Getting value out of RBC Avion Rewards

• Last Updated:
  • Jun 13th, 2019 2:37 pm
May 10, 2004
81 posts
11 upvotes
YVR

Getting value out of RBC Avion Rewards

Didn't see anything posted on this so I thought I would share.

Was trying to book a flight (3 people) from YVR to LAX return. 35,000 points with a max of $750 base fare (was pretty sure they used to include the taxes but they must have got rid of that a while ago).

Basic flights were all standard fare (earning 50% of status points). There didn't seem to be a way to change the fare type within economy. I decided to look at business class but that put it too far above base fare unless I took a god awful departure time.

Called RBC rewards to see if I could do a mixed class ticket. Agent said you can't do it online, nor do they do it but you can ask for a statement of credit. They give you an authorization ahead of time to book a ticket elsewhere and then send them the information and they will refund the basefare up to $750 for the 35,000 points.

Went on AC site and as it was a sale I was able to get Comfort Class down (115% status points) and Business Class back (150% status points). Flights came in under the $750 base fare and bought the 3 tickets.

I am going to try an upgrade the Comfort Class with an eUpgrade closer to the flight and this will cost only 2 upgrade points as a opposed to many more and $125 per upgrade if upgrading from Standard Class.

I also received full RBC points on my purchase.

The short version. Ask for a statement of credit. Go buy the ticket yourself and max the $750. Get better flights, get more status points, and get RBC Avion points.
1 reply
Deal Expert
Feb 7, 2017
27765 posts
27803 upvotes
Eastern Ontario
freezeepopprice wrote: Didn't see anything posted on this so I thought I would share.

Was trying to book a flight (3 people) from YVR to LAX return. 35,000 points with a max of $750 base fare (was pretty sure they used to include the taxes but they must have got rid of that a while ago).

Basic flights were all standard fare (earning 50% of status points). There didn't seem to be a way to change the fare type within economy. I decided to look at business class but that put it too far above base fare unless I took a god awful departure time.

Called RBC rewards to see if I could do a mixed class ticket. Agent said you can't do it online, nor do they do it but you can ask for a statement of credit. They give you an authorization ahead of time to book a ticket elsewhere and then send them the information and they will refund the basefare up to $750 for the 35,000 points.

Went on AC site and as it was a sale I was able to get Comfort Class down (115% status points) and Business Class back (150% status points). Flights came in under the $750 base fare and bought the 3 tickets.

I am going to try an upgrade the Comfort Class with an eUpgrade closer to the flight and this will cost only 2 upgrade points as a opposed to many more and $125 per upgrade if upgrading from Standard Class.

I also received full RBC points on my purchase.

The short version. Ask for a statement of credit. Go buy the ticket yourself and max the $750. Get better flights, get more status points, and get RBC Avion points.
Good to know

BTW, you’ll find other threads about RBC Avion in the RFD CREDIT CARDS FORUM
Which is a sub forum under PERSONAL FINANCES

http://forums.redflagdeals.com/credit-cards-f189/