Computers & Electronics

getting wireless signal to reach upstairs?

• Last Updated:
  • Aug 8th, 2008 7:41 pm
Tags:
None
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jul 27, 2002
2686 posts
185 upvotes
Nations Capital

getting wireless signal to reach upstairs?

Hi I have a linksys wrt54gl with tomato. i'm trying to get the wireless signal to reach upstairs.

My internet is going into my basement but it only reachs to barley outside the room its in and to the bottom of the stairs about 10 feet away.

I've tried increating the wireless power in tomato but I still can't get it to reach.

any 'cheap' ideas on how to get it to reach up there?

i'm trying to get my psp to work there, and it doesn't have much range.
Now Heat ENABLED :)
-----------
Who Are You? - What Do You Want? - Why Are You Here? - Where Are You Going?
31 replies
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jul 27, 2002
2686 posts
185 upvotes
Nations Capital
yes I can run a cable upstairs if I need too.

I can't move the router since the internet cable is only so long, it just reaches at the moment.
-----------
Deal Fanatic
Mar 13, 2004
7630 posts
619 upvotes
Toronto, Ontario
Run a Cat6 Network cable to your other router. thats the best way and you will get the best connection.

check out Monoprice.com for cheap, high quality cat6 cable
0_o
<_<
>_>
Deal Addict
Feb 16, 2005
2731 posts
34 upvotes
Toronto
If you're willing to drop another $70-100 on another WRT54GL and load it up with the same TOmato firmware, you can create a wireless repeater (as far as I know) that will be able to take the wireless signal from the basement and bounce it upstairs as long as it can pick up whatever signal you from a different location.
Jon Lim
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jul 27, 2002
2686 posts
185 upvotes
Nations Capital
willy wrote:
Aug 5th, 2008 2:05 pm
$11 can get you a 50' network cable ... http://www.canadacomputers.com/index.ph ... CA.815.581

25' is $7.50 ... http://www.canadacomputers.com/index.ph ... CA.815.581
I have cable.. guess I will need another router.. to hook it up upstairs and hope it will reach.. wonder if I can borrow one first to check! don't want to waste money if it still won't reach.
-----------
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jul 27, 2002
2686 posts
185 upvotes
Nations Capital
well I can't move it since my internet connection comes in downstairs. so I can't test if upstairs without one downstairs..

don't really want to buy another one either..

but if thats the only way....

anyone try one of those paper antennas from antennasweb?
-----------
Deal Expert
Oct 13, 2002
18738 posts
713 upvotes
Huh ? But you said you can run a network cable from the basement to the main floor, can't you ?

OK, here's what I am trying to say ....

Now ...
Cable/DSL modem (basement) ------> WRT54GL (basement)

Try ...
Cable/DSL modem (basement) ----------------------------------------------------------------------------> WRT54GL (main floor)
Deal Guru
Nov 18, 2005
10139 posts
1698 upvotes
Kingston
FearSonic wrote:
Aug 5th, 2008 2:13 pm
If you're willing to drop another $70-100 on another WRT54GL and load it up with the same TOmato firmware, you can create a wireless repeater (as far as I know) that will be able to take the wireless signal from the basement and bounce it upstairs as long as it can pick up whatever signal you from a different location.
Or get a FON router and FONTENNA for a lot less and load it with DD-WRT. Just make sure you don't register it or it will update the software and make it more difficult to hack.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jul 27, 2002
2686 posts
185 upvotes
Nations Capital
yes, but I would need someway to get the wisp single to upstairs. the cable doesn't reach.

I understand what your getting at, but don't see how i'm going to do it.

my internet is directly plugged into my router.

I need my router downstairs for other stuff as well, I just wanted to be able to access the net on my psp from upstairs.
-----------
Banned
Nov 11, 2006
8770 posts
29 upvotes
Tdot
^if u were one of those guys that live in the basement of there moms house, u wudn't have this problem wud u :cheesygri
Deal Fanatic
Mar 13, 2004
7630 posts
619 upvotes
Toronto, Ontario
If you router needs to stay in the basement for other computers then you need to buy a 2nd router for upstaries if you want wireless there.

Modem-->Router(basement)---------------------->Router (upstaries) = Wireless on top floor

if you dont need wireless on your top floor, just run a Cat6 cable from the router in the basement to your computer on the top floor and your done.
0_o
<_<
>_>
× < >