• Jul 18th, 2018 12:16 pm
[OP]
Deal Addict
Aug 5, 2006
2793 posts
769 upvotes
Global Village

Gift ideas for newborn overseas

A close cousin of mine who lives overseas in Europe is expecting a baby next month, a baby boy and it's their first. Looking to send them something fun yet useful as a gift, budget is up to $100 including shipping. Any ideas?
All day I dream about sports
18 replies
[OP]
Deal Addict
Aug 5, 2006
2793 posts
769 upvotes
Global Village
I'd rather it be a gift other than money. Any suggestions?
All day I dream about sports
Deal Addict
Apr 8, 2007
1732 posts
124 upvotes
Mississauga
Not the most useful, but when our kids were born, a friend living out of country sent a personalized book from Iseeme.com. It was a beautiful high quality book with nice personalization on each page. My 5 year old daughter loves reading them.

I've ordered a bunch of books from that website as gifts for other people since.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 31, 2008
9936 posts
1402 upvotes
Toronto
scoper wrote:
Jun 13th, 2018 4:58 pm
I'd rather it be a gift other than money. Any suggestions?
Seriously. Money. Now, are they loaded? Really, for a newborn, there isn't much you can give to be shipped over seas that's of value.
Deal Addict
Jun 10, 2011
1769 posts
309 upvotes
THORNHILL
What country?
Amazon is pretty much anywhere. Just buy him a gift from the country's local amazon.
Deal Addict
Dec 11, 2003
1159 posts
211 upvotes
Toronto
durrsak wrote:
Jun 14th, 2018 12:17 pm
What country?
Amazon is pretty much anywhere. Just buy him a gift from the country's local amazon.
I was about to say just buy something from the local Amazon site. I would suggest diapers, clothes (onesies), toys, bibs, or something fun to decorate the nursery/bedroom with but you'll have to check to see what they already have. Babies grow quickly when they're first born.
P10 2.4 THz CPU || 8 TB Ram || WD 300 TB HD || Nvidia w/ 32 TB Memory

"You're only as dumb as you look"
Deal Addict
Nov 13, 2013
1224 posts
462 upvotes
OTTAWA
Some Canadian branded onesies and the like. A hockey Jersey if they are from a country that understands that. A Canadian Board book is also fun.
Deal Expert
Aug 2, 2004
28311 posts
3835 upvotes
East Gwillimbury
Cash is the best gift, easy to ship too.

Problem is, $100 is only ~€60 after conversion. Maybe less.
Deal Fanatic
Jun 26, 2005
8294 posts
694 upvotes
Toronto
Honestly, I tell you, any and all gifts for a new born is a waste of money, and not useful. Parents already will buy everything they need. Everyone has soooo many left over stuff from their babies (who are now 2, 4, 10, yrs old).

I know the "feeling" of getting a gift is nice, but in reality its not useful. Just look around your house at how many gifts you've gotten that are all useless now.

My suggestion: Increase your budget slightly and buy a few shares of stocks. Keep it in your account, but maybe give them a self made certificate.

Who knows, in 10, 20 yrs where this may take him.

some choices: VISA, MasterCard, Apple, Netflix, Costco, Microsoft etc
Deal Addict
Jan 2, 2015
1254 posts
535 upvotes
rfdrfd wrote:
Jul 4th, 2018 12:43 pm
Honestly, I tell you, any and all gifts for a new born is a waste of money, and not useful. Parents already will buy everything they need. Everyone has soooo many left over stuff from their babies (who are now 2, 4, 10, yrs old).

I know the "feeling" of getting a gift is nice, but in reality its not useful. Just look around your house at how many gifts you've gotten that are all useless now.

My suggestion: Increase your budget slightly and buy a few shares of stocks. Keep it in your account, but maybe give them a self made certificate.

Who knows, in 10, 20 yrs where this may take him.

some choices: VISA, MasterCard, Apple, Netflix, Costco, Microsoft etc
This. I have a very practical family and we didn’t need need much for our babieS. Instead of a gift, my siblings bought Disney shares along with a fancy certificate for the amount of about $500 when my first was born. We didn’t let her play with it, and it wasn’t fun at birth. However, when she was about 3 or 4, and going through her Disney phase, we showed her the ‘pretty piece of paper’. She thought it was neat but didn’t understand, but it was pretty. When she was about 9 or 10 and we started teaching her about investing and compound investing , we looked up the price of the stock when it was bought, and how much the current value is. Its brought up great discussions about investing for the future. We talked about when she turns 18 she could cashed it in for school or something, she asked what happens if she doesn’t. So I showed some more annuities table.

Just imagine the fun when we talk about dividends and DRIPS.

So in all seriousness, the kids will be seriously more thankful with a good investment at 18.

If terms of other gifts, the only things we kept were a couple of really cool outfits (like a hot red leather jacket) and a personalized blanket. Everything else has been donating to friends who have babies.
Last edited by Macx2mommy on Jul 5th, 2018 2:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
On a 'smart' device that isn't always so smart. So please forgive the autocorrects and typos. If it brothers you, then don't read my posts, but don't waste my time correcting me. If you can get past the typos, then my posts generally have some value.
Deal Fanatic
Jun 26, 2005
8294 posts
694 upvotes
Toronto
Macx2mommy wrote:
Jul 4th, 2018 4:39 pm
This. I have a very practical family and we didn’t need need much for our babieS. Instead of a gift, my siblings bought Disney shares along with a fancy certificate for the amount of about $500 when my first was born. We didn’t let her play with it, and it wasn’t fun at birth. However, when she was about 3 or 4, and going through her Disney phase, we showed her the ‘pretty piece of paper’. She thought it was neat but didn’t understand, but it was pretty. When she was about 9 or 10 and we started teaching her about investing and compound investing , we looked up the price of the stock when it was bought, and how much the current value. It brought up great discussions about investing for the future. We talked about when she was 18 she cold cashed it in for school or something, she asked what happens if she doesn’t. So I showed some more annuities table.

Just imagine the fun when we talk about dividends and DRIPS.

So in all seriousness, the kids will be seriously more thankful with a good investment at 18.

If terms of other gifts, the only things we kept were a couple of really cool outfits (like a hot red leather jacket) and a personalized blanket. Everything else has been donating to friends who have babies.
Is this for real? WOW!! Amazing to hear of a real example. 18 years ago, DIS was like $40 ish. And its around $112. That's a gain of $72/share = 180% gains. Or approx. 18% for each year.

Bravo
Deal Addict
Jan 2, 2015
1254 posts
535 upvotes
rfdrfd wrote:
Jul 4th, 2018 5:10 pm
Is this for real? WOW!! Amazing to hear of a real example. 18 years ago, DIS was like $40 ish. And its around $112. That's a gain of $72/share = 180% gains. Or approx. 18% for each year.

Bravo
For real. It was almost 13 years ago. Sorry, typos make it sound like she already 18. I meant to say that we talked about when she turns 18 she can cash it in for her education. That’s a few years away.

It was about $26 US a share at the time she received the shares, my daughter received 20 shares. She also gets a dividend. The certificate is a great idea too (think they paid. Something extra). It can be framed, but we do pull it out as a concrete example of investing because it’s really hard for kids to understand abstract concept of equities.

The bravo goes to my family for being so practical
On a 'smart' device that isn't always so smart. So please forgive the autocorrects and typos. If it brothers you, then don't read my posts, but don't waste my time correcting me. If you can get past the typos, then my posts generally have some value.