Tags:
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jul 30, 2003
1606 posts
73 upvotes
Toronto

gifts for parents

I usually give toyrus giftcards ($25-50) to friends who has babies. Since toyrus is going bankrupt, what are some good alternative giftcards to use? Not being a parent I have no idea what is available/popular/useful to parents. Giving cash is not an option. In Toronto if location matters.
15 replies
Deal Fanatic
Jul 12, 2003
8434 posts
1280 upvotes
Markham
Wal-Mart. I'm sure they can find something to buy in WM, either food, baby stuff or small applicances.
Retired Forum Moderator February 2009 - June 2015
Mar 24, 2015
697 posts
167 upvotes
Ottawa, ON
How about kids clothing store giftcards? OshKosh, Carter's, Gap, Children's place,...
Jul 18, 2015
107 posts
62 upvotes
Vancouver, BC
I have always stuck with a card + cash. Nothing is more useless than a gift card in my opinion.
Deal Fanatic
Jul 12, 2003
8434 posts
1280 upvotes
Markham
cluie29 wrote:
Sep 27th, 2017 12:34 pm
I have always stuck with a card + cash. Nothing is more useless than a gift card in my opinion.
Agree, that's why a GC from a general store is always getter than a specific store unless you know the person is going to shop and purchase from there.

I strucked with a Bay and Indigo GC for a while.
Retired Forum Moderator February 2009 - June 2015
Aug 23, 2017
129 posts
89 upvotes
You might want to consider Amazon GCs. I've personally preferred them over other generic stores like WalMart or other specialty kids stores.

A Costco GC isn't so bad either (if they are newborns).
Mar 1, 2018
40 posts
4 upvotes
Getting gifts for parents who have everything isn’t easy.
On the other hand, they just want to see that you put a little thought into it.

Some gifts’ ideas:
A soft blanket with or w/o pattern or
A book of their favorite author -- Your parents will think about you every time they’re snuggled up in the blanket & reading the book you’ve offered.
A fancy picture frame -- You can even get creative with putting a sentimental family photo in a gorgeous frame.
Nov 7, 2012
785 posts
298 upvotes
TORONTO
leadicapri wrote:
Mar 12th, 2018 5:02 pm
Getting gifts for parents who have everything isn’t easy.
On the other hand, they just want to see that you put a little thought into it.

Some gifts’ ideas:
A soft blanket with or w/o pattern or
A book of their favorite author -- Your parents will think about you every time they’re snuggled up in the blanket & reading the book you’ve offered.
A fancy picture frame -- You can even get creative with putting a sentimental family photo in a gorgeous frame.
Talk about resuscitating an old thread.

Toys R Us is not closing down in Canada so it's safe to give those.

Personally, GC are great. Money is even better. A toy is fine as well, as long as there's a gift receipt.
Deal Addict
Dec 27, 2013
1555 posts
419 upvotes
Woodbridge
This is really based on the recipient and how well you know them, but if they're the type to never spend on themselves and be very careful with money, they might appreciate something for them rather than the child. A gift card for a high-end restaurant or a massage package. Something that they'd never buy for themselves, but that they could really benefit from. My wife and I don't have a child yet, but we live quite a frugal life as we prioritize paying down the mortgage, building savings etc. If someone were to give us cash, we'd probably just use it for groceries or deposit it. If someone were to give us a gift card to Canoe, we'd probably have an amazing evening out that we would never justify paying for ourselves.

Other than that, unless you know the person very well and can think of a truly unique or personalized gift to give them, or know exactly what they want, I think cash is king. I think people go for gift cards because there's some taboo with cash as being impersonal or lazy... but gift cards aren't any different except for the restrictions they place on the person receiving them.
Aug 16, 2009
780 posts
75 upvotes
Toronto
Cash > Gift Cards. If you choose to give gift cards, get one of those mall ones is possible. This way the recipient can use it at any of the stores within that mall....
Deal Fanatic
Mar 31, 2008
9814 posts
1357 upvotes
Toronto
I don't know if they have Amazon gift cards but that would be best.
Deal Addict
Dec 11, 2003
1032 posts
163 upvotes
Toronto
I am thinking Costco (if they have a membership), Walmart, or Amazon. I assume most people shop at those 3 places the most.
P10 2.4 THz CPU || 8 TB Ram || WD 300 TB HD || Nvidia w/ 32 TB Memory

"You're only as dumb as you look"
Feb 25, 2018
79 posts
21 upvotes
It really depends on what each of them really like.
Here are some:
Mom:
- Jewelry - Cheaper jewelry from a store like Forever21 or you can get her real silver or diamonds from a department store like Macy's
- Lotions - Bath & Body Works has many scents of lotion.
- Tea - loose tea or tea bags. You can get fancier tea from a place like Teavana , David’s tea
-Fuzzy slippers

Dad:
- Coffee/tea Mug .
- Photobook/Scrapbook
-Cologne - If your dad wears cologne, get the name of it or choose a scent similar to the one he wears.
Good luck!