• Last Updated:
  • May 19th, 2017 8:05 pm
Tags:
[OP]
Feb 4, 2010
364 posts
87 upvotes

Getting rid of forget-me-nots in lawn

Looking for any tips/advice on how to effectively get rid of forget-me-nots from the lawn. I have dug out a good chunk by hand but more and more keep popping up. I don't want them to take over the lawn so I'd like to eradicate as quickly as possibly.
3 replies
May 21, 2015
449 posts
178 upvotes
Sarnia, ON
Me thinks you may be referring to wild Violets.. They are very difficult to get rid of and certainly none of the eco-safe herbicides available in Ontario will kill them.. Even the good stuff doesn't usually work. You may have to resort to very carefully spraying each individual plant with Round-up, from very close up.. almost painting the stuff on the leaves with a little paint brush if you don't want to kill the grass around them leaving brown spots. If you want to pull them, make sure your lawn is really soaked, makes the pulling of the roots easier. The easiest way to control them from spreading is not to cut your grass too short.. I have only the rare one in my yard (easy to get rid of) which I cut at 3" compared to neighbors who shave their lawns down at 2" or less.
[OP]
Feb 4, 2010
364 posts
87 upvotes
Beneful1 wrote:
May 19th, 2017 5:00 pm
Me thinks you may be referring to wild Violets..
Thank you! I did not think they were forget-me-nots but someone who supposedly "knows" about flowers insisted they were when I showed them to her.

Unfortunately I don't think my lawn mower has adjustable settings (it's and old used one I bought on Kijiji). In August (after the weeds finish germinating) I'm going to do a thorough deweeding of the entire lawn and then rent an overseeder - hopefully the grass will choke out most of the weeds next spring.
Mar 27, 2015
659 posts
157 upvotes
Thornhill, ON
I respectfully disagree in that I think they are most likely forget-me-nots. They have a much thinner leaf,, while wild violets do not. Forget-me-nots are currently at their height of their bloom period so I'm figuring that is what you have. Either way, even if you dig them out, they are pretty much non-killable and there will always be a clump of it somewhere on your lawn.

https://www.gardeningknowhow.com/orname ... e-nots.htm