Travel

Getting money abroad, is Chase Amazon still best option?

• Last Updated:
  • Aug 13th, 2017 10:06 am
Deal Addict
Jun 29, 2010
1290 posts
476 upvotes
glover78 wrote: Good timing of this thread.

I'll be in New York this weekend so would anyone be able to advise me if it's better to withdraw money from a TD bank using my TD debit card or should I use my Chase Amazon card to withdraw cash?
I used my Chase Amazon in NY and PA on the long weekend and had zero issues with it. Exchange rate was ~1.27 whereas getting cash from a CDN bank was ~1.29 - not that much difference.
$300 cash advance + $5 fee = $305. $300 cash in pocket + $6 with 2¢ exchange premium = $306.
The card is much more convenient at the gas stations so you don't have to go in and prepay.

I also used that card in Italy for a cash advance and then went into my banking app and paid it that same day - did not get an interest charge.
Banned
Jul 17, 2008
11042 posts
3878 upvotes
Any way to figure out which ATM charge their own fees on top to avoid? Do they usually tell you before withdrawal if they do? Currently in Greece if that helps. They only have alpha bank where I'm at

Also, does chase Amazon needs to be prepaid to the day when the cash advance is posted or does it need to be prepaid for the entire billing cycle when cash advance was used?
Banned
Jul 17, 2008
11042 posts
3878 upvotes
Messerschmitt wrote:
Also, does chase Amazon needs to be prepaid to the day when the cash advance is posted or does it need to be prepaid for the entire billing cycle when cash advance was used?
Anyone?
Sep 22, 2005
957 posts
310 upvotes
BC
My understanding is when the cash advance is posted you have to have prepaid amount in your account to avoid interests charges.

The cash advance in my case was posted 3 days later, though authorization was instant. The good news is Chase updates payment fairly fast. So if you prepay the card from Td say today, the payment shows up tomorrow. The exchange rates are very good; cad/euro, and you only pay 1% cash advance fees, 5$ min per transaction.
Deal Fanatic
Feb 19, 2010
6237 posts
2992 upvotes
Messerschmitt wrote: Any way to figure out which ATM charge their own fees on top to avoid? Do they usually tell you before withdrawal if they do? Currently in Greece if that helps. They only have alpha bank where I'm at

As long as you don't have a debit balance after the cash advance posts there should be no interest charges.

No, you don't have to maintain a credit balance through the entirety of the billing cycle. IOW, AFTER the cash advance posts, and assuming you still have a credit balance at the end of that day, you can use up the credit balance by putting through credit card charges for purchases.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)