Parenting & Family

Gifted school in York Region

• Last Updated:
  • Dec 4th, 2017 1:34 am
Dec 12, 2005
346 posts
12 upvotes
Richmond
By any chance are you familiar with the Hoagies’ Gifted Discussion Group on Facebook? There are are number of members there from Ontario.
Oct 5, 2013
6 posts
Richmond Hill
My daughter is currently attending PACE as well. She does very good at the school. The disadvantage about the school is before school and after school care are very short. No daycare before 8:00 am and got to be picked up by 5:00 pm Mon- Thurs and no daycare on Friday and need to be picked up by 3:45 pm. In regarding academic, you need to have a good sit still habits as there are a lot of homework daily. I like the class size small 20 students per class and get more attentions. There are new posts on" PACE the Academy for GIfted Children" reflagdeals , there is a parent just post a new information this month on page 4 that you might interest to know about the school more details.
Jan 12, 2007
1 posts
First, I have no personal experiences with the schools you mentioned, so I can't give you any information about those schools.
However, I have 2 children (grade 4 & 5) who are in gifted program in Toronto schools, and can offer you my personal experiences with my children.
I did not think my children were "gifted" before the school sent me a letter about the possibility and the need for further evaluations when they were in grade 3. However, I sent them to Montessori school for their JK and SK years. And I feel that has helped my children significantly. The curriculum at Montessori school progress according to each child's ability. So, my children were reading grade 3~4 level books, writing in cursive and doing multiplications when they finished SK. Also, they introduce responsibilities and socialization skills for my kids as this was the first school they had ever experienced.
Starting in grade 1, I sent them to public school (in good neighborhood), but for a couple of years, they found school work too easy. In grade 3, both my kids were identified as gifted and now go to a different school.
So, my advice is to consider Montessori school instead of gifted private schools. The school has both average and gifted children, but the teacher sets different pace for each child. Your child will be satisfied by challenging work and also socialize with mix of peers who are not all gifted like him, which I think is the true reflection of society.