Cell Phones

Getting Rogers pay-per-use plan, any suggestions?

• Last Updated:
  • Jan 6th, 2013 4:14 pm
Tags:
None
[OP]
Deal Addict
Apr 9, 2008
2359 posts
133 upvotes
Toronto

Getting Rogers pay-per-use plan, any suggestions?

I am planning to get rogers pay-per-use plan 365 days expiry with unlimited texting with a $100 top up. I will use my best buy gift card to buy the Rogers $100 card.

I need thsi cell phone for emergency purposes only.

Any suggestions to minimise the cost?
Are there any additional costs/fine prints (other than 911 fees) that I should be aware of?

Thanks
13 replies
[OP]
Deal Addict
Apr 9, 2008
2359 posts
133 upvotes
Toronto
is there a way to get free sim or waive activation fees?
Deal Addict
Nov 27, 2004
2928 posts
145 upvotes
There are different plan options since you're using $100 top up. Make sure you pick a good plan. You can always switch, but requires another top up I think.

911 Fees
Voicemail is free but if enabled, it uses your minutes twice:
#1 People leaving you a voicemail.
#2 You listening to the voicemail.

Usually if you buy a phone, you get the sim and some credits.
Deal Addict
Dec 12, 2006
3828 posts
330 upvotes
Barrys Bay
Why not check out PCMobility ( presidence choice ) or speakout or petro canada mobility, may end up more bang for little $ and have yearly top ups. PCMOBILITY is bell network and speakout/petro canadamobility is ROGERS network( can use rogers locked phones on it )
Deal Fanatic
Jul 14, 2008
6405 posts
632 upvotes
Ontario
I don't know if they still offer it, but my wife is on their $20MY5 PAYG plan. For her its beautiful, as she can talk and text to basically every number she needs.
Your best bet is to determine what your needs are, and compare other low cost options that theguyz suggested.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Apr 9, 2008
2359 posts
133 upvotes
Toronto
theguyz wrote:
Jan 4th, 2013 10:40 am
Why not check out PCMobility ( presidence choice ) or speakout or petro canada mobility, may end up more bang for little $ and have yearly top ups. PCMOBILITY is bell network and speakout/petro canadamobility is ROGERS network( can use rogers locked phones on it )
Does speak out use Rogers network??

Speakout has a coverage map which I think is different from rogers

http://www.speakout7eleven.ca/support/coverage
Deal Addict
Dec 12, 2006
3828 posts
330 upvotes
Barrys Bay
bsobaid wrote:
Jan 4th, 2013 11:32 am
Does speak out use Rogers network??

Speakout has a coverage map which I think is different from rogers

http://www.speakout7eleven.ca/support/coverage
Yes Rogers GSM Network: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/7-Eleven_S ... t_Wireless

Just select GSM and will see http://rogers.wirelessdealer.ca/coverage/index.asp?l=en matches speakout's map

which is identical to petro canada http://mobility.petro-canada.ca/en/features/192.aspx

speakout and petrocanada mobility are operated by same company that leases off rogers ztar mobile

Many people use speakout and petro canada to exploit the unlimited mobile browsing ( now capped at 2 GB ) for $8-10...Rogers can't touch that, but as well some apps/data don't work.

NOTE: Those maps are as 2006, lots of upgrades on GSM coverage since then.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Apr 9, 2008
2359 posts
133 upvotes
Toronto
onlineharvest wrote:
Jan 4th, 2013 11:23 am
I don't know if they still offer it, but my wife is on their $20MY5 PAYG plan. For her its beautiful, as she can talk and text to basically every number she needs.
Your best bet is to determine what your needs are, and compare other low cost options that theguyz suggested.
so t his a month to month plan..I Dont think I will using $20 per month...I am more like a $100 usage for the year user.
Deal Fanatic
Jul 14, 2008
6405 posts
632 upvotes
Ontario
bsobaid wrote:
Jan 4th, 2013 3:57 pm
so t his a month to month plan..I Dont think I will using $20 per month...I am more like a $100 usage for the year user.
yes, this is a M2M plan. Great if you plan to talk and text to your hearts delight with 5 numbers. Not a good choice if you only want to spend $100 for the year. There are others more suitable for you, with prepaid airtime with a year expiry. Not familiar with any specific plans though
Deal Addict
Oct 13, 2008
1155 posts
82 upvotes
Why not pickup the phone and call Rogers Pay As You Go 1-877-559-5202

Pay As You Go™ Inquiries:1-800-575-9090
Stress is caused by NOT fishing enough.

Megabass & Imakatsu RULES!
Jackall & DoLive RULES!
YGK & Sunline RULES!
St. Croix & Halo RULES!

JDM ONLY.
Dec 22, 2010
118 posts
7 upvotes
The Pay By The Minute - All Day plan seems like the best bang for your buck in terms of emergency usage.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Apr 9, 2008
2359 posts
133 upvotes
Toronto
yeah, so I was in mall yesterday and saw bestbuy mobile. I dropped by and inquired about getting my phone activated by bestbuy for the $100 365 days expiry pay as you go top up. The guy said all pay as you go credits expire on monthly basis.

So I thought the guy does not know what he is talking about or best buy wont activate my phone if I am not getting a monthly plan from them. Either way, I thought it is too risky to get it activated from them. I then saw a Rogers booth right across the shop, so I went there and the guy said yes the 365 days expiry pay as you go exist and I can get the pay as you go top up card from bestbuy if I want to use my gift card but he said the early evening and weekend option or unlimited sms option does not come with the pay as you go plan.

So now I know, both best buy mobile associates and rogers booth sales people have no clue what they are talking about.

btw, I bought screen protector from bestbuy mobile for samsung s2x. He said there will be $5 extra to stick it on the cell phone screen, wondering it is normal??
Dec 22, 2010
118 posts
7 upvotes
bsobaid wrote:
Jan 6th, 2013 1:33 pm
yeah, so I was in mall yesterday and saw bestbuy mobile. I dropped by and inquired about getting my phone activated by bestbuy for the $100 365 days expiry pay as you go top up. The guy said all pay as you go credits expire on monthly basis.

So I thought the guy does not know what he is talking about or best buy wont activate my phone if I am not getting a monthly plan from them. Either way, I thought it is too risky to get it activated from them. I then saw a Rogers booth right across the shop, so I went there and the guy said yes the 365 days expiry pay as you go exist and I can get the pay as you go top up card from bestbuy if I want to use my gift card but he said the early evening and weekend option or unlimited sms option does not come with the pay as you go plan.

So now I know, both best buy mobile associates and rogers booth sales people have no clue what they are talking about.

btw, I bought screen protector from bestbuy mobile for samsung s2x. He said there will be $5 extra to stick it on the cell phone screen, wondering it is normal??
Early Evennings + Weekends & Unlimited Texting only comes with the Socialite 40 plan. Other plans differ in unlimited texting and unlimited calling times. Nonetheless, rogers booth sales people always disappoint me.

Don't pay any extra to get someone to stick it onto the screen. It's really easy, just go on youtube to find out how.
× < >