Sorry, this offer has expired. Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this. Add a Deal Alert

Expired Hot Deals

Sorry, this offer has expired.
Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this.
Set up a Deal Alert
Best Buy

Gibby's: Panasonic 55" ST Plasma TV TCP55ST50 $1348, PM FS $1323 or BB $1283

• Last Updated:
  • Feb 2nd, 2013 9:42 am
Tags:
None
Deal Addict
Jul 25, 2006
2206 posts
314 upvotes
Montreal
Just so you know, talked to a manager at my local Future Shop. There are only a handful of GT50 TVs left in eastern Canada and they're not expecting additional shipments.
Dec 5, 2007
479 posts
39 upvotes
Hamilton
SKYMTL wrote: Does anyone have an idea about the "54 series" they're selling at Costco? It certainly isn't on Panasonic's website and no one else is selling it. Costco specific version of the 50-series?
It's the 60PUT54....looks to be the Costco version of the UT50. Entry level 3D Plasma. Probably missing the anti-glare filter, etc.
Sep 14, 2009
35 posts
8 upvotes
Oakville
I would agree with SKYMTL. Between now and the end of November is likely when you'll see the best prices. Boxing day could net you a bit more savings, but you'd have to contend with the crowds and limited quantities. I've been keeping my eye on both the 55ST50 and the 55GT50, the prices don't seem to be dipping as low as last year's prices for their GT30 series units.

Not really into the UT50 series. Their design is not as clean as the ST or GT series. The UT50 series is much thicker than the ST50 series. I believe the UT50 series design is a carryforward from the 2011 ST30 series and the 2010 VT25 series.

Costco did carry some larger ST series last year in December, but I'm not sure if they'll so the same this coming December.
Feb 28, 2007
95 posts
7 upvotes
Woodstock
i've also been monitoring the st50 series for the past month and the price hasnt dropped at all. FS keeps extending their 'sale price' on the st50 every week.
Deal Addict
Jul 25, 2006
2206 posts
314 upvotes
Montreal
Good news guys. Sears is actually selling the 55ST50 for $1499 this week, making it $100 less than Future Shop's sale price.

I have it on good authority (a good friend that's an owner of an electronics store here in Montreal) that ALL ST, GT and VT models are in extremely limited quantities and regular replenishment shipments aren't expected. As such, Black Friday / Boxing Day probably won't see lower prices unless a retailer has excess stock of a certain model. Panasonic has actually served stores with a notice saying any further Distribution Center direct shipments will now have a $100 premium tacked on, making these sets yet more expensive.

For the record, another option for anyone looking at the 50ST50 is Samsung's PN51E6500. Currently, it can be found for around $1050.
Aug 20, 2012
15 posts
8 upvotes
Toronto
I bought the TCP60GT50 today from FS but unfortunately they had no stock. I arranged for pick up in a few days when they get it in from their warehouse. They are currently selling for about $2500 but I managed to get them down to $2099 plus tax and eco fee. I was debating between the Samsung PN60E8000 and the GT50 and am still not sure if I made the right decision. I would have probably opted for the ST model but they had none in stock Canada wide and they made it seem as though I was getting a steal of a deal. Not so sure though.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 17, 2012
5379 posts
4994 upvotes
Toronto
I also picked up a Panasonic plasma today, but I bought the TCP65ST50. Today East Hamilton Radio was selling the 65ST50 for $2400 and they were including their extended warranty. After a lengthy but enjoyable discussion with some very helpful FS folks, I got my deal done for just a bit more than the EHR price including the 4 year FS PSP plan priced at $530.

I've been told in writing that as of just a couple weeks ago, the FS PSP now covers burn-in on plasma's and dead pixels etc. I was nervous about going with plasma due to the image retention issues. I currently have a 6 year old 50 inch Sony LCD rear projection model and have had no issues whatsoever with the TV - still running the original lamp. So an extended warranty wasn't something I was interested in, but... I might want it.

Or I decide to cancel the PSP in the first 30 days and get my $530+tax back making the deal I got particularly good.

$2050 for the 60 inch GT50 is a pretty good price. That TV would have been priced at $2500 today at FS I think, and that was 'on sale' already. We basically each got the same deal, as my $2000 65 inch ST50 was also currently at $2500.

You basically have a choice with the ST/GT line. $500 will buy you either 5 inches, or the jump from ST to GT. For my money I decided to go with the screen size as the image quality between the two sets is essentially the same. The GT has the additional levels of greyscale (24K vs 12K or so) and the THX cert badge. Has better picture quality controls in the user menu, but that can be overcome by going into the system menus.

Given we both got a $2500 TV for $2000, it leads me to believe that's what we might expect in any upcoming sales. I'm getting my TV next week.
Aug 20, 2012
15 posts
8 upvotes
Toronto
If you return the warranty will they subtract the $530 from the $2400? That bring you down to $1870 which really is a steal, way below cost I would assume.
Deal Fanatic
Apr 1, 2004
5180 posts
1273 upvotes
torontotim wrote: You basically have a choice with the ST/GT line. $500 will buy you either 5 inches, or the jump from ST to GT. For my money I decided to go with the screen size as the image quality between the two sets is essentially the same. The GT has the additional levels of greyscale (24K vs 12K or so) and the THX cert badge. Has better picture quality controls in the user menu, but that can be overcome by going into the system menus.
The GT50 doesn't have more controls in the user menu... that's what separates the ST50/GT50 from the UT50. Then the VT50 has even more controls. The ST50 and GT50 have the exact same control set, same panel and same filter, so they're capable of achieving the exact same picture after calibration. The GT50 does have extra shades of gradients, but pros who have compared them said that it makes little to no difference. The main benefits of the GT50 over the ST50 are listed in my post above (post 43).
Deal Addict
Dec 14, 2007
2391 posts
682 upvotes
Vancouver Island
torontotim wrote: I also picked up a Panasonic plasma today, but I bought the TCP65ST50. Today East Hamilton Radio was selling the 65ST50 for $2400 and they were including their extended warranty. After a lengthy but enjoyable discussion with some very helpful FS folks, I got my deal done for just a bit more than the EHR price including the 4 year FS PSP plan priced at $530.

I've been told in writing that as of just a couple weeks ago, the FS PSP now covers burn-in on plasma's and dead pixels etc. I was nervous about going with plasma due to the image retention issues. I currently have a 6 year old 50 inch Sony LCD rear projection model and have had no issues whatsoever with the TV - still running the original lamp. So an extended warranty wasn't something I was interested in, but... I might want it.

Or I decide to cancel the PSP in the first 30 days and get my $530+tax back making the deal I got particularly good.

$2050 for the 60 inch GT50 is a pretty good price. That TV would have been priced at $2500 today at FS I think, and that was 'on sale' already. We basically each got the same deal, as my $2000 65 inch ST50 was also currently at $2500.

You basically have a choice with the ST/GT line. $500 will buy you either 5 inches, or the jump from ST to GT. For my money I decided to go with the screen size as the image quality between the two sets is essentially the same. The GT has the additional levels of greyscale (24K vs 12K or so) and the THX cert badge. Has better picture quality controls in the user menu, but that can be overcome by going into the system menus.

Given we both got a $2500 TV for $2000, it leads me to believe that's what we might expect in any upcoming sales. I'm getting my TV next week.
How were you told "in writing" exactly? Was it a printed document of some sort? I only ask because under PSP's Terms and Conditions (on FS's site), under General Exclusions it specifically mentions "...burned phosphor (including image ghosting), pixel burnout not in accordance with the manufacturer’s guidelines..." as items not covered.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 17, 2012
5379 posts
4994 upvotes
Toronto
Rob76 wrote: How were you told "in writing" exactly? Was it a printed document of some sort? I only ask because under PSP's Terms and Conditions (on FS's site), under General Exclusions it specifically mentions "...burned phosphor (including image ghosting), pixel burnout not in accordance with the manufacturer’s guidelines..." as items not covered.
Totally agree. I've exchanged emails with the salesperson confirming things (which I know won't hold water at the end of the day) but of course will be following up for firm and final written confirmation from FS before the 30 day window closes on the return. Aside from the burn-in coverage I don't think I'd bother with the $530 warranty for the extra 4 years of coverage, but it's a tough call.

I didn't spend the money on the extended warranty of my current Sony LCD rear-projection unit, and have had 5-6 years of no issues, not even the lamp burning out (although it might be dimmer now, not sure how these go - if they dim first then blow or just go out).

Going by the odds I should probably keep the warranty on my next set given I had good luck on the current one. I'm due for some bad luck with this one :) $530 for 10 years of worry free TV isn't bad when you stretch it out. Plus again, it's my first plasma and if it truly does cover burn-in I'm probably keeping it.

This was all discussed with the 'manager' during my negotiation as the discounting required his approvals. So I tend to believe it.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 17, 2012
5379 posts
4994 upvotes
Toronto
Oh and yeah, I should be able to walk into any FS and cancel the warranty and get my $530+tax back no problem. So my price for the 65 ST50 would be $2000 + tax.

A good deal, but not insanely good. I was offered the 65 ST50 over email by East Hamilton for $2200. So pretty close and that was their first offer to me. No doubt we could find another $200 to knock off.
Deal Addict
Jul 25, 2006
2206 posts
314 upvotes
Montreal
rahzel wrote: The GT50 doesn't have more controls in the user menu... that's what separates the ST50/GT50 from the UT50. Then the VT50 has even more controls. The ST50 and GT50 have the exact same control set, same panel and same filter, so they're capable of achieving the exact same picture after calibration. The GT50 does have extra shades of gradients, but pros who have compared them said that it makes little to no difference. The main benefits of the GT50 over the ST50 are listed in my post above (post 43).
I will say this again: the ST does NOT have the same panel as the GT series. Unfortunately, CNet's review got this wrong and it has been spreading like a cancer to other reviews and into people's psyche. The two panels are comparable in specifications but I can tell you they have two different product numbers and come in two separate shipping batches when received / installed at the factory. Even the electrical components pre-installed onto the unit is different between the two. I saw these things being assembled at Panasonic's Osaka factory when I last visited and while the GT and VT are assembled on the same line, the ST shares more components with the UT model than its higher-end siblings.

When properly calibrated, you are absolutely correct; the two look very much identical. But they certainly do NOT have the same panel, nor the exact same internal component layout. :)

And for the record; I took a double plunge this weekend. I bought a 50ST50 for upstairs ($989) and a 55GT50 ($1810) for downstairs.

Personally, I love the exterior design of the GT50, I needed the extra HDMI inputs, and wanted something no one has talked about: substantially lower gaming input lag on the GT.

On the other hand, the upstairs TV is typically used for news viewing and standard programming.
Nov 21, 2011
21 posts
1 upvote
Ottawa
SKYMTL wrote: And for the record; I took a double plunge this weekend. I bought a 50ST50 for upstairs ($989) and a 55GT50 ($1810) for downstairs.
Where did you find an 50st50 for $989?
Deal Addict
Jul 25, 2006
2206 posts
314 upvotes
Montreal
bradleyfitz wrote: Where did you find an 50st50 for $989?
Negotiation. Remember, I was buying two TVs and transporting them myself so there was plenty of room for movement on the price.

Some retailers have a TON of 50ST50 models in inventory since they reserved stock early. Others don't. You just have to find one with extra inventory right now. In my case, I went to La Boutique Electronique here in Montreal.
Deal Addict
Dec 14, 2007
2391 posts
682 upvotes
Vancouver Island
torontotim wrote: Totally agree. I've exchanged emails with the salesperson confirming things (which I know won't hold water at the end of the day) but of course will be following up for firm and final written confirmation from FS before the 30 day window closes on the return. Aside from the burn-in coverage I don't think I'd bother with the $530 warranty for the extra 4 years of coverage, but it's a tough call.

I didn't spend the money on the extended warranty of my current Sony LCD rear-projection unit, and have had 5-6 years of no issues, not even the lamp burning out (although it might be dimmer now, not sure how these go - if they dim first then blow or just go out).

Going by the odds I should probably keep the warranty on my next set given I had good luck on the current one. I'm due for some bad luck with this one :) $530 for 10 years of worry free TV isn't bad when you stretch it out. Plus again, it's my first plasma and if it truly does cover burn-in I'm probably keeping it.

This was all discussed with the 'manager' during my negotiation as the discounting required his approvals. So I tend to believe it.
Keep us posted. I'd love to hear the verdict on whether PSP's terms and conditions have changed. I personally never buy extended warranty on anything, except maybe a few Apple products (AppleCare has been a really good investment for me), but I reluctantly bought PSP on my first plasma (50PZ77), like yourself thinking it's new tech and probably very expensive to fix, and sure enough when the panel died just over 2 years of ownership, PSP really saved me as the cost of repair was the same as a new panel. And if you can believe it, the very same thing happened again on the replacement unit (50G15) which was just replaced through PSP with the 65GT50 (I had to pay the price difference between the 50" and the 65", although the price difference somehow was worked out to be between MSRP of 50GT50 and the negotiated discounted price of the 65GT50 :) ).

Maybe I just have bad luck with TVs but I'm a total believer in PSP for plasma TVs. I even bought it assuming it wouldn't cover burn-in or dead pixels, so if it does it would be a bonus. FWIW I will say this, I've now owned 3 Panasonic plasma TVs and I've never ever had any burn-in. Image Retention OTOH, sure, it comes and goes like it used to on the old CRT TVs but never permanent burn-in, and I game on my PS3 a lot.

On a side note, I'm not sure of how good of a deal I got on the 65GT50 but with very little negotiation I was able to get it for $2750. I'm sure other RFDers would get it even lower.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 17, 2012
5379 posts
4994 upvotes
Toronto
$2750 is OK for the GT50 - the GT carries a $500 up tick from the ST series, so that's like getting the 65ST50 for $2250. I paid $2000. Keep your eyes on prices.

I just called FS 1-800 and asked the PSP folks. 100% they now cover 'phosphors burn', and it is GRANDFATHERED to all existing PSP plans. The updated product literature is expected in stores soon. This all started Nov 5 but again, even if your PSP is 3 years old, you're covered.

Wonder how many people got 'screwed' by paying to replace their TV say 6 months ago while still under PSP? If I did that, and if I learned about this change, I'd be going after them for the money for sure.

Will definitely be keeping my PSP.
Deal Addict
Dec 14, 2007
2391 posts
682 upvotes
Vancouver Island
^^
That's awesome. I know in the US, BestBuy's extended warranty covers those so maybe it was just a matter of time before FS did too. Hope they update their Terms and Conditions soon, at least on the website. Until then, I'm afraid we won't have a leg to stand on as it needs to be in writing IMO.
Deal Fanatic
Apr 1, 2004
5180 posts
1273 upvotes
SKYMTL wrote: I will say this again: the ST does NOT have the same panel as the GT series. Unfortunately, CNet's review got this wrong and it has been spreading like a cancer to other reviews and into people's psyche. The two panels are comparable in specifications but I can tell you they have two different product numbers and come in two separate shipping batches when received / installed at the factory. Even the electrical components pre-installed onto the unit is different between the two. I saw these things being assembled at Panasonic's Osaka factory when I last visited and while the GT and VT are assembled on the same line, the ST shares more components with the UT model than its higher-end siblings.

When properly calibrated, you are absolutely correct; the two look very much identical. But they certainly do NOT have the same panel, nor the exact same internal component layout. :)

And for the record; I took a double plunge this weekend. I bought a 50ST50 for upstairs ($989) and a 55GT50 ($1810) for downstairs.

Personally, I love the exterior design of the GT50, I needed the extra HDMI inputs, and wanted something no one has talked about: substantially lower gaming input lag on the GT.

On the other hand, the upstairs TV is typically used for news viewing and standard programming.
I'm not getting my info from Cnet... I'm getting it from Dewayne Davis (aka D-Nice), one of the most respected calibrators in the world, who has inside information from Panasonic and probably knows more about these panels than anyone other than Panasonic's engineers themselves; as well as "avjunkie" at HighDefJunkies, who is the lead designer for Panasonic. They have both said that all of the 2012 Plasmas use the same panels, and avjunkie said that it was for cost reasons.
http://www.highdefjunkies.com/showthrea ... post355590

No their panels don't share the exact same internals, but they share the same base panel. The GT50 and VT50 have slightly different components compared to the ST50 and UT50, such as a dual-core processor etc., which probably explains the different product numbers.

In the early 2000's, MANY LCDs used S-PVA panels (Toshiba, Samsung, Sony etc.,). They shared the same panels, but that doesn't mean they have the same internals. It was their each individual software implementations that determined the color accuracy of each model, but they all shared the same base performance stats (contrast, black levels etc.). The UT-VT essentially share the same base panels, whether they have different product numbers or not. That's why the black levels, contrast ratios, brightness levels etc., are all essentially the same. The software controls what picture adjustability the set has, and that's ultimately what separates them apart in terms of performance. The ST50 and GT50 have the exact same controls, which is why they perform exactly the same after calibration. This is a proven fact by the several calibrations that have been done on both, and there are several calibration reports found online.

-The UT50 has no user pro settings menu at all; calibrations have to be done in the service menu. Even in the service menu, there is no gamma adjustment at all.
-The ST50/GT50 have the pro settings menu, which includes a 2-point RGB W/B High/Low control in the user menu, as well as a gamma slider.
-The VT50 has the ISF modes, which includes a 10-point RGB W/B / gamma control, as well as a full 3D Color Management System (Color Luminance, Saturation and Hue).

Another difference between the models is the screen filter. The UT50 has no screen filter, while the ST50 and GT50 have the same 'Infinite Black Pro' filter. The VT50's filter ('Infinite Black Ultra') is slightly darker, which gives it slightly better brightroom performance, and slightly better black levels (not noticeable to the eye, only in measurements).

Besides, regardless of whether or not they are the exact same panel, the fact remains that they perform the same after calibration and very close before calibration.

edit: as for gaming input lag, I have measured my ST50 around 16ms in Custom mode against a very old LCD monitor (so it might actually be a bit higher than that), but that's still respectably low these days. I find it hard to imagine that the GT50 is substantially lower than that, if any. The EUR models are a bit different, but HDTVtest.co.uk (THE best HDTV reviewers in the business IMO) actually measured the GT50 as being higher (16ms vs 25ms).
http://www.hdtvtest.co.uk/news/panasoni ... 041899.htm
http://www.hdtvtest.co.uk/news/panasoni ... 091797.htm