Getting QC Plan and Number on Koodo in Toronto

• Last Updated:
  • Dec 6th, 2017 9:47 pm
Feb 21, 2017
25 posts
1 upvote
titaniumtux wrote:
Oct 18th, 2017 3:14 pm
BestBuy will activate a QC number for you.

But since you're going BYOD, it doesn't really matter. Since you can:
  1. Activate with a local number at any dealer. Go on cheapest plan unless there's a promo you want on a bigger plan (overseas calling allowance, bonus data allowance) in order for it to carry over to the equivalent QC plan
  2. Hop online (doesn't have to be at home, can even be in the dealer store using their wifi), switch to a QC number
  3. Change the plan right away (max once per billing cycle, can be done before your first bill)
  4. Port in your GTA number after the fact and keep the QC plan
Lolz at anyone who downvotes this post.
Best Buy in Ancaster wouldn’t give me a QC number. Dude started the process, and I told him I was fine with an Ontario plan, but just needed the QC number. Midway through the setup, he had to ask his manager something, and manager said without a Quebec ID, they wouldn’t give me a QC number.

I’ll have to try a different mobile place I guess, but I was quite discouraged, as this thread led me to believe that Best Buy was a slam dunk.
May 8, 2009
2246 posts
710 upvotes
45.420833°N, 75.69°W
Looks like in GTA, it's a huge YMMV. In Ottawa, both BestBuy and Wal-Mart still hand out QC #'s on Koodo like a hot burger on a bun. My buddy (who reads RFD forum) got a Galaxy S7 at Walmart and wanted to do a day 2 cancellation, they still gave him (with Ontario ID) a QC # with the device on tab medium. Now he's trying to switch to an AB # to drop the sales tax on his buy-out.
Motorola phone. Linux on 2xcomputers. Brew beer & wine @home.
Home service reseller internet + FPL + antenna with streaming on smart TV
Wireless 1 line w/ Virgin on QC plan, few lines w/ Koodo to get phones, couple FreedomPop SIM's for roaming
Banned
Aug 22, 2017
367 posts
154 upvotes
titaniumtux wrote:
Nov 26th, 2017 8:32 pm
Looks like in GTA, it's a huge YMMV. In Ottawa, both BestBuy and Wal-Mart still hand out QC #'s on Koodo like a hot burger on a bun. My buddy (who reads RFD forum) got a Galaxy S7 at Walmart and wanted to do a day 2 cancellation, they still gave him (with Ontario ID) a QC # with the device on tab medium. Now he's trying to switch to an AB # to drop the sales tax on his buy-out.
They usually give out QC numbers on new activation's in Ottawa because it's closer to Montreal and they suspect you actually live there.
Oct 5, 2008
76 posts
9 upvotes
Brampton
On the Koodo website, it says that the 2GB bonus data is going to expire today, Nov 27. How fast can I change the ON number to a QC number and select the QC 5+1+2 GB plan? Will it take more than a day, planning to get the line setup right now. TIA
Nov 22, 2017
4 posts
1 upvote
jasman123 wrote:
Nov 27th, 2017 4:37 pm
On the Koodo website, it says that the 2GB bonus data is going to expire today, Nov 27. How fast can I change the ON number to a QC number and select the QC 5+1+2 GB plan? Will it take more than a day, planning to get the line setup right now. TIA
I think you're beat, unless you can get QC# and plan in store TODAY. I just started this process last Thursday (Galaxy S8 $0 down LG tab) and can't change my plan until Wednesday of this week.
May 8, 2009
2246 posts
710 upvotes
45.420833°N, 75.69°W
jasman123 wrote:
Nov 27th, 2017 4:37 pm
I think you'll be fine, assuming you already have the bonus 2GB. If you don't, then you're beat. If you do, even if you do a rate plan change, as long as it meets the requirements for the bonus 2GB, the bonus data will carry over.

Say the bonus 2GB data requires a rate plan with a minimum of 4GB, as long as you don't dip under that, then you'll keep the zero-rated add-on.
Wireless 1 line w/ Virgin on QC plan, few lines w/ Koodo to get phones, couple FreedomPop SIM's for roaming
Oct 5, 2008
76 posts
9 upvotes
Brampton
titaniumtux wrote:
Nov 27th, 2017 9:28 pm
I think you'll be fine, assuming you already have the bonus 2GB. If you don't, then you're beat. If you do, even if you do a rate plan change, as long as it meets the requirements for the bonus 2GB, the bonus data will carry over.

Say the bonus 2GB data requires a rate plan with a minimum of 4GB, as long as you don't dip under that, then you'll keep the zero-rated add-on.
Thanks, I did get the 2GB bonus data, billing cycle starts on Nov 29. I'll try the rate plan change then.
Nov 18, 2013
170 posts
23 upvotes
Toronto
ScottL79 wrote:
Nov 26th, 2017 6:20 pm
Best Buy in Ancaster wouldn’t give me a QC number. Dude started the process, and I told him I was fine with an Ontario plan, but just needed the QC number. Midway through the setup, he had to ask his manager something, and manager said without a Quebec ID, they wouldn’t give me a QC number.

I’ll have to try a different mobile place I guess, but I was quite discouraged, as this thread led me to believe that Best Buy was a slam dunk.
Same with Best Buy in Etobicoke. Went half way through the process and then when we started talking about the QC number, they absolutely wouldn't do it without QC ID. The rep asked two other guys there and they said the same thing. No Quebec ID, no Quebec number or plan. He said without a QC billing address, they don't even have access to anything for QC (but maybe that's BS).
May 8, 2009
2246 posts
710 upvotes
45.420833°N, 75.69°W
pinkmanwhite wrote:
Nov 28th, 2017 9:14 pm
Same with Best Buy in Etobicoke. Went half way through the process and then when we started talking about the QC number, they absolutely wouldn't do it without QC ID. The rep asked two other guys there and they said the same thing. No Quebec ID, no Quebec number or plan. He said without a QC billing address, they don't even have access to anything for QC (but maybe that's BS).
That's a big bluff. On new activations, they can pick a number from drop-down province/city. BestBuy in Ottawa gave me an AB # upon request once.

With the exception of a few phones, there's not much of a hassle involved in switching to a QC # after the activation.
Feb 21, 2017
25 posts
1 upvote
pinkmanwhite wrote:
Nov 28th, 2017 9:14 pm
I was checking out the QC plan over on Howard forums, and someone tried ordering a new phone and Quebec plan directly from Koodos website despite having an Ontario address. I figured the worst that could happen is they don’t approve it, so I gave it a try as well...We’ll see what happens.
Oct 5, 2008
76 posts
9 upvotes
Brampton
jasman123 wrote:
Nov 27th, 2017 9:58 pm
Thanks, I did get the 2GB bonus data, billing cycle starts on Nov 29. I'll try the rate plan change then.
Good news, made the switch to the new plan. Bad news is the 2GB bonus add-on went away. Oh well, 6GB should be good for me.
Deal Guru
Mar 25, 2003
11164 posts
1444 upvotes
Markham
jasman123 wrote:
Nov 29th, 2017 12:24 am
Good news, made the switch to the new plan. Bad news is the 2GB bonus add-on went away. Oh well, 6GB should be good for me.
Cause the 2GB Bonus deal ended Nov. 27
if deal was still on, then you would still get the 2GB bonus
80TB Mediasonic H82-SU3S2 / 60TB Raid 50 on Mediasonic H8R2-SU3S2
40TB Node 304 / i5-3570 / Server 2016 Essentials
11TB HP Mediasmart EX 495 (E8400, 3.0GHZ, 4GB Mushkin), with Server 2012 Essentials
16TB Qnap TS-459 Pro / 6TB HP Mediasmart EX 485
Nov 22, 2017
4 posts
1 upvote
My 2 GB bonus add-on went away on large tab as well. 7 GB will have to do!! :)
Oct 11, 2013
71 posts
6 upvotes
Markham, ON
I had a question regarding having a Quebec plan with Ontario address. The Mobile Shop at the Markham Loblaws set me up with a Quebec number when I activated, but the G5 I got looked like it had been opened.

It had been well past the 15 day return policy because I had gotten it for my sister as a gift a few weeks later. I went back to The Mobile Shop to see if they could do anything but it was hard to find somebody working there. I swung by there a few times on my way to and from work until I was finally able to find somebody there. The person working there told me the entire team was fired due to fraud. I am not sure if this is what he was referring to or what it could be but I explained my situation.

He took the phone number and said he will look into it, talk to his manager and get back to me in a few days. Afterwards I became nervous about what they might do when they pull up account and see an Ontario number with a Quebec plan. It's been a few days and I haven't heard anything and I wanted to check before trying to contact them again.
Koodo $35 Unlimited Canada-Wide Calling With 1GB Data
Banned
Aug 22, 2017
367 posts
154 upvotes
jk43234 wrote:
Nov 29th, 2017 8:46 am
I had a question regarding having a Quebec plan with Ontario address. The Mobile Shop at the Markham Loblaws set me up with a Quebec number when I activated, but the G5 I got looked like it had been opened.

It had been well past the 15 day return policy because I had gotten it for my sister as a gift a few weeks later. I went back to The Mobile Shop to see if they could do anything but it was hard to find somebody working there. I swung by there a few times on my way to and from work until I was finally able to find somebody there. The person working there told me the entire team was fired due to fraud. I am not sure if this is what he was referring to or what it could be but I explained my situation.

He took the phone number and said he will look into it, talk to his manager and get back to me in a few days. Afterwards I became nervous about what they might do when they pull up account and see an Ontario number with a Quebec plan. It's been a few days and I haven't heard anything and I wanted to check before trying to contact them again.
Least they will do is switch you to an Ontario plan (hardly doubt it).