• Nov 20th, 2019 2:08 pm
Tags:
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Jul 17, 2008
9624 posts
2459 upvotes

Getting rid of mould stain?

Can anyone suggest how to get rid of these mould stains? I used mould control from home depot and dabbed it into a sponge, but can't seem to erase it. I also seem to be destroying the ceiling texture as you can see

Any suggestions? I don't want to further damage my ceiling texture
P_20191112_213510_vHDR_Auto.jpg
5 replies
Deal Addict
Oct 9, 2010
2476 posts
718 upvotes
Windsor
Muriatic acid will do it, but probably will eat the paint as well. Bleach should work; spray it on, leave it for a few minutes, dab it away ... repeat.
One who is offended by truth, has no place among those who seek wisdom.
Deal Guru
Feb 9, 2006
10620 posts
4895 upvotes
Brampton
The leak is fixed right?
I hate textured ceilings, you'll never fully get the stain gone.

To remove it you'll need to mist it a bit with some bleach slowly overtime as not to over saturate the texturing, if you do it'll fall off.
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Jul 17, 2008
9624 posts
2459 upvotes
There was no leak. This is in the garage where the humidity was going up like crazy during winter. I had 80%+. So mould formed in a few places. This winter I already have a dehumidifer in place which I turn it on as soon as I see humidity going over 60%. But now I'm trying to get rid of the stains :(

So is the consensus try bleach in a spray bottle and spray it a little over time while I dab it each time with a sponge?
Deal Addict
Aug 12, 2007
3801 posts
548 upvotes
Waterloo
Messerschmitt wrote:
Nov 14th, 2019 6:34 pm
There was no leak. This is in the garage where the humidity was going up like crazy during winter. I had 80%+. So mould formed in a few places. This winter I already have a dehumidifer in place which I turn it on as soon as I see humidity going over 60%. But now I'm trying to get rid of the stains :(

So is the consensus try bleach in a spray bottle and spray it a little over time while I dab it each time with a sponge?
What youre saying doesnt compute. and that looks like a leak stain. a mould strain would be all over not just in the corner. Maybe you have a heat leak ( uninsulated to the outside )in the corner?
----
Pay it forward.
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Jul 17, 2008
9624 posts
2459 upvotes
It's a good chance it is a heat leak yes, and possible insulation problem. But it hasn't been a problem in growing since i control the moisture in the garage with a dehumidifier. I'd like to know how to get rid of the stain without destroying my ceiling texture