• Last Updated:
  • Jul 17th, 2018 11:36 pm
[OP]
Aug 23, 2017
144 posts
98 upvotes

Gifts for teachers

Hi,

With end of the school year approaching, I am thinking of buying gifts for my kid's teachers.

Is a bottle of wine an appropriate gift for the teachers? Planning to pair that with a GC for Amazon.

Thanks.
30 replies
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2011
23328 posts
9755 upvotes
Ottawa
Are teachers allowed to accept giftcards?
May 14, 2010
553 posts
78 upvotes
Mississauga
I think just a gift card is appropriate.
Oct 17, 2013
130 posts
67 upvotes
Ontario
Yes, gift cards, wine, gift cards to wine stores, are appropriate and most likely very welcome. I know I appreciate them.
Deal Addict
Dec 26, 2007
2926 posts
197 upvotes
I’ve never gotten an amazon gc, but think it’s a great idea, as it will allow them to use it for anything they want. Enjoyment of wine is a bit more dependent on personal tastes and preferences. I personally don’t drink wine, but I occasionally receive a bottle from a parent and appreciate the gesture (and will use it to cook with or give it away).

Generally, unless you know the teacher and their tastes really well, generic and easily useable gifts like Starbucks/Timmies/Amazon gift cards are best if you want to buy something, though what really makes a gift for me is the sentiment in the card (whether it comes with something tangible or not), teachers like to know that we’ve made a difference in your child’s life.

On a lighter note, under no circumstances should you purchase lingerie as a teacher gift unless you want to be the talk of the staff room for years to come (true story).
Oct 17, 2013
130 posts
67 upvotes
Ontario
jerrysiz wrote:
Jun 18th, 2018 7:32 pm
On a lighter note, under no circumstances should you purchase lingerie as a teacher gift unless you want to be the talk of the staff room for years to come (true story).
Or a musical instrument shaped as a member of the male anatomy (true story as well).
Deal Addict
Dec 22, 2008
1933 posts
742 upvotes
Victoria
I usually do gift cards, coffee mugs if they have a favourite sports team
Deal Addict
Dec 26, 2007
2926 posts
197 upvotes
earthygoat wrote:
Jun 18th, 2018 8:30 pm
Or a musical instrument shaped as a member of the male anatomy (true story as well).
Ah, yes. There are always a few gifts a year that make you shake your head in wonder, but rare are the ones that make you want to scream “I need an adult!”
Deal Addict
Jan 9, 2011
3066 posts
2571 upvotes
Vancouver
I always am inundated with Starbucks gift cards. I just give them to my kids.

One of the best gifts I ever received from a student was a bottle of vinegar. Seriously! Specialty white balsamic with Gravenstein apple. I used it to make dressing for spinach-strawberry-poppyseed-feta salad. That salad was always a huge hit with anyone I made it for.
18% = GTA residents as a proportion of Canada's total population
97% = chance that an RFDer lives in the GTA when he posts something location specific, without giving a location

Were you hit with surprise customs/import fees on an Amazon.ca purchase?
May 12, 2014
716 posts
328 upvotes
Markham, ON
If going with gift cards, why not the Canada gift card? Can use it anywhere in the country and even convert to other countries' gift cards.

I've given this to my kids' day care workers and teachers and have not heard of any complaints.
Deal Addict
Jan 2, 2015
1325 posts
582 upvotes
Wine wouldn’t be inappropriate if you know the teacher well enough. I have a friend who gives a bottle baileys or gourmet liquor like that.

We try to find something we know the teacher will like or something personal, but if unsure, we will stick to gift cards. This year we are doing chapters gift cards as I know the teachers love the read and writing journal, as the teacher also did writers club.
On a 'smart' device that isn't always so smart. So please forgive the autocorrects and typos. If it brothers you, then don't read my posts, but don't waste my time correcting me. If you can get past the typos, then my posts generally have some value.
Jun 11, 2006
151 posts
122 upvotes
Kiraly wrote:
Jun 18th, 2018 9:23 pm
I always am inundated with Starbucks gift cards. I just give them to my kids.
I have given many Starbucks cards, though last year I switched to Walmart. So since I want to give gift cards, what's a good choice? Walmart, Chapters, Amazon, Dollarama? I usually give a McCafe card to the bus driver.

I get my kids to write a note, but I don't like getting "stuff", because I myself don't like clutter, lol!
Deal Addict
Jan 9, 2011
3066 posts
2571 upvotes
Vancouver
stack1 wrote:
Jun 19th, 2018 4:43 pm
I have given many Starbucks cards, though last year I switched to Walmart. So since I want to give gift cards, what's a good choice? Walmart, Chapters, Amazon, Dollarama? I usually give a McCafe card to the bus driver.

I get my kids to write a note, but I don't like getting "stuff", because I myself don't like clutter, lol!
Chapters, Dollarama, and Amazon are good choices. All are places where teachers buy work-related stuff. Best gift for an elementary school teacher? A box of pencil erasers. Erasers tend to sprout legs and walk away. Teachers can never have too many. Same as boxes of kleenex for kindergarten teachers. Any kindergarten teacher will tell you that a steady supply of kleenex is absolutely essential, but of course the school doesn't supply that.
18% = GTA residents as a proportion of Canada's total population
97% = chance that an RFDer lives in the GTA when he posts something location specific, without giving a location

Were you hit with surprise customs/import fees on an Amazon.ca purchase?
Dec 15, 2009
950 posts
165 upvotes
Ontario
Public servants are not supposed to accept gifts from clients.

What are kids and their parents if not by extension clients to this field of employment?

Gifts to people compensated handsomely drives me batty. The gamesmanship between parents is inane. The fact some kids feel like crap b/c their families can't afford lavish gifts while others can, sucks.

If you feel an overwhelming need to reward a teacher send those dollars toward early childhood caregivers who earn a pittance compared to their grade school counterparts.

Best idea is to let your kid give them something they made IMO.

Caveat: I am a public servant and am not allowed to take gifts of any kind from folks outside the organization and I thoroughly agree with this policy.