Getting rid of cluster files

• Last Updated:
  • Mar 14th, 2018 9:44 pm
Tags:
May 15, 2008
132 posts
8 upvotes

Getting rid of cluster files

Anyone had a problem with cluster flies in their home and have any ideas on eliminating them?

I live in a 3 year old townhouse in Toronto/gta and have had several cluster flies during the summer and most recently, in early March.

I suspect the flies are coming out from the ductwork.

Any insight in this would be appreciated.

Thanks
9 replies
Deal Expert
Aug 2, 2004
38385 posts
12009 upvotes
East Gwillimbury
I have a huge problem. I guess you’re south facing as well? They seem to be hibernating in my attic and coming out of my bathroom exhaust vent.

My only solution is to use a vacuum to suck them up.
Deal Addict
May 24, 2004
2354 posts
571 upvotes
Gee wrote: I have a huge problem. I guess you’re south facing as well? They seem to be hibernating in my attic and coming out of my bathroom exhaust vent.

My only solution is to use a vacuum to suck them up.
Seal up your bathroom vent. There shouldn't be any leak between the fan and the exit shroud.

You may have an infestation, perhaps go up in the attic with a cordless vacuum to get most of it out. Finish it off with a spray such as this https://www.homedepot.com/p/Bayer-Advan ... /205534814. Although banned in Canada, the chemical permethrin is very effective on bugs. Lasts quite a while (months) and only require periodic reapplication.

I've seen low concentration permethrin sprays at places like Home Depot. It's usually sold as a perimeter spray. When spraying any type of insecticide especially in closed environments such attics, wear a respirator.
Deal Expert
Aug 2, 2004
38385 posts
12009 upvotes
East Gwillimbury
baymoe wrote: Seal up your bathroom vent. There shouldn't be any leak between the fan and the exit shroud.
I am guessing that is the entry point.

Cluster flies only appear in the spring in fall. I think the best prevention is over the summer since they breed in your lawn near earth worm burrows
May 15, 2015
174 posts
66 upvotes
GTA
I had an insane problem last summer. I'm seeing the random one now that it's getting a bit warmer. I have pest control company coming to spray the whole exterior of the house to kill them. They said they use permethrin. I also bought this on my last visit to the US for additional support if needed https://www.amazon.com/CSI-CYPER-WP-1-L ... =cyper+wsp
Deal Addict
Feb 26, 2011
1074 posts
1205 upvotes
Calgary
Am I the only one wondering why someone needed help getting rid of a cluster of files?

Deal Guru
Oct 6, 2007
11211 posts
10057 upvotes
Kootenays
I'm doing the annual purge of my office desk today and came here looking for advice. :(