Tags:
None
Deal Addict
Sep 21, 2007
4200 posts
58 upvotes
Winnipeg

Gift cards at Superstore/Loblaws

I have a question. I was standing in line to get my groceries rung through and I saw a bunch of gift cards near the candy stall. One gift card caught my eye, HBC. I have a PC account and and CC to get PC point for purchases I make.

Here's my question: If i buy these gift cards with my credit card will I get PC points whenever I need to buy something at Zellers or the Bay. Can I stop by Superstore to pick up a card and double dip on points. (PC and HBC)?
"An essential aspect of creativity is not being afraid to fail." -- Edward Land
My Flickr

Top Tier Imports
18 replies
Deal Expert
Dec 11, 2005
18500 posts
929 upvotes
faken wrote:
Sep 27th, 2009 9:26 am
I have a question. I was standing in line to get my groceries rung through and I saw a bunch of gift cards near the candy stall. One gift card caught my eye, HBC. I have a PC account and and CC to get PC point for purchases I make.

Here's my question: If i buy these gift cards with my credit card will I get PC points whenever I need to buy something at Zellers or the Bay. Can I stop by Superstore to pick up a card and double dip on points. (PC and HBC)?
You're not double dipping, you're just making a big hassle for yourself.

Scenario A: Buy $20 GC at Superstore with PC Mastercard. You get 200 PC points. You then use it at HBC store, you get 200 HBC points.

Scenario B: You just use your PC Mastercard at HBC store. You get 200 PC points and 200 HBC points.

You get the same amount of points both ways.

The only advantage to having these GC at Superstore is it allows you to REDEEM your PC points for them. IE redeem 20,000 PC points for a $20 HBC gift card.
To be nobody but yourself - in a world which is doing its best, night and day, to make you everybody else - means to fight the hardest battle which any human being can fight; and never stop fighting. -- E. E. Cummings
Deal Addict
Apr 12, 2005
1349 posts
150 upvotes
faken wrote:
Sep 27th, 2009 9:26 am

You can triple dip if you buy HBC gift cards @ Safeway. Safeway has bonus Airmiles in the last few weeks, it is still on this week. You get 25 Airmiles with the coupon in th weekly flyer for buying $100 giftcards.
Mar 1, 2009
292 posts
6 upvotes
Nova Scotia
brunes wrote:
Sep 27th, 2009 9:58 am
You're not double dipping, you're just making a big hassle for yourself.

Scenario A: Buy $20 GC at Superstore with PC Mastercard. You get 200 PC points. You then use it at HBC store, you get 200 HBC points.

Scenario B: You just use your PC Mastercard at HBC store. You get 200 PC points and 200 HBC points.

You get the same amount of points both ways.

The only advantage to having these GC at Superstore is it allows you to REDEEM your PC points for them. IE redeem 20,000 PC points for a $20 HBC gift card.
So, 200 points is .10 cents?
Deal Addict
Feb 20, 2006
1124 posts
25 upvotes
Vancouver
One scenario where the maneuver makes sense is when your CC gives you a higher cash back rate at grocery stores like Superstore than at the store for which you are buying the GC. The most recent example would be the MBNA SmartCash card.

In this case you can effectively get the grocery bonus amount for purchases at non-grocery stores.

Another scenario where it makes sense is when a CC offers a limited time bonus period - the SmartCash is again an example, offering a 6-month 5% cash back period for groceries/gas before dropping to 3%. In this case, it may make sense to stock up on gift cards (even for the grocery store itself) to lock in the limited time bonus rate for later purchases (of course, you want to be sure you'll actually make those purchases, or else the technique will backfire).
Deal Addict
May 30, 2006
1749 posts
2 upvotes
It also makes sense to buy gift cards at Shoppers Drug Mart. You can buy a Shoppers Drug Mart gift card first with your credit card and show your Shoppers Optimum card and get both the credit card points and the optimum points. You can then use your SDM gift card to buy a another gift card at the gift card mall (say Esso). In this transaction you won't get any points at all (didn't used to be the case, but they tightened restrictions). Now take that card and go get your gas and collect Esso Extra points or Aeroplan miles.

In this case you come out with extra Optimum points for your hassle and all the other rewards you would have gotten otherwise stay the same.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 23, 2005
7756 posts
3652 upvotes
emoci wrote:
Sep 28th, 2009 12:31 pm
I've seen signs at both NoFrills and Loblaws noting that they no longer accept CC for gift card purchases.
I've purchased a few different gift cards at Loblaws, as recent as two weeks ago and paid with my Smart Cash CC without any issues.

Also bought one GC at A&P (Metro now) with a CC as well.
Mar 23, 2004
33198 posts
2136 upvotes
Markham
emoci wrote:
Sep 28th, 2009 12:31 pm
I've seen signs at both NoFrills and Loblaws noting that they no longer accept CC for gift card purchases.
most of them still accept CC. It really depends on the store.
「もし、奇跡を起こせたら……」
Aug 4, 2005
788 posts
8 upvotes
Stouffville
sjweyman wrote:
Sep 28th, 2009 9:30 am
It also makes sense to buy gift cards at Shoppers Drug Mart. You can buy a Shoppers Drug Mart gift card first with your credit card and show your Shoppers Optimum card and get both the credit card points and the optimum points. You can then use your SDM gift card to buy a another gift card at the gift card mall (say Esso). In this transaction you won't get any points at all (didn't used to be the case, but they tightened restrictions). Now take that card and go get your gas and collect Esso Extra points or Aeroplan miles.

In this case you come out with extra Optimum points for your hassle and all the other rewards you would have gotten otherwise stay the same.
Wouldn't it be simpler to buy the Esso gift card and pay with your Optimum credit card + show Optimum card? The second transaction seems to just add complexity without any bonus points.
Banned
Jun 19, 2006
9349 posts
42 upvotes
With Aeroplan (and the CIBC Aerogold VISA card) -- I've bought Esso gift cards -- collected Aeroplan points:

a) For using the CIBC Aerogold VISA card; (ie: 50 miles)
b) For making a purchase at Esso (ie: 17 miles);
c) For using the gift card to purchase fuel (ie: 17 miles);

So, basically, 84 AP points for $50 spent on fuel.

At 2 cents/mile (which is what I think AP miles should be rougly valued at), this is a 3.36% return.
"I worked with several H1B employees that were/are borderline ********. One of them wanted to spray an electrical patch panel with solvent to see if it would make the “network go faster”". <--- lol (source)
Mar 6, 2007
605 posts
7 upvotes
angel_wing0 wrote:
Sep 28th, 2009 1:48 pm
most of them still accept CC. It really depends on the store.
Visited a couple of superstores by my area last year, they won't take CC for GC. Just a few years ago, these above stores won't take Visa CC at all.
Deal Addict
May 30, 2006
1749 posts
2 upvotes
ratface wrote:
Sep 28th, 2009 3:45 pm
Wouldn't it be simpler to buy the Esso gift card and pay with your Optimum credit card + show Optimum card? The second transaction seems to just add complexity without any bonus points.
No because you get no points for buying electronic gift cards. The only card that qualifies for points is the Shoppers Drug Mart gift card.

Also, I would not use the SDM credit card because the return it offers is less than then that of the credit card I normally use.

In your scenario you would end up with (per dollar spent):
15 optimum points + 1/2/3 Esso extra points for buying gas.

In my scenario you end up with:
X credit card points + 10 optimum points + 1/2/3 Esso extra points.

Of course, you could use your SDM credit card to buy the SDM gift card. In this case you would end up with:
15 optimum points (from CC) + 10 optimum points + 1/2/3 Esso extra points.

Again, I don't find the 15 points earned on the shoppers optimum card to be worth it in this case because I value my credit card points higher than those 15 optimum points. The choice of what credit card you use is obviously yours.
Deal Addict
May 30, 2006
1749 posts
2 upvotes
pitz wrote:
Sep 28th, 2009 4:10 pm
With Aeroplan (and the CIBC Aerogold VISA card) -- I've bought Esso gift cards -- collected Aeroplan points:

At 2 cents/mile (which is what I think AP miles should be rougly valued at), this is a 3.36% return.
This is also a good strategy that I hadn't thought of. I wonder if you get AirMiles for purchasing shell gift cards at Shell? Does anybody know? I would still choose Extra Esso points over Aeroplan though because I think they are more valuable when purchasing car washes or converting them to AirMiles.
Deal Expert
Dec 11, 2005
18500 posts
929 upvotes
pitz wrote:
Sep 28th, 2009 4:10 pm

Thats not as good as buying CT gift cards at CT.... assuming you get at least 1% back on the CC, you get 1% back + usually around 4% back in CT money when you buy the gas. When you buy via GCR and get your 3.5% back on top of that it is even sweeter.
To be nobody but yourself - in a world which is doing its best, night and day, to make you everybody else - means to fight the hardest battle which any human being can fight; and never stop fighting. -- E. E. Cummings
× < >