Brossard

Onkyo VC-GX30B with Google Assistant - 99$

Deal Link:
Price:
Expiry:
December 16, 2018
Retailer:
Gibbys
I haven't tried it personally, but reviews state that it has better sound than the Google Home and right now it's the same as the sale price for the latter. I haven't exactly been researching this model, but the lowest US price I've seen is 70$, so 100$ CAD seems reasonable, though shipping will be extra if you cannot pick it up in person. An argument can be made as to whether or not it looks nicer than a Google Home. Keep in mind that as a 3rd party GA, it cannot make phone calls.

Here's a link to a review:
https://www.tomsguide.com/us/onkyo-smar ... -5279.html

Deal ends today.

Sorry if this a repost, but I didn't see it posted and found nothing in the forum search.
6 replies
Jun 24, 2007
93 posts
21 upvotes
Thorold
Even more reason for me to swing by there today to check it out, thanks!
Jun 2, 2004
616 posts
90 upvotes
Toronto
Priced at 128 at Visions.
Onkyo Visions VCGX30B

Price match for 97 can't go wrong. I'd love to try it but already have so many homes and minis in my house
Feb 18, 2014
565 posts
954 upvotes
Thanks OP, it's been $128 at Visions for the past month so this does appear to be a new low for this speaker. The consensus from the previous thread seems to be good sound but overpriced at MSRP.
Jun 8, 2006
358 posts
21 upvotes
I got 2 off them a few weeks back for 96 on a price match. The sound is pretty good, much better bass than my Echo.
Oct 27, 2009
286 posts
153 upvotes
Hamilton
Is the google assistant always on, or can it be turned off?
[OP]
Jan 1, 2008
481 posts
153 upvotes
Brossard
shorfd wrote:
Dec 16th, 2018 10:00 am
Thanks OP, it's been $128 at Visions for the past month so this does appear to be a new low for this speaker. The consensus from the previous thread seems to be good sound but overpriced at MSRP.
Yeah, Gibby's lists it at reg. 350$, I don't see how it could be worth that considering the consensus seems to be that it's nowhere as good as the Sonos.
stimy wrote:
Dec 16th, 2018 10:42 am
Is the google assistant always on, or can it be turned off?
Depends on your perspective, but I don't think you can ever really turn the Assistant itself off; it's the point of getting this speaker. That said, you can mute the mic (there's a button, or you could mute it through voice controls).