Tags:
None
[OP]
Nov 8, 2005
92 posts
111 upvotes
Halifax

Getting a US credit card from Canada

I am visiting Florida soon and want to buy something online for pickup when I get there. The vendor, Home Depot, doesn't accept Canadian credit cards as payment. I have tried changing my address to a US address, but their systems still reject it.

Where can I get a cheap/free US credit card that comes with a US address? If it's prepaid, there needs to be a way for me to load it fairly easily from Canada.
8 replies
Mar 15, 2011
526 posts
346 upvotes
Waterloo
Have you tried a interact visa card?
It always seems to work for me, when a Candian Mastercard won't.
Deal Addict
Nov 22, 2002
2791 posts
512 upvotes
Stewx wrote:
Apr 11th, 2016 6:41 am
I am visiting Florida soon and want to buy something online for pickup when I get there. The vendor, Home Depot, doesn't accept Canadian credit cards as payment. I have tried changing my address to a US address, but their systems still reject it.

Where can I get a cheap/free US credit card that comes with a US address? If it's prepaid, there needs to be a way for me to load it fairly easily from Canada.
Try your Cdn credit card again
For the billing address check, you can take the numbers on your postal code and add 2 digits from an actual zip code, use actual street addy with American city and state based on the zip code
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2006
23967 posts
9502 upvotes
If you're there for a couple weeks, you could easily get an account at any bank in the US.
I say a couple weeks since it takes about that long to get a debit card.
Great thing is that at any one time there's some bank there that has a free checking option (usually with conditions like "move $25 per month into savings" or something)

If you can't wait that long down there, sign up at RBC.
They have a virtual US division that's a full fledged US bank but you deal with them through their Canadian branch.
It's $4/month though.

Unfortunately unless you have an ITIN you won't be able to get a reloadable prepaid card you find on retail shelves.
You're free to get non-reloadable ones though but those are obviously a bit of a pain in the butt.
[OP]
Nov 8, 2005
92 posts
111 upvotes
Halifax
Magoomba wrote:
Apr 11th, 2016 10:54 am
Try your Cdn credit card again
For the billing address check, you can take the numbers on your postal code and add 2 digits from an actual zip code, use actual street addy with American city and state based on the zip code
I went the whole way and updated my official credit card address to the USA and it still didn't work.
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2006
23967 posts
9502 upvotes
Stewx wrote:
Apr 11th, 2016 4:43 pm
I went the whole way and updated my official credit card address to the USA and it still didn't work.
And it probably never will.
There's certain retailers that just can't process anything but US drawn credit cards.
Aug 7, 2007
130 posts
17 upvotes
have you tried call HD directly, to see if they would be able to apply your payment manually from the store where you are picking up?
I was erolled for a US Credit Card at Sam's Club immediately. It s a Mastercard that is accepted most everywhere & pay for it online thru my US dollar TD account.
This is not a solution for your current situation, but maybe for future....?
Dec 6, 2008
381 posts
72 upvotes
Why don't you apply for a TD US Dollar Visa Card right here in Canada. The visa card works in all places although I haven't tried what you are trying to like online with Home depot, etc. At US gas stations where you need a zip code, they give you a dummy US zip code that you can enter and make it work. Didn't feel the need to get a card from the states. Maybe try stewx's method above and let us know if that works!
Deal Expert
Aug 2, 2004
30496 posts
5036 upvotes
East Gwillimbury
Any reason why you just can't wait till you are in Florida and just walk into a store and buy it?

Have you tried applying for an Amazon credit card?