Getting a new car (M5/RS5/CTS-V/XFR)

• Last Updated:
  • Jul 31st, 2012 10:22 am
Tags:
None
Jan 2, 2012
10 posts

Getting a new car (M5/RS5/CTS-V/XFR)

I've got several options for a new car (sports sedan or coupe), but the only one I've driven so far is the BMW M5. Other options I'm considering are: Audi RS5, Cadillac CTS-V Coupe, Jaguar XFR. I'm looking at the latest models for each. I really like the look of the new CTS-V Coupe, but I'm leaning more towards the M5 at the moment. Any thoughts? I'll be financing the car, and though I don't have a budget, a better price/performance ratio is always a good thing.

Feel free to suggest other options. Anything apart from Lexus IS (Toyota garbage) or 3-series/C-class (common, boring, c-lai choice of the year).
61 replies
Deal Addict
Jul 1, 2007
2594 posts
99 upvotes
Financing the car? As in you will keep it AFTER the warranty expires? Well, if you're baller enough to afford those cars I suppose you'd be baller enough to fork over the maintenance. If it was a lease, I'd hands down get the M5 (for obvious reasons.) If you're financing, I'd get the RS5.

I don't like the looks of the Jaguar or Cady you mentioned. I wouldn't even consider them.. to me those cars target a different kind of consumer (i.e. the older gentleman.)
Deal Fanatic
Oct 22, 2007
6110 posts
1117 upvotes
Mississauga
The looks of the cars you have suggested are wide spread so I'll assume you're main concern is performance. Are you looking for straight line or all around handling performance. Having a budget in mind is important and I'll assume you've checked to ensure you'll have no problems with the high finance of a new 2012/13 CTS-V for eg.?
Sniper001 wrote: I don't like the looks of the Jaguar or Cady you mentioned. I wouldn't even consider them.. to me those cars target a different kind of consumer (i.e. the older gentleman.)
I'm not sure what age group you would consider "older gentlemen", but I rarely see 60's on people driving 600+ hp high performance cars. I tend to see the 30-60 age group in the truly high performance, high price point segment.
Jan 2, 2012
10 posts
Sniper001, that might have been true about 10-20 years ago, but both Jaguar and Cadillac are working to turn that around. The XFR and CTS-V coupe sure don't like they're being targeted towards an older age group, but I don't know how well they hold up against the M5 and RS5.

Also I'm not leasing because I intend to keep the car for as long as I can.
Maymybonneliveforever wrote: Having a budget in mind is important and I'll assume you've checked to ensure you'll have no problems with the high finance of a new 2012/13 CTS-V for eg.?
Yeah, I've checked the financing details for all the cars listed in my original post.

I've never heard of the G37 IPL before. Looks really good.
Deal Addict
Jul 1, 2007
2594 posts
99 upvotes
Maymybonneliveforever wrote: The looks of the cars you have suggested are wide spread so I'll assume you're main concern is performance. Are you looking for straight line or all around handling performance. Having a budget in mind is important and I'll assume you've checked to ensure you'll have no problems with the high finance of a new 2012/13 CTS-V for eg.?I'm not sure what age group you would consider "older gentlemen", but I rarely see 60's on people driving 600+ hp high performance cars. I tend to see the 30-60 age group in the truly high performance, high price point segment.
Sorry, I should have clarified. When I say older gentlemen I mean 35+. As opposed to 20-35. I.e. People with families. I would have said seniors if I was referring to people over the age of 60. Again, this is just my opinion based on what I have seen.
Jun 21, 2009
974 posts
448 upvotes
EST
I think all the RS5s have been sold out?
Deal Addict
Jun 23, 2005
2253 posts
270 upvotes
If you're factoring price/performance ratio you can't beat the V. A loaded V Coupe is about $84k and it blows away the RS5 & XFR and is about neck and neck with the new M5. The Magnetic Ride Control suspension is phenomenal. Drive a stretch of road and switch between Touring and Sport mode; you'll really notice the difference. The suspension reacts so quickly that in Touring you don't feel most of the bumps. In Sport you can corner as hard as you want and have pretty much zero bodyroll.

Plenty of power to put a smile on your face, only 4hp short of the new M5.

Go drive one.
2016 Cadillac ATS-V, 2004 Cadillac CTS-V, 2009 Cadillac CTS 3.6 Premium, 2004 Cadillac CTS 3.6, 2016 Camaro SS, 2007 Cadillac SRX, 2015 Z06
Banned
Mar 23, 2012
773 posts
32 upvotes
Toronto
LOL...

What a great thread - before purchasing my BRZ I was looking at these cars for the lolz (no way I could afford ANY of them... 20 yr old full time student paying tuition... sigh -_-).

All of them are VERY nice cars, but at the end of the day I would go with either the audi or the M5. Don't get me wrong, the CTS is a nice car, but if you can afford the M5... go with it.

BTW... if you don't mind me asking: Age + income?
Jan 2, 2012
10 posts
Heero01, 23 and 80k/year. I don't really have many other expenses at the moment, so I'm hoping I can afford these. :x

Jon04CTS suggested that the CTS-V Coupe would be the best in terms of price/performance, so I'm kind of torn between that and the M5 right now. I drove a friend's M5 once and I loved it. I'll test drive the CTS-V and see how it compares.

I looked at the BRZ as well. It's an awesome car, but I wanted something a little bigger.
Deal Addict
Apr 10, 2012
1823 posts
77 upvotes
Toronto
coriolis wrote: G37 ipl?
G37 imo is a horrible driver's car. Because of its weight, and mellow anti roll and spring rate it bobbles around corners.

IPL makes very little difference :/

most of the cars op want is 4 door. So I assume there are passenger obligations for Op to fullfill.

imo than, the Porsche Panamera GTS or S or the awd variants would make a good car for the op.

And out of all the options op provided. I would go with.

1. non 1st yr M5
2. Cadillac
Nov 23, 2008
183 posts
11 upvotes
Heero01 wrote: LOL...

What a great thread - before purchasing my BRZ I was looking at these cars for the lolz (no way I could afford ANY of them... 20 yr old full time student paying tuition... sigh -_-).

All of them are VERY nice cars, but at the end of the day I would go with either the audi or the M5. Don't get me wrong, the CTS is a nice car, but if you can afford the M5... go with it.

BTW... if you don't mind me asking: Age + income?
plz tell me how you can afford a 32k car as a "student" paying tuition

ready............ go.
May 29, 2012
743 posts
40 upvotes
MAPLE RIDGE
q1w2e3 wrote: plz tell me how you can afford a 32k car as a "student" paying tuition
ready............ go.
You'd be surprised. A fellow student in my Multivariable Calculus class was driving a 2007 335i.

Most likely it's either
a) Parents help pay a portion
b) Student loan w/ some parent assistance
c) You saved up for a long time but will be graduating from university/college late because of it
d) Drug dealer on the side
Mar 4, 2006
135 posts
11 upvotes
Vancouver
You might also want to consider the S6, E63 AMG or a Porsche Panamera if you're considering 4 doors. If you want a two door, how about the M6 or a 911?
Deal Expert
Jul 30, 2007
33236 posts
21164 upvotes
Toronto
Porsche 911 (if it's within your budget).

Not sure where OP is located, but if you are from GTA, you can PM me and I will tell you where you can get a deal done.
Deal Expert
Feb 26, 2004
26998 posts
4337 upvotes
q1w2e3 wrote: plz tell me how you can afford a 32k car as a "student" paying tuition

ready............ go.
$32K is FR-S pricing. The BRZ is closer to $36K fully loaded.
Jan 2, 2012
10 posts
booblehead wrote: Porsche 911 (if it's within your budget).

Not sure where OP is located, but if you are from GTA, you can PM me and I will tell you where you can get a deal done.
Yeah I'm in the GTA. Somehow I forgot about the 911 even though I've always loved that car. PM sent.
Deal Guru
Mar 1, 2004
12861 posts
1485 upvotes
Pickering
I don't really want to say it, but because your car choices are all over the map, you don't really sound like you are an enthusiast. Most of us know with a given budget what we would get immediately and you don't seem to have a clue. With your last comment in the original post, I would think that you are out to impress people other than yourself.

The only reason why I mention this is so that if this is the case, don't financially burden yourself to impress others. If you like something and can afford it with the money that is left over from your RRSP contributions, your non RRSP contributions, your personal savings, your investments, and the cash you keep on hand for just in case moments, by all means go ahead. Drive them and don't let anybody else tell you what to get in terms of performance, but do a lot of checking into reliability/cost.

I had a used car that had a 6K brake booster that liked to malfunction. I sold it within a year of finding that out and a year later the part went. Lucky I heard the issue from a mechanic friend.
Deal Addict
Apr 10, 2012
1823 posts
77 upvotes
Toronto
AudiDude wrote: I don't really want to say it, but because your car choices are all over the map, you don't really sound like you are an enthusiast. Most of us know with a given budget what we would get immediately and you don't seem to have a clue. With your last comment in the original post, I would think that you are out to impress people other than yourself.

The only reason why I mention this is so that if this is the case, don't financially burden yourself to impress others. If you like something and can afford it with the money that is left over from your RRSP contributions, your non RRSP contributions, your personal savings, your investments, and the cash you keep on hand for just in case moments, by all means go ahead. Drive them and don't let anybody else tell you what to get in terms of performance, but do a lot of checking into reliability/cost.

I had a used car that had a 6K brake booster that liked to malfunction. I sold it within a year of finding that out and a year later the part went. Lucky I heard the issue from a mechanic friend.
harsh but +1

to get pussay r8 or motorcycle would be the best

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)