• Aug 22nd, 2014 5:35 pm
Tags:
None
May 6, 2006
138 posts
15 upvotes

Getting parking ticket in Quebec for Ontario license plate

Hi,

I got ticketed in Montreal (surprise surprise... thanks alot to the french only signs now :@) for $52!... i was wondering, if i dont pay the fine, does it get transferred to Ontario and cause trouble when renewing registration for the car?

thanks
15 replies
Deal Fanatic
Oct 23, 2003
8451 posts
1996 upvotes
french only? im pretty sure the P for parking resembles the english version, and the circle with red on it and a cross bar going in the middle looks the same. other than that i had no idea they had french only signs.

as for the ticket, i think its put on your car's registry thingy they have, not on their provincial system. Best bet is, yes it would mess you up.

That said, why not fight it? ;)
Aug 10, 2008
977 posts
88 upvotes
Pay it because if you ignore it, in about 3 months, they will send you a reminder plus a late administration fee of $30 extra and it keeps escalating that way
Deal Addict
Oct 26, 2007
1666 posts
213 upvotes
Toronto
Parking tickets aren't transferred between provinces.
May 6, 2006
138 posts
15 upvotes
Broli's Mom wrote: Parking tickets aren't transferred between provinces.
sure??? I heard it somewhere but couldnt find any source to verify... plz tell
Deal Addict
Oct 26, 2007
1666 posts
213 upvotes
Toronto
Traffic offenses/moving violations are shared between the provinces, but parking tickets (non-moving violations) are not.
Nov 18, 2007
558 posts
4 upvotes
Moncton
...and if you don't pay up...it will be sent to collections and you'll be harassed by some low-life for years to come. Sad to think that you couldn't figure out a French parking sign.... :rolleyes:
Deal Expert
Jun 14, 2003
23140 posts
202 upvotes
I don't know if this is still true. In my experience, a parking ticket became a warrant after a few letters (each letter increased the fine a bit), one police visit (and I said I was not home). Eventually, I was arrested twice when I was driving. Send to the jail cell within the police station once. Mind you that I had much more than one outstanding parking ticket.

If you will not go back to Quebec, you are probably okay.

Since our police force is now under staff, this may not happen anymore.
Too many people spend money they haven't earned to buy things they don't want, to impress people they don't like. -- Will Smith
Growing older is mandatory. Growing up is optional.
Stay hungry, stay foolish.
Jan 6, 2007
310 posts
20 upvotes
don't be so hard on OP, in Montreal, even french people from out-of town have a hard time figuring out the different No parking signs. Sometimes you even have 4 different signs on the same pole.
Deal Addict
Jan 22, 2004
3171 posts
47 upvotes
Toronto
Buggy166 wrote: french only? im pretty sure the P for parking resembles the english version, and the circle with red on it and a cross bar going in the middle looks the same. other than that i had no idea they had french only signs.
Some signs may have tricky conditions like between April 1st - Oct 31 or Mon-Fri or odd or even days of the month. There may be multiple signs at the same spots which can make the condition really tricky. And if the signs are all in French....

Collection agencies get a percentage of the defaulted amount. For $52 I don't think they will spend too much effort collecting it.
Feb 6, 2009
217 posts
47 upvotes
I'll save you some bucks and time and make it easy on you. Pay the ticket.

Explanation: While Quebec cannot do anything to you in Ontario over the ticket and cannot levy it on your Ontario plate like the government does for the private corporation that runs the 407 or the city of Toronto putting their tickets on your plate, Quebec will continue to increase the amounts until it hits a certain threshold. Once you max it out not only is your right to drive in Quebec revoked (supposedly) but you have a warrant out for your arrest.

Now here's the catch..

Ontario and Quebec honour each other's arrest warrants.

Do you really want to deal with that?
May 2, 2008
290 posts
62 upvotes
Here's exactly what will happen if you don't pay it:

1. Default judgment: Add $53 to bill, now $105.
2. Suspension of driving rights in the province of Quebec: Add $64.90 to bill, now $169.90.
3. Out-of-province case, so sent to private collections agency, who will harass you by phone and in person, and add the debt to your credit report.
4. If you still don't pay it and come back to Quebec, if you get stopped while driving the car you are driving will be impounded for 30 days (whether you own it or not - cost: approx. $600 to $900 for the month), and you will receive a $438 fine.
5. If you don't ever set foot in Quebec again, eventually you may not be able to renew your Ontario license: no agreement of this sort has yet been put in place between Quebec and Ontario, however one already exists between Quebec and Alberta (which allows Quebec to nail all it's home-grown losers who flee to the oil-sands leaving their debts behind!) and the provinces are negotiating, so expect one to happen one day.

Your decision, of course. My advice? Deal with it.
Banned
May 5, 2005
13286 posts
13 upvotes
Toronto, Canada
Buggy166 wrote: french only? im pretty sure the P for parking resembles the english version, and the circle with red on it and a cross bar going in the middle looks the same. other than that i had no idea they had french only signs.

as for the ticket, i think its put on your car's registry thingy they have, not on their provincial system. Best bet is, yes it would mess you up.

That said, why not fight it? ;)
You have to go to Quebec to fight it! I think someone I know had one and never returned but his record remains blemish free even though the offense in Quebec defaulted against him for not paying.
Joe Zawinul
1932 - 2007
Deal Expert
Dec 19, 2001
31347 posts
2025 upvotes
Fernando Poo
Easily solution. Don't ever step foot in Quebec and no ticket and no fine. :D

(Not for the OP of course, he made the first mistake).
Welcome to the Minitrue FDs, Ficdep
Deal Addict
Jul 26, 2009
1829 posts
103 upvotes
Toronto
Just pay it and be done with it. You can't put a price on peace of mind.
Aug 21, 2014
2 posts
Toronto, ON
how about parking ticket on NY plate car, I am not dying to pay it (pls people with morals do not reply and try to be smart and preach) what should \I expect when next year \I have to renew plates? I am not setting a foot soon in mtl so no worries about towing etc.