• Last Updated:
  • Dec 26th, 2018 9:04 pm
[OP]
Deal Addict
Aug 22, 2009
1381 posts
1098 upvotes

Gifted a Camera, but going to exchange

I was gifted a Canon M100 - I was told to exchange it for something else.

I have been eye balling a Sony A6000 and a Olympus EM10 and I can’t decide which one would be better.

It would be for travel, portraits, kids sports - basically everything.

I understand Sony has the larger sensor, better low light shooting and currently they are on sale.

$579.99 for Body + kit Lens
$799.99 for body + kit lens + 55-210 lens

Olympus has IBIS, smaller overall size, cheaper lens options.

I have a Canon DSLR I’m transitioning out of. Typically I have my Sigma 17-50 lens on it majority of the time or the 50mm 1.8f.

The odd time I need it I’ll toss my telephoto lens (which i’d probably use for th e sports stuff coming up)

$599.99 Olympus EM10 MKii + kit lens

Price wise for the Body + Kit Lens is comparable.

With Sony they are selling with an extra telephone for an extra $200. Worth it?

I don’t want to wait wait wait and end up
Missing a sale.

I also want to make sure I make the right/best decision.
14 replies
Aug 15, 2018
85 posts
26 upvotes
My 2 cents only. The Sony has a larger sensor so would be a bit better in low light but not sure how much better. It also has higher MPs which is useful for overall image quality and you'll be able to crop a bit more if needed.

DXOMark ranks the EM-10ii sensor 141th while the A6000 sensor is ranked 82nd. To take with a pinch of salt but they usually run extensive tests.

If the price is similar and you can afford the lenses moving forward, I'd go with the A6000.
If your lenses budget is tighter, I would go with the Olympus. My first camera was an E-m10 mark 1 and I loved it. Olympus has great third party manufacturers producing Micro 4/3 lenses too. My favourite was the Panasonic 20mm 1.7 that I also used for astro when hiking, it was super light and useful!

https://ibb.co/bWNT2M1 - E-m10 mark 1, 20mm 1.7
[OP]
Deal Addict
Aug 22, 2009
1381 posts
1098 upvotes
I take lots of photos of the kids, vacations, kids sports,. I don’t carry a camera with me 24/7, but I also prefer not to take cell phone photos if I can. Second, my DSLR is too big to carry around all the time.

I’d like to be able to have a lens that I keep on most the time, something versatile. That was my Sigma 17-50 on the Canon followed by the 50mm.

When my kids are at gymnastics I’ll likely need a bit more zoom than just a kit lens. Most of the photos I take don’t need a telephoto, but I think I need one for those times we do go on vacation, sporting events, etc.

The Sony $799 package comes with a telephoto , however if that lens isn’t worth the $799 package price I can always look into something else lens wise or brand wise.

I feel like no matter which one I go with will be a HUGE upgrade from my Canon XS, however I want to make the best decision for long term considering I’ve had this Canon 10+ years.

In terms of buying lenses, I want to keep things budget friendly. I’m far from professional, but I appreciate a great photo.
Last edited by Easto on Dec 26th, 2018 11:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
Aug 15, 2018
85 posts
26 upvotes
I just checked and the improvements from E-M10 1 to E-M10 II are (to me) not very significant: https://www.ephotozine.com/article/olym ... -m10-28012

Better video (do you do video?), higher viewfinder resolution (I don't mind much personally), slightly higher fps (8.5 vs 8). Shutter speed on the mark ii goes to 1/16000 though which could be good if 1/4000 is not enough for your needs. Otherwise if you are looking to save some dollars, I would suggest to check if you can find an EM-10 mark 1 too .
Deal Addict
Nov 30, 2011
2411 posts
965 upvotes
GTA
IMHO you really can't go wrong with either. If you are going to be using the camera indoor for sports such as gymnastics, I would be concerned that the base telephoto would not be fast enough to freeze the action. This might be corrected by adding an external flash (doubt the built-in flash would do the job). You may want to consider this issue before purchasing a lens such as the "kit" 55-200 Sony - although, for general outdoor use it should do fine.
Have a Question? Don't be afraid to ask.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Aug 22, 2009
1381 posts
1098 upvotes
bvit6667 wrote:
Dec 26th, 2018 4:25 pm
IMHO you really can't go wrong with either. If you are going to be using the camera indoor for sports such as gymnastics, I would be concerned that the base telephoto would not be fast enough to freeze the action. This might be corrected by adding an external flash (doubt the built-in flash would do the job). You may want to consider this issue before purchasing a lens such as the "kit" 55-200 Sony - although, for general outdoor use it should do fine.
So my concern with the zoom 22-210 4.5-6.3 lens is that it won’t take good indoor photos. Typically for their sports, flash photography is not allowed.

So I’m left wondering if the lens is worth spending $799 on the package, or do I stick with the body and kit Len for $579.97.
Deal Addict
Nov 30, 2011
2411 posts
965 upvotes
GTA
Easto wrote:
Dec 26th, 2018 4:37 pm
So my concern with the zoom 22-210 4.5-6.3 lens is that it won’t take good indoor photos. Typically for their sports, flash photography is not allowed.

So I’m left wondering if the lens is worth spending $799 on the package, or do I stick with the body and kit Len for $579.97.
In all honesty, I don't think the 55-210 is going to cut it for taking indoor photos of sports. Without a flash you would probably need to use a fast lens (F2.8 or faster). Those lenses tend to be expensive!

That 55-210 is a generally capable lens for general photography so part of the issue you face is "how important is taking good pictures of your kids when they are being active?" Regardless of the camera brand you choose, a "kit" telephoto will struggle with low light and fast movement. The Sony A6000 has fast focus and good focus tracking but low light requires a fast lens. There are some good videos on YouTube of setting this camera up and using it to focus on fast-moving kids (Gary Fong has some good ones IMHO).
Deal Addict
May 5, 2010
1148 posts
422 upvotes
If you have kids, the Sony A6000 might be a better choice. It has phase detect autofocus which is quicker than the contrast autofocus the Olympus uses.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Aug 22, 2009
1381 posts
1098 upvotes
bvit6667 wrote:
Dec 26th, 2018 5:03 pm
In all honesty, I don't think the 55-210 is going to cut it for taking indoor photos of sports. Without a flash you would probably need to use a fast lens (F2.8 or faster). Those lenses tend to be expensive!

That 55-210 is a generally capable lens for general photography so part of the issue you face is "how important is taking good pictures of your kids when they are being active?" Regardless of the camera brand you choose, a "kit" telephoto will struggle with low light and fast movement. The Sony A6000 has fast focus and good focus tracking but low light requires a fast lens. There are some good videos on YouTube of setting this camera up and using it to focus on fast-moving kids (Gary Fong has some good ones IMHO).
I have a Canon lens with similar specs as this one.

My daughters gymnastics prohibits flash photography so I’m wondering if this lens will be great for outdoor stuff, but insufficient indoors.

Nonetheless, is there any other telephoto option I could look in to if I went with the body + kits lens and purchased something else (without breaking the bank).

For what it’s capabilites are, is the $200 price worth it is the next question
Aug 15, 2018
85 posts
26 upvotes
Easto wrote:
Dec 26th, 2018 5:35 pm
My daughters gymnastics prohibits flash photography so I’m wondering if this lens will be great for outdoor stuff, but insufficient indoors.
You can surely take pics indoors with a f/4.5-6.3 but I guess you'll need a fast shutter speed and consequently need to crank your ISO up quite a bit.

For indoor sports there is unfortunately little alternative to fast (and more expensive) glass.

Not sure if it can help but here are your options (list may not be exhaustive though) in terms of lenses with both systems:
Sony aps-c: https://www.neocamera.com/list_lenses.p ... =focalwide
Olympus m43: https://www.neocamera.com/list_lenses.p ... =focalwide
[OP]
Deal Addict
Aug 22, 2009
1381 posts
1098 upvotes
mattnew wrote:
Dec 26th, 2018 7:03 pm
You can surely take pics indoors with a f/4.5-6.3 but I guess you'll need a fast shutter speed and consequently need to crank your ISO up quite a bit.

For indoor sports there is unfortunately little alternative to fast (and more expensive) glass.

Not sure if it can help but here are your options (list may not be exhaustive though) in terms of lenses with both systems:
Sony aps-c: https://www.neocamera.com/list_lenses.p ... =focalwide
Olympus m43: https://www.neocamera.com/list_lenses.p ... =focalwide
I appreciate you taking the time to give your opinion on all this.
Deal Fanatic
Aug 29, 2006
7620 posts
1506 upvotes
I wouldn’t over look the Canon M50, add an adapter and you can use your dslr lens.
The Devil made me buy it - RFD. :twisted:
Deal Addict
May 5, 2010
1148 posts
422 upvotes
Easto wrote:

Nonetheless, is there any other telephoto option I could look in to if I went with the body + kits lens and purchased something else (without breaking the bank).

I have the zoom lens and I got it back in the days at Target for $200 by itself and it's worth it at that price. It is not the sharpest but the focus is quite fast. The build quality is great. Mine is the silver one and it's made of aluminum iirc. Also, there is no other alternative, specially at this price point. Outdoor, you'll find 0 complaint with it, but indoor, forget about it.

$200 for the zoom lens is a low risk purchase since it sells for around 200 on ebay used, so if you don't like it after a couple of uses, you won't be losing a lot of money by reselling it.

Unfortunately, indoor sport photography and without breaking the bank are not 2 things that goes well together. I recommend to rent a good zoom lens instead, like the 70-200mm F2.8.
Deal Addict
Nov 30, 2011
2411 posts
965 upvotes
GTA
Easto wrote:

I think the Sony 55-210 is worth $200. It should work fine outdoors and, as has been mentioned, you should be able to sell it for the $200 you pay for it if you find it isn't meeting your needs. Unfortunately, I don't believe there is an inexpensive lens that will work for you for gymnastics regardless of what camera you decide to purchase.