their end at some random time during the day and said they could not see any problem. They said they would send a tech out to look at it "in a few weeks". In those days they had inadequate experience and test tools to diagnose dsl problems. The only way to get them to come out and repair the line promptly was to report crackling noises interfering with your voice calls. Then they had to respond within 48 hours (legacy regulations). The first time the problem was up on the pole, but the 2nd time I knew where to look and I was able to fix it myself at the outside demarc. In later years Telus replaced both the pole connection and the demarc on the house with newer types redesigned to resist this type of problem, and I never saw it happen again.

So practical advice: find the phone jack on the house side of your demarc box and test the line there to eliminate lines in your house. But it's very unlikely that the type of problem you describe is there, and the advice you received from the tech who blamed your old phone jacks is probably wrong. But you do need to eliminate the house. Then you know that the problem is on Bell's side, so you call them up and report that your voice phone line is crackling with interference.
[OP]
Nov 1, 2013
222 posts
25 upvotes
Exp315 wrote:
Jan 14th, 2018 9:34 am
So practical advice: find the phone jack on the house side of your demarc box and test the line there to eliminate lines in your house.
Thanks a lot for taking time to post your experience and for the advice to test. I will try to do a test at the demarc point as soon as possible and post the results.
Deal Addict
Jul 30, 2003
1634 posts
79 upvotes
Toronto
Yes, I had experience this myself. First time, a bell technician identified the line from the box outside to my house was bad, so they replace it. Second time, another bell technician identified the line from basement to the first floor is bad, so they move the modem to the basement. Either way you need a tech to come and check.