Travel

Getting my Passport and wondering who can be a Guarantor?

• Last Updated:
  • Sep 17th, 2014 4:41 pm
Tags:
None
Deal Addict
May 19, 2004
1202 posts
139 upvotes
Burnaby
wonder when this all changed, just noticed when i was googling to see who could sign.....bonus, can get hubby to sign for our son's, since i'm the applicant. no more hassle of trying to find someone! surprised it hasn't been advertised much!
Deal Addict
Dec 21, 2004
2095 posts
88 upvotes
qster wrote:
Feb 5th, 2008 4:36 pm
It can be anyone who currently is a Canadian Citizen (with a passport) and you have known them personally for at least 2 years. This person no longer has to be a Lawyer, Doctor, Professional or a Clergy... it can be your sibling, parents or a long time friend.
Correct

I got my passport in October and had my mom sign for it.
Deal Addict
Sep 19, 2005
2834 posts
38 upvotes
Had our passports done 3wks ago,,,, took about 10min ,, as it was not busy in Hamilton that day. I was guarantor for my wife's application. Picked them up two wks later,,,, again in and out 5 min with new passports,,, all went smooth without a problem or delay. ;)
Deal Fanatic
Dec 11, 2005
5049 posts
240 upvotes
qster wrote:
Feb 5th, 2008 4:36 pm
It can be anyone who currently is a Canadian Citizen (with a passport) and you have known them personally for at least 2 years. This person no longer has to be a Lawyer, Doctor, Professional or a Clergy... it can be your sibling, parents or a long time friend.
Can it be your spouse? This is for my new passport application.

nm...fireguy answered my Q. My wife just renewed her PP...so she can be my guarantor :)
Achieva Financial / Tangerine / ZenBanx member

Best deal scored: Public Mobile $40/4GB/Fall Promo offer!
May 17, 2007
387 posts
11 upvotes
I was just looking for this info, helpful to know

But as convenient as it is, am I the only one who thinks it should be just a bit more difficult to get a passport?
Deal Addict
Nov 5, 2005
3072 posts
96 upvotes
Mississauga
jericho129 wrote:
May 19th, 2008 11:40 am
I was just looking for this info, helpful to know

But as convenient as it is, am I the only one who thinks it should be just a bit more difficult to get a passport?
I'm sure they are trying to process the passports faster than before since you need a valid passport to travel into the US by air (for a couple of years now) and correct me if I'm wrong, you will need a Canadian passport to travel to the US on land in June 2009. Now people have told me you need a Canadian passport for validation to cross by land into the US now but looking at the US Customs and Boarder Patrol, it did mention June 2009. Seeing how the restrictions have changed since 9/11, the Canadian government has so much passports to validate and are swamped. I'm sure the new requirements aren't a security risk but just makes it easier for the applicant to receive it sooner rather than later. Speaking of which, I got to get my passport done before the new laws kick in. But before, traveling by land has never given me any trouble without a passport - I just show them my birth certificate/driver's license and I was on my way.
Deal Addict
May 10, 2006
1715 posts
4 upvotes
Yeah I was surprised how easy it was. Got my Dads friend to sign mine. Mailed it in and 3 weeks later I got the passport in the mail.
Deal Addict
Feb 22, 2013
2021 posts
164 upvotes
Ottawa, ON
Bumping this with the recent changes to the passport pricing, processing, and guarantors.

Can a spouse act as a guarantor?
Deal Addict
May 9, 2009
4862 posts
771 upvotes
CWatson87 wrote:
Jan 17th, 2014 11:07 am
Bumping this with the recent changes to the passport pricing, processing, and guarantors.

Can a spouse act as a guarantor?
Here are the official requirements: http://www.ppt.gc.ca/info/section2.aspx ... ion=Canada

Renewal is slightly different as it requires two references rather than a guarantor. The references cannot be family members. This includes a boyfriend/girlfriend (at least in Quebec).
Dec 30, 1969
1 posts
Mississauga, ON
psyko514 wrote:
Jan 17th, 2014 11:23 am
Here are the official requirements: http://www.ppt.gc.ca/info/section2.aspx ... ion=Canada

Renewal is slightly different as it requires two references rather than a guarantor. The references cannot be family members. This includes a boyfriend/girlfriend (at least in Quebec).
I know in Ontario you need both a guarantor (can be your spouse) and 2 references (non-family or spouse).
× < >